Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rex Farley

Shimmering

Guest shelley1995

Hi, I am using GeFx5500 256mb graphics card. Have tried 2 different kinds of drivers and I have stuttering where sim will pause and resume about every minute and there is shimmering of landscape and so forth. I have plenty of memory. Thanks for any help,Windows XPSony RZ series2.83512256mb graphics cardFS09Logitech soundblaster speaker21" Sony Trinitron monitor

Guest C17SimGuy

shimmering is usually fixed by reducing the MIP level in FS to 4 or 5. The stuttering every minute may be a process you have running in the background, like Norton Antivirus or something similar?-drew

Guest shelley1995

Hi, Thanks for responding. I don't have anything running in the background. I do have the highspeed internet but when I am using flight simulator, I turn it off. I don't know what else I can do? Thank you again, S.

Guest C17SimGuy

Um. . .do you have any FS programs that save your progress? I recall someone using a file called autosave.dll in their modules directory that would stop FS to save every mintue ore so. . .this caused a pause. There are a LOT of different things that cause pauses. . .changes in weather ffrom the FS weather engine, entering new scenery areas where FS has to draw new items, etc. You can always try playing with the display settings in FS to see if there are any improvements. Sorry I can't help any more! Good luck!-drew

Guest allcott

2 different drivers is nowhere near enough. Each driver set brings permutations and problems which could cause this problem. Which 2 have you tried? And how did you uninstall/install them?And by the way, there is a hardware forum for these problems, this post will likely be moved there once a moderator spots it.Oh and if the 512 in your sig refers to your memory, then you don't have plenty. You have barely enough. 768 is better, 1024 best for XP.Allcott

Guest Rex Farley

I shut down all the unneeded services that xp defaults on. This did wonders for my system. I also do not allow any programs to start at boot. The only stuff that runs comes on when I tell it to.Go here and read about all those services running in the background. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htmDisabling theses services freed up enough cpu to eliminate stutters on my system.Hope this helps,Rex

Guest ryebred

Unfortunately, I beleive it is your card. I have the Geforce fX 5700 with 256MB of RAM and I get the same thing. I have tried everything but the slight stutters still remain. I overclocked my graphics card and this helped a bit but they will never dissapear. I have browsed the message boards at 3dguru and chatted with others who have the same card and it seems to be a consistant problem. My friend brought over his new Gefore 6800 GT and I tried it in my computer and what a difference it made. No stutters even with maxed AA/AF and the textures looked very crisp with no more shimmering. So, I am going to buy one for myself soon also.

Guest Rex Farley

>Unfortunately, I beleive it is your card. I have the Geforce>fX 5700 with 256MB of RAM and I get the same thing. I have this card also on an AMD 3.2, 1gig ram, no stutters.When I ran a GF4 4800 on a P4 2.53, 512 ram I had stutters until I shut down services, especially on heavy aircraft. Rex