Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

How come some triple screens are not stretched?

this is what I have found,

Early triple screen setups used lower horizontal resolutions, ie. around 3800 x 1200. which works out to aprox. 3 to 1 ratio. This has now risen to some running at 6000 x 1080, nearly 6 to 1.

the horizontal has increased a lot and the vertical has decreased a little, almost 3 times wider. ( in theory )

My early setup used 4066 x 1200 and there was no stretching at all, my new setup will do 6000+ x 1200 as I'm using older monitors, but the distortion at the edges is quite noticable.

I find around 5080 x 1200 gives a better image. maybe some of these video's were made using lower resolution.

watch this video, href="

">
</a></p>

he is running 4066 x 1080 I think, or around there, no stretching at all. He explains a lot, especially the part on aspect ratio and zoom levels.

Hope this helps.

Ron.

Thanks for the link. i dont get how he worked out the correct viewing distance? My screen resolution is 5760x1080 with 3 24" monitors.

i think i worked out the correct zoom?

0.18 x (5760/1080) = 0.96

My current zoom is 0.60 and has severe side distortion.

Thanks for the link. i dont get how he worked out the correct viewing distance? My screen resolution is 5760x1080 with 3 24" monitors.

i think i worked out the correct zoom?

0.18 x (5760/1080) = 0.96
My current zoom is 0.60 and has severe side distortion.

You really need to set the zoom somewhere between .8 and 1 to make the side distortion almost acceptable.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I find around 5080 x 1200 gives a better image. maybe some of these video's were made using lower resolution.

Hi Ron.

I assume 5080X1200 was possible on older 3X 4:3 type monitors only?

Thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi Gb,

I have the older wide screen 16 :10 monitors  max res of 1920 x 1200

sorry typo,  I should have put 5040 x 1200, not 5080. ( each set to 1680 x 1200 )

I can do 5760, but as I said,  I keep it a notch lower as it looks better.  Less distortion, and the quality is not much difference.     As mentioned in the video,

increase aspect ratio =  increases distortion at the edges.

Zoom out=    increases distortion.   ( I use around 1. )

I also only use 3 screens just for outside view, gauges etc. on other monitors,  Changing the wideview aspect in .cfg to false can reduce stretching in some cases when running view only, as it does not lock the vertical picture, and in effect reduces aspect ratio. 

A lot of add on aircraft only use 3D mode, so I generally keep it to 'True', otherwise the instrument panel appears too close. and you have to zoom out to see them, zoom out increases stretching??. :huh:

In the video, he is using 3 x 4:3 monitors, no signs of distortion.

It's something you will have to experiment with, to find what is acceptable,  I do believe that it's worse with the wider screens ( 16:9 )  than it used to be with old 4:3.

I have studied the video many times, he also has 2 more on you tube with same title, 2 & 3.

It can get a little too involved sometimes. :blink:

Ron.

I should have put 5040 x 1200, not 5080. ( each set to 1680 x 1200 )

Ron thanks for the info.

I'm running 3X 1900X1200 (native) as well with nvidia surround (6040X1200 bevel corrected).

I don't see any options for 5040X1200.

I do have 5040X1050 listed.

??

gb.

Hi gb,

that could be the one, too many different resolutions.  But you can create custom resolutions etc.

The point is,  lower the resolution and aspect ratio to reduce the distortion,  something to try out.

I will have another look to see if that is in fact what I have.   Just lower the resolution for the horizontal and see if it makes a difference :rolleyes:

Ron.

Hi Ron,

in search for a sollution to my problem (I'm not the only one apparently) I discovered these posts. Now my head is buzzing even more  :P . The explanation about the photo stuff in the YouTube video I understand (used to be a photographer by trade) but all the other chat goes to fast for me to follow and translate at the same time. But I'm going to listen to it a few more times occasionally, you never know.

I appreciate it that you take so much time the help out the forum members  :excl:

regards, 

Eddy