Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

I7 2700K and GTX 580 vs I7 4770K and GTX Titan

Hello i can't decide if its worth upgrading from my current I7 2700k at 5GHZ and GTX 580 to the new I7 4770k and the GTX Titan or shall i wait for Ivy Bridge Extreme or even Haswell Extreme thanks. 

Alexander Shepherd

Not worth the upgrade unless you have money to burn.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

If it's just for FSX, you'd have to be close to insane to switch out a perfectly fine 5GHz setup, which is running stable, for a completely new one, which probably won't even go as high.

In other games, the TITAN will make quite a huge difference vs the GTX580. In FSX, not so much.

If it's just for FSX, you'd have to be close to insane to switch out a perfectly fine 5GHz setup, which is running stable, for a completely new one, which probably won't even go as high.

In other games, the TITAN will make quite a huge difference vs the GTX580. In FSX, not so much.

He dont need more than 4.2 ghz with good mems to outperform a 5ghz 2700k

Sure, but I wasn't talking about outperforming, I'm talking about bang for buck.

While the change from 3.4 to 4.2 GHz is VERY noticeable, the change from 4.2 to 5.0 is far, far less so.

And if you put some decent memory on the 2700k, it'll still give the 4770k a run for it's money. ;-)

Been watching these 4770k threads with interest. As far as I can see from westman's post in the FSMark thread 4.7Ghz gives around 55fps. My 2700K probably gives not far short of 50fps at 4.9Ghz. You could say that the 10% is worth it but first of all you have to risk buying a chip that may never reach 4.7Ghz and even if you do you seem to need to move to water to do it.

Not worth it in my view.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Sure, but I wasn't talking about outperforming, I'm talking about bang for buck.

While the change from 3.4 to 4.2 GHz is VERY noticeable, the change from 4.2 to 5.0 is far, far less so.

And if you put some decent memory on the 2700k, it'll still give the 4770k a run for it's money. ;-)

Bang for buck ;0k

3.4 - 5.0 no difference scale the same if the system is properly OC:ed

You can put in the best memorys you can find, and its way after.

You can read the FSMark11 tread it confirm it , search after the fastest 2700k check memspeed and timings and clock

Hasse

Oh, we're talking about silly numbers showing up, and not ACTUAL performance? In that case, I'm out.

And no, the scaling with increase in CPU performance in FSX most certainly does not happen on a linear basis.

Been watching these 4770k threads with interest. As far as I can see from westman's post in the FSMark thread 4.7Ghz gives around 55fps. My 2700K probably gives not far short of 50fps at 4.9Ghz. You could say that the 10% is worth it but first of all you have to risk buying a chip that may never reach 4.7Ghz and even if you do you seem to need to move to water to do it.

Not worth it in my view.

Its hard to justfy a uppgrade from 2700k to a 4770k but with 3x view setup it can be worth it. honest my uppgrade from 2700k to 3770k was a very small gain "not worth it".

If you get a chip that do 4.6 its on the edge but 4770k run smoother ( subjective).

Video card if we see to what you get in fps i should uppgrade the cpu first then the gpu

Right thanks for your help i think im going to just upgrade the GPU to the GTX Titan and leave the rest my motherboard is an Asus Z77 Sabertooth i got 8GB of Corsair memory at 2133 MHZ but i set it to 1600 MHZ i want to be able to fly at Heathrow with most settings on max.

Alexander Shepherd

My 2700K probably gives not far short of 50fps at 4.9Ghz

Not even close... I ran mine in FSMark11 and got right around 41-42. 

Not even close... I ran mine in FSMark11 and got right around 41-42. 

There must be something wrong with your system or test set up. A significant number of the 2600k/2700k tests listed https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApeEiOXGIvXidG9rNUdkSi13a09fb0JPQU5CektEelE#gid=0 are in the 46 to 48 range. Possibly the 660ti not strong enough?

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

There must be something wrong with your system or test set up. A significant number of the 2600k/2700k tests listed https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApeEiOXGIvXidG9rNUdkSi13a09fb0JPQU5CektEelE#gid=0 are in the 46 to 48 range. Possibly the 660ti not strong enough?

No there is nothing wrong with my setup. 

JohnFromCO 43.7 | i5-2500k | 4.70 | GTX 680 - My results were very similar to this. 

The 660Ti is a perfectly adequate card and has no problem with FSX. In fact, my tests showed it to be decently faster than my older GTX580 with SGSS. 

And no, the scaling with increase in CPU performance in FSX most certainly does not happen on a linear basis.

There have been plenty of tests that have shown otherwise. 100MHZ increases usually yeild 1 FPS in CPU demanding scenarios.