Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

I7 2700K and GTX 580 vs I7 4770K and GTX Titan

Why so much RAM? I understand maybe 16 if you do lots of photo/video editing but 32 is complete overkill. 

Some simmers use XP-10, there is other games also who will require more memory, resolution is also a big part od how much mem. you'll need.

RAM disc.... RAM disc ... RAM disc...

LOL, no please, don't go there haha

BTW, I'm with Ben here. 8GB is more than adequate for FSX. Imean FSX is a 32 bit app and can only use up to 4GB, if you're also running stuff that will take up another 4-5GB you should ask yourself why on earth is something so intensive hogging your resources when they should be devoted to FSX.

I Also agree with Ben there's nothing wrong with Ti cards as long as you don't push AA / resolution beyond the card's capabilities, but that applies to every GPU out there.

On the original topic, performance of an overclocked I7 2700K (say 4.8GHz) is pretty much the same as an Haswell @ 4.1 - 4.2GHz. You can also get a little extra boost from faster memory, if you don't delid then you can expect something like 4.4-4.6GHz with Haswell... a 10% perf boost over Sandy Bridge or something.

Haswell is faster, but is a 10-20% faster enough to justify an upgrade from a 2500k-2600k-2700K? not in my opinion but to each thir own.

By the way, I respect NickN very much, but it's sort of weird to see him so enthusiastic about his new mainstream - 2-channel - 8MB L3 cache Haswell chip after all the arguments on mainstream vs enthusiastic paltforms in the past

LOL, no please, don't go there haha

Hi Dario.

Respecting your greater knowledge. :im Not Worthy:

MSI X87 motherboards support up to 64Gb and come with free (payware quality) RAMdisc software. OS supports 64 bits. Ram is relatively faster than SSD's. Why not run Windoz and applications in RAM discs if I have no reason to save results?

Hi Dario.

Respecting your greater knowledge. :im Not Worthy:

MSI X87 motherboards support up to 64Gb and come with free (payware quality) RAMdisc software. OS supports 64 bits. Ram is relatively faster than SSD's. Why not run Windoz and applications in RAM discs if I have no reason to save results?

There are some situations where RAMdisks can be useful, like what linux does with tmpfs for temp files, but to run apps from a RAMDisk is big no IMO. There are plenty threads on the matter, some here, some of which I was involved and I really couldn't go through that again LOL

i want to be able to fly at Heathrow with most settings on max

Not sure any rig can do that if you be using the payware EGGL.

spacer.png

Not sure any rig can do that if you be using the payware EGGL

You certainly can if you use FS9.  :lol:

No there is nothing wrong with my setup.

JohnFromCO | 43.7 | i5-2500k | 4.70 | GTX 680 - My results were very similar to this.

The 660Ti is a perfectly adequate card and has no problem with FSX. In fact, my tests showed it to be decently faster than my older GTX580 with SGSS.

There have been plenty of tests that have shown otherwise. 100MHZ increases usually yeild 1 FPS in CPU demanding scenarios.

Exactly. See. I have a problem believing a few of the results in the table. At 4.2 on my 2600k and DDR-1600 C9 T1 ram I average 35 in the test when done "by the book". When I ramped up to 4.5, with 1866 C9 but T2 ram, I saw about 38 in the same test. Then looking at the table and there are people with older and slower in the 40's and higher results than others with faster GPU and CPU's. Um OK. Strangest scaling I have ever seen in controlled tests.

I believe by your results you ran it right.

Strange indeed.

By the way, I respect NickN very much, but it's sort of weird to see him so enthusiastic about his new mainstream - 2-channel - 8MB L3 cache Haswell chip after all the arguments on mainstream vs enthusiastic paltforms in the past

Very well put Dario.

I have been trying to find a way to express the same thoughts, but which, as usual for me, might have taken a thousand words.

Kind regards,

Very well put Dario.

I have been trying to find a way to express the same thoughts, but which, as usual for me, might have taken a thousand words.

Kind regards,

And you know what? after some later events, I happen to have completely lost respect for the guy.

If any of Nick's followers and fans feels tempted to take it him to have his back as usually happens, please don't bother, don't waste your time and don't waste mine because I could care less

There are a couple of ways to answer this question, IMHO.  The first is from the perspective of value or "bang for buck" and as an owner of a Haswell/GK 110 system (GTX 780 = mini Titan) I would have to say the answer is without a doubt no.  However, if you desire some form of upgrade and don't care about the cost then the answer is undoubtedly yes, you will get an FPS boost in every scenario from this upgrade.  Now, you may need to spend a little extra money on cooling and also de-lid the Haswell chip but again, if you're going for all out performance and cost isn't your biggest concern then it's worth it.  

I will wait for Haswell Extreme i think that sounds the best bet as it supports DDR4 ram.

I am looking forward to these results. I could sneak an upgrade in I think soon. Currently 2600K @ 4.4 on P8P76 with 8GB DDR-1600 C9 T1 and stable. Only time I have a struggle is JS41 around giant airports with AI buzzing around in bad weather. Then I am back to the old mid 20's in the FPS department. I think we are probably within one CPU and RAM archetecture release of finally having systems approach 30 locked with near maxed settings in the nightmare scenarios.

C.

I was under the impression that limiting your ram modules in an overclock environment contributed to stability. Less ram  modules, less chance of ram failure, less chance of BSOD. 

Those "championship" overclock guys use like 1gb on their 8 Ghz setups.  I always try to stick to 2, high quality modules so there are less moving parts to go wrong.

I have yet to see anything that justifies a haswell for FSX...money could better spent on upgrading IMHO, say to a good K i5.

spacer.png