Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

Ordered the parts for my new FSX PC

I see 65-70 in Prime with my 3770K at 4.5, with the D14. 

Your ambient is 8 degrees hotter than mine usually is in the UK. So not much different.

10C is the typical thermal penalty with HT on. I always turn it off, and overclock higher.

Thanks for the comparison info. I was considering getting the D14, but the clincher was that the Silver Arrow SB-E is just as effective and quiet at about half the weight, plus it has PWM fans. No regrets with my 4770k; it is a HUGE FSX performance boost over my retired i7 860 at 3.9Ghz.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Hi fellow simmers, i want to share with you all the parts of my new build. CPU i7-4770k Asrock z87 extreme6 atx mobo Asus directcu ii top GTX670 video card Corsair h110 watercooler 2x4gb 2400mhz gskill tridentx CL10 ram Kingston v300 120GB SSD (for fsx) WD 1TB Ocz ZX series 850w fully mod. Certified gold PSU Fractal design Arc Midi 2 case (one of a few that can support the 280mm radiator without heavy modding) What do you guys think. Should do fine right? Price 1200usd

According to the video below, the Corsair H110 will not fit. 

6:10 into the video. So how did you get on? Did you have to mod it a bit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVqFb2eKN_4

Seems I got a lucky draw from the 4770k lottery.  So far all is stable at 4.5Ghz with 2133 RAM. 

Same configuration here my friend. Although my vcore is a little high 1.31v, I picked a below average one but my h110 keeps it ok under aida64 hovering the 80s. 

According to the video below, the Corsair H110 will not fit. 

6:10 into the video. So how did you get on? Did you have to mod it a bit?

Not at all, I took off the upper HDD stands and moved the lower one a little to the left, the h110 sits in the front, and thats a pull push configuration there. :)

Nice build there!

After setting "Adaptive Voltage" to 1.17v and reseating my cooler I've gotten my FSX temps down to 64c average, 70c max with my 4770k at 4.5Ghz no HT. Stability benchs saw about 6c to 8c drop in temps. Maybe in a few weeks I'll get a serious itch to delid...waiting on NickN's promised "how-to" guide.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Looks great!  Can you give us an idea of how FSX is performing with your settings?

Looks great! Can you give us an idea of how FSX is performing with your settings?

So far is great. I've spent a lot of time tweaking it tho. I've used the guide sticked in this forum for the most part combined with some of the old Bojotes tweaks. CPU at 4.5GHz does a great job keeping my FPS in the 30 and up. In the VC of the NGX and a big airport in a big city using REX and GEX it fluctuates in the low 20s and up. Works for me, I also have all the sliders maximized and using dx10.

TheFamilyMan, on 09 Jul 2013 - 6:37 PM, said:

Nice build there!

After setting "Adaptive Voltage" to 1.17v and reseating my cooler I've gotten my FSX temps down to 64c average, 70c max with my 4770k at 4.5Ghz no HT. Stability benchs saw about 6c to 8c drop in temps. Maybe in a few weeks I'll get a serious itch to delid...waiting on NickN's promised "how-to" guide.

Will Nick N's de-lidding how to guide be any different to any one else's? There are so many "how to" guides in regard to de-lidding, I'm not sure how much he can add. A bit late to the game perhaps?

There are one or two variations to the technique. Some have tried warming the CPU in an over first, to soften the adhesive. In my case, when I was considering de-lidding, I downloaded the 3770K schematics, so I knew the exact measurement. That way I knew precisely where the die was in relation to the IHS. With a margin of error of course, in case the manufacturing process varies.

I agree that there is nothing new about delidding, and I've already read/watched several guides on doing it (that vice/hammer thing is really too much IMO).  I'm content with the performance I'm getting 'stock' and in no hurry; seeing how thorough NickN is with this guides, I'm curious if it'll reveal additional tricks or traps on the process.

Rod O.

Yep, I'm curious too.

The guys with the hammers are nuts. :biggrin: