Sign in to follow this  
akriesman

Specific AD vs. USA Roads question

Guest Stryker

I'm currently considering both of these products but I was wondering if owners (or developers) of either could clarify a couple of things. First of all, as I mainly fly near Chicago or Fort Lauderdale, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase of either product as they both seem to cast a "net" over large cities. I realize this is a fault of MSFS and not the add-on, but still, that's how it looks and I usually fly at FL390 so like i said the purchase of either is of questionable use to me. On the other hand, I-95 is barely recognizable in the default scenery and I do like to fly near the rural areas where I grew up from time to time. (especially when I used Terrascene to make accurate roads back in my Fly! days)So here's my question: I know both products have the option to use either "all roads" or "only major roads." I think I remember reading in a review that in USA Roads you have to install the product with one option or the other, then reinstall if you want to switch. You can't simply make the non-major roads "invisible" say when transitioning from a large city to a rural area. Is this true? Also, how does the AD product handle changing configurations? In any of them can you change it on the fly?Thanks in advance for the answers,

>I'm currently considering both of these products but I was>wondering if owners (or developers) of either could clarify a>couple of things. First of all, as I mainly fly near Chicago>or Fort Lauderdale, I'm having a hard time justifying the>purchase of either product as they both seem to cast a "net">over large cities. I realize this is a fault of MSFS and not>the add-on, but still, that's how it looks and I usually fly>at FL390 so like i said the purchase of either is of>questionable use to me. On the other hand, I-95 is barely>recognizable in the default scenery and I do like to fly near>the rural areas where I grew up from time to time. (especially>when I used Terrascene to make accurate roads back in my Fly!>days)>>So here's my question: I know both products have the option>to use either "all roads" or "only major roads." I think I>remember reading in a review that in USA Roads you have to>install the product with one option or the other, then>reinstall if you want to switch. You can't simply make the>non-major roads "invisible" say when transitioning from a>large city to a rural area. Is this true? Also, how does the>AD product handle changing configurations? In any of them can>you change it on the fly?>>Thanks in advance for the answers,I have USA roads, and you do not have to reinstall but you are correct once you have made your choice thats it. Once usa roads is installed it is just a matter of clicking on a setup icon on the desk top and chose your option. It makes the change when you start the sim. It is simple and you can change it over and over.

Guest Stryker

Thanks again for the answer.I'll prolly get the AD roads, since it's a $5 difference for with the roads vs. without. Then if I find that I actually enjoy the roads (i.e. i notice them at FL 350 or start flying smaller craft) I might get the USA ones, mainly for the improved look and textures than the accuracy. I usually fly in flat areas so flattening is not an issue really for me.I remember Terrascene for Fly! being very accurate in my particular corner of Indiana, and it used free USGS data as well (not sure if it was Tiger or not). It had all the county roads near my parents' farm house as well as the drainage ditch said house. I bet the AD stuff will be similar.

Jeremy:I have both and think the preference is probably in the eyes of the beholder. I prefer the USA roads, but it is nice to be able to cut off the roads at the water's edge in AD even though they are no where near as accurate as USA Roads. Streams are just that in AD, and no major changes are made to any body of water of any size, river or lake.One item which as far as the developer and I could tell is unique to my system for USA Roads. At any rate, I have never seen anybody else post this situation.With USA Roads, I had to manually remove all of the FS9 Default Road BGL's. When I installed USA roads, both their scenery (roads) and the defaults were shown. Useing the option panel for choice did not remove the defaults for me. This was a one time thing as I have no desire to go back to the defaults but I backed them up anyway just in case.Good luck:RTH

Right now, only highways and major roads cross water in USA Roads. We did this to simulate water crossings that had no bridge objects in FS2004.The negative to this philosophy is that you sometimes get both bridge objects and the flat bridges in USA Roads. FWIW, we are just a few days from releasing a patch that will remove all the roads from crossing the water in USA Roads. The patch will only be about a 2 or 3 mb download.Cheers,Allen KriesmanScenery Solutions