Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Upcoming Weather simulation and Rendering...

Question

12 answers to this question

One screenshot appears to show isolated rain showers .. if that does happen we are in for a treat. Flightgear is currently a very fun sim, easy to jump into and atmospheric (not just the weather) with better weather it will be maturing into something very formidable on the flightsim scene. 

Also, the scenery looks better too!

I'm now considering installing v2.10 for experimenting. I hear good thing about it.

I'm always bouncing from FSX to XP10 (back and forth) but i'm really getting bored of XP (Visibility distance and clouds, do not meet my requirements, yet)

I'm always bouncing from FSX to XP10

Me too :-)  and DCS World too, and... MS FLIGHT, and Flight Gear :)

Weather modelling in FG is already very interesting, although for instance wind and turbulence effect leave a lot to be desired. 

From my RL experience I find XPX and MS FLIGHT to be the two best simulators for weather effects such as wind and turbulence, but FG can become the third ex-aequo ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I find XPX and MS FLIGHT to be the two best simulators for weather effects such as wind and turbulence, but FG can become the third ex-aequo ;-)

I've never dig into MSFlight but I heard good things about it. My perfect mix would XP Dynamics & Turbulence and FSX beautiful scenery / Visibility & Haze.

Nevertheless, FG looks very promising. Downloading now.

FG looks very promising. Downloading now.

I'm waiting for the next release, in a month, I believe...

The latest news look GREAT!  http://www.flightgear.org/about/news/ ... and I just noticed that turbulence and winds will be different / better than in previous versions :-)

Flight Gear is really getting better, FOR FREE, at each new version...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

One screenshot appears to show isolated rain showers ..

I think these have been there for quite a long time.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I'm waiting for the next release, in a month, I believe...

The latest news look GREAT!  http://www.flightgear.org/about/news/ ... and I just noticed that turbulence and winds will be different / better than in previous versions :-)

Flight Gear is really getting better, FOR FREE, at each new version...

How is aircraft handling / physics in flightgear? I thing this is the only flightsim i never tried :)

How is aircraft handling / physics in flightgear? I thing this is the only flightsim i never tried :)

It depends on the FDM used by the model. The most sophisticated, now also supporting rotary wing, is JSBSim. The model looks more detailed than the one used in MSFS, and it is, at least theoretically, possible to design an aircraft with more close to real flight dynamics than in MSFS (9, X).

Some of the aircraft in 2.10 feel very good! For me, though, and as a X-Plane10 user who keeps complaining about that huge / irrealistic roll due to torque that plagues prop aircraft in X-Plane10, all I found was that FGs prop aircraft using the JSBSim have exactly the same behavior, so, I believe that the same forces that in RL overcome the torque aren't also modeled in FG, at least to the point of being able to overcome that irrealistic roll ...

There are a few very good models, like the P51d, the C337, etc... SOme airliners have programmable FMCs and other sophisticated systems modeled showing the capabilities of the platform to model complex aircraft.

I suggest that you wait for the next release - 2.11 - and try it. It's $0,00 / €0,00 :)

Main Simulation Rig:

i know what JSBSim can do... Try Majestic Q400 :) There are some minor buggs to be fixed, but FD is awesome. This is why i asked about flightgear, i know what FDM was used. Thanks

i know what JSBSim can do...

But remeber... it is always subject to the GIGO rules... Should precise data be available for a given aircraft, I am sure JSBSim will shine! OTOH if poor / limited, probably even inconsistent parameters are fed in, the result will necessarily be a bad one...

Main Simulation Rig:

I finally install it.

A little bit disoriented surfing in the menu and keybding but that's the learning curve.

I didn't expect to have an eye candy sim but so far, FDM is really good and especially, I like the dynamic head movement.

I run at 60 fps (seems to be locked at) with stock rendering system but i'm disappointed with Rembrandt which runs between 15-19 fps. I'll experiement different settings next time i'll fire it up.