Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

Ordered the parts for my new FSX PC

Hi fellow simmers, i want to share with you all the parts of my new build.

CPU i7-4770k

Asrock z87 extreme6 atx mobo

Asus directcu ii top GTX670 video card

Corsair h110 watercooler

2x4gb 2400mhz gskill tridentx CL10 ram

Kingston v300 120GB SSD (for fsx)

WD 1TB

Ocz ZX series 850w fully mod. Certified gold PSU

Fractal design Arc Midi 2 case (one of a few that can support the 280mm radiator without heavy modding)

What do you guys think. Should do fine right?

Price 1200usd

Had to repost I dont know why this tapatalk app of mine does this continuous text.

CPU i7-4770k

Asrock z87 extreme6 atx mobo

Asus directcu ii top GTX670 video card

Corsair h110 watercooler

2x4gb 2400mhz gskill tridentx CL10 ram

Kingston v300 120GB SSD (for fsx)

WD 1TB HDD

Ocz ZX series 850w fully mod. Certified gold PSU

Fractal design Arc Midi 2 case (one of a few that can support the 280mm radiator without heavy modding)

What do you guys think. Should do fine right? Cost 1200usd

Yeah...Got it right!

HLJAMES

Yeah...Got it right!

HLJAMES

Question,

Should I install FSX in the SSD alone and windows OS in the sata HD? Or you recommend me installing both in the SSD?

Thanks!

I would put the OS on the SSD and FSX on the HDD. Boot time and OS response time alone make the SSD worth it, while you'll only gain few to 30 sec in FSX loading times if its on the SSD. Should be a nice system btw.

Should I install FSX in the SSD alone and windows OS in the sata HD? Or you recommend me installing both in the SSD?
Thanks!

I'd leave the SSD alone for FSX and install Windows on the 1TB HDD.

Question,

Thanks!

I would consider getting another SSD (500 Gb), put FSX on the 500 and the OS on the 120.  I would have bought a 240 Gb for the OS.  Those drives fill up fast.  Use the raptor for archiving and backup.  Great rig as it is.  I'm especially interested in the Haswell results.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I'd leave the SSD alone for FSX and install Windows on the 1TB HDD.

Why? His new system will be very fast loading FSX with the WD. Only exception maybe if he plans to run 80+ gigs of photo scenery, then he'll run out of room on that 120G drive quickly anyway. OS will have much more useful and noticeable speed benefits.

I've also got a i7 4770k on the way with a Asus Z-87 Pro and a Silver Arrow air cooler. As for the OP, I too think you'll get a lot more joy from having that SSD dedicated to FSX if FSX is your primary objective. When I installed a FSX dedicated SSD it was a huge improvement in load times (way more than 30 sec), at least for the scenery stuff I use; that was the only reason I wanted the SSD. My new system will have a 250GB SSD system drive plus the FSX dedicated 128GB; media and backup files will be stored on HDs. Graphics will be my existing 660 ti 3GB driving a single 24" 1920x1080 monitor.  Also reusing my existing 1.5v 2x4GB 2133 cas 10 ram sticks.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I have W7 on a 256 gb Samsung 840 pro and FSX on another identical SSD. Couldn't be happier. SSD prices have dropped substantially the past couple of years to the point that I wouldn't even consider a HDD for a new build. Regards

I have W7 on a 256 gb Samsung 840 pro and FSX on another identical SSD. Couldn't be happier. SSD prices have dropped substantially the past couple of years to the point that I wouldn't even consider a HDD for a new build. Regards

Same here. Two SSD's are better than one! It's only money. :-D

Seems I got a lucky draw from the 4770k lottery.  So far all is stable at 4.5Ghz with 2133 RAM.  It'll be days until I get all my software configured...unfortunately my alias speaks for itself.  BTW, this thing SMOKES my i7 860; see my post above for system details.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Seems I got a lucky draw from the 4770k lottery.  So far all is stable at 4.5Ghz with 2133 RAM.  It'll be days until I get all my software configured...unfortunately my alias speaks for itself.  BTW, this thing SMOKES my i7 860; see my post above for system details.

Glad to hear it Rod.

How's the Silver Arrow doing for temps at 4.5? In FSX and Prime.

Finally got some quality time with my new computer.  Running either Prime or FSX, at 4.5Ghz with no HT at 1.21v, maxed temps at 76c, average seemed about 73c.  Using HT with Prime bumped the temps by 10c.  This seem a bit high, but also the room ambient was 28c (82f).  So far nothing I've run has failed with my OC.  I do not have the extreme version Silver Arrow SB-E; I work with noisy computers and to not have howling fans while I'm flying is IMO worth the performance compromise.  Even at max RPM, this cooler is much quieter than the dual fan Hyper 212+ of my old build.

Rod O.