Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Air Scheffel Addons

Just when you thought you had it all...

I idly paged through Arjan's website the other day, and realised there was a gauge I hadn't installed!

B738Rain1.png

It's called "Rainwash Gauge" 

http://www.airscheffel.com/

The screens don't really show it, but it's a very good effect, not like smoke at all, the droplets look "heavy" and settle quite quickly.

If the airport has AES-enabled wet runways (sorry these screens at NZRO do not) it's all very convincing indeed.

B738Rain3.png

It does a nice reverse thrust cascade, too:

B738Rain2.png

This remains an amazing bit of work, still the only airliner I fly totally "By the Book" (Largely because it doesn't allow any other way, and makes it so easy!)

I have it set up on most all of my airliners where I  have the room in the lights section. I also have an effect for the spray from the landing gear / tires which makes both even more convincing. The gear effect is by Dennis Franke here on AVSIM, v2.1 plus v2.1 fix.

Regards,

The gear effect is by Dennis Franke here on AVSIM, v2.1 plus v2.1 fix.
Interesting! Do you perhaps have aircraft and panel.cfg files for the Scheffel plane, using this?

Interesting! Do you perhaps have aircraft and panel.cfg files for the Scheffel plane, using this?

Sorry, no I don't. The set up in the panel.cfg is pretty much universal though. Here is an example for the gear spray effect. (From my PA Airbus 320)

gauge72=spray!rain_spray,      0,0,10,10
gauge73=spray!gear_spray,  0,0,10,10
gauge74=spray!front_gear_spray,  0,0,10,10

Just change the gauge numbers accordingly and add to the end of your main panel section. The three gauges will be in the upper left hand corner of the bit map and unseen.

For the aircraft.cfg (also from the PA A320) here is the relevant portion:

light.3=8, -22.50, 19, 0, AS_Rainwash.fx
light.4=8, -22.50, -19, 0, AS_Rainwash.fx

light.5=10, 35.84, 0.0, -11.9619, Gear_Rainwash.fx
light.6=9,  -6.660, -12.458, -12.22, Gear_Rainwash.fx
light.7=9,  -6.660,  12.458, -12.22, Gear_Rainwash.fx

The only trick is to position the effects so that they actually appear to originate around the wheels, use the contact point section, and the wheel location(s) as a start point.

Also note:

[LIGHTS]        
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo

As per light.7=9 -6.660,  12.458, -12.22, Gear_Rainwash.fx ,as an example - light.7=9 - refers to logo light so if you have a logo light switch in your panel and you switch it on you'll have a conflict of sorts. You need to edit out any reference to the interfering light types to remove this kind of conflict.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Many thanks... on a first pass quick look I did have a trail of spray emanating from somewhere below, at 5,000 ft!

I am wondering if effects like these are not better served from the [smoke] section, like edetroit's flap vortex effect discussed previously?

And they should be strictly conditional, so as not to interfere with "normal" functions.

Already I can hear someone saying "Well write your own darn effect then!"  :)

Well, the most sophisticated flap vortices (with the best possibilities to control) which I created under Ed's supervision were served from the [Lights] section, too.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Just personal preference I know... I often taxi around in spot view, and idly press "L" or "<Ctrl> - L" if I forgot the lights.

Getting a huge plume of spray while stationary doesn't do it for me!

I used Ed's vortex running from the [smoke] section as I never use the "I" key on airliners anyway. 

Getting a huge plume of spray while stationary doesn't do it for me!

All season deicing! Yeah that's the ticket. There is always a work around, all you have to do is lie to your imagination or your realistic observation! Whichever works best as required.

Seriously, yes it seem there is always a factor of get some, give some with FS9. I looked through the cab files related to these effects and there really isn't much room for improvement unless you go so far out of the box that it is absurd. Limitations of FS9 are like being duct taped to the inside of the box!

Regards,

Hi all. I can't help but resurrect this topic. WingZ - I see from your screenshots that when you apply reverse thrust, you get a proper looking, reverse thrust effect, that is, the water is being pushed in front of the airplane, not behind it. Bu when I apply reverse thrust, with these effects applied, I still get the same effect that should pop up when applying forward thrust; the water is still being blown behind the airplane (as it would do when applying fwd thrust), despite the engine blowing it in front, in reverse. I'm 100% sure I've done everything correctly, so are you using some modified version of this effect, or is it an older one? Could you send me your copy, just to be sure? Because I just don't get this, your looks fine when in reverse (water is blown in front) while mine still blows the water behind the craft when in reverse.

Thanks in advance!