Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

And a problem (anti-ailiasing)

Hi. I installed the latest Catalyst 4.9 drivers for my Radeon 9800 Pro (the drivers with the new 'control center' alluded to in an earlier post here). I also installed the FS9.1 patch (and SP2 as well!). Everything is OK, apart from the fact that I now seem to lose my anti-ailiasing with boring regularity. One minute the plane's OK, next it looks like a saw blade. Sometimes reselecting the aircraft helps - other times rerunning FS9, others only a restart of the PC. I have a suspicion that it is to do with low memory, although I have 1024MB DDR RAM (which tests out as working fine when I run a benchmark/RAM tester) and have set 1000MB as a page file: I occasionally get a yellow ! warning in the taskbar that I am low on virtual memory and it is being increased - so I end up with a 1200MBs plus page file whilst still having 450MBs or more of free RAM, according to RAM Idle et al....I have set both FS9 and the graphics card to high anti-ailiasing settings, then disabled just one, then the other, in case they 'clash'. Doesn't seem to help...... Again, suggestions welcome, especially from any fellow Radeon 9800 users.Martin S. :-)

Martin:Clean out ALL of your old Radeon drivers and reboot with just the default VGA drivers and then reinstall.I had the same problem and that solved it. If I may suggest, you may want to try the latest Radeon Omega drivers. They are faster and seem to give better quality than the default ATI drivers.If you need more help, please email me.HTH,Mike T.

Guest _patrol_

If re-installing doesn't help you could download the 4.9 drivers with the ATI control panel. A lot of people are having problems with the new "control center". I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and am using 4.9 and the old control panel with no problems. You are probably better off disabling anti-alias within FS9. By the way there is a new 4.10 driver out, and an even newer beta driver.David

Thanks for the replies, and the offer of further help. Ironic about the Omega drivers - I've been using them for the past year and just thought I'd try ATI's 'originals' instead. A mistake by the look of it. I saw the 4.10 ATI drivers, by the way, but they were only beta at the time (a couple of weeks ago) so left them for a while. If there's an alpha version now, I could try those - but I always liked the Omega drivers I must say and may well go back to them. I think I'll send a message to ATI too...If this doesn't cure the loss of anti-ailiasing every ten minutes, (i.e. it's not a driver problem - though I am fairly sure it must be) I'll post again!Martin :-)

Installed the Omega drivers - but I still get the saw blade textures. They are OK when I start the flight, but come on when I put a lot of 'load' on the programme - by being at an add-on airport which already causes a rame rate hit, then starting FS Navigator, for instance. Si I'm still experimenting...M.