Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

X-Plane 10 HD Mesh v2 - PREVIEW

Hmm ... I supposed a short term fix would be to un-Zzip  the offending dsf and replace the raster file with an updated DEM ... of course you would have to convert it from Srtm .hgt -> Erdas .raw format which can be done pretty easily with GDAL.

That will make me postpone X-Plane installation on my fresh Windows 8 Install! Well, I bet it will be worth the wait! Have a nice vacation

:O  Postpone? I'm sure Brazil will be improved upon in the future. Meanwhile go fly in europe with simheavens photo and OSM. It looks incredicool, check out the screens. Best immersion ever.

:O  Postpone? I'm sure Brazil will be improved upon in the future. Meanwhile go fly in europe with simheavens photo and OSM. It looks incredicool, check out the screens. Best immersion ever.

Europe sure is beautiful in X-Plane!! Amazing what freeware can do in this sim! I'll think about it! =p

Alexis Mefano

UPDATE: well, the "bad news" is, that now I am sure, it won't be end of September with the release (rather October, or November).The main reasons are still mostly the outside dependencies of my project. Like depending on some input from Ben Supnik for the scnerey generator (and don't be mad at him ... he has more than enough things to work on). Or even more important: a stable, next X-Plane release, which includes new - additional - ground textures / ground terrain types (which HD Mesh v2 will reference - and without them, it would crash) ... and here, the Laminar plans have changed a bit, meaning, that it will come later than originally planned ....

But there are good news too. After some motivation from one of the last forum threads I participated in, I have investigated the option of some new Canada landclass data. And the results look good enough ... not to say "really good" .... so I think, I will extend the HD Mesh v2 coverage to many parts of Canada too (maybe not all of the northern tundra ... ^_^ ).

Additionally, I intend to do another OSM data import (which is the basis for all roads / railroads / powerlines / coastlines / lakes / rivers in my scenery and the Global Scenery) somewhere around the end of September. So, if anyone of you is interested in doing some more improvements in OSM (especially coastlines, lakes, rivers etc.) .... this might be some good time to do so (in the coming, lets say ... 4-5 weeks) as this work might still get reflected in the new HD Mesh v2! What to do? This topic has been discussed quite a few times:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/415991-please-update-your-area-on-osm/

Additionally, I intend to do another OSM data import (which is the basis for all roads / railroads / powerlines / coastlines / lakes / rivers in my scenery and the Global Scenery) somewhere around the end of September. So, if anyone of you is interested in doing some more improvements in OSM (especially coastlines, lakes, rivers etc.) .... this might be some good time to do so (in the coming, lets say ... 4-5 weeks) as this work might still get reflected in the new HD Mesh v2! What to do? This topic has been discussed quite a few times:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/415991-please-update-your-area-on-osm/

Thank you for this update ! :good:

I think I'll start a JOSM marathon. :smile:

well, the "bad news" is, that now I am sure, it won't be end of September with the release (rather October, or November).

... now  this is some cold water.  :mellow: Perhaps 2014 will be X-Plane's year? 

But if the 1st two years are any indication, then my hopes are not very high.   :lol:  

... now  this is some cold water.  :mellow: Perhaps 2014 will be X-Plane's year? 

Disappointed because of a few months delay ? Cold water ? Does this mean everything is already perfect around Tampa and San Diego in OpenStreetMap ? You can recognize every street, river, lake and power line ? Nothing is missing ?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

http://map.project-osrm.org/

Come on, this is a chance to correct the maps before the new scenery cut. :wink:

Perhaps 2014 will be X-Plane's year?

Deja vu from 2011, and 2012, and 2013.... (for one reason or another)

Although I too am disappointed in another delay, I understand the reasons behind it AND I greatly appreciate Andras noting that he's going to use a fresh OSM data pull in late September. I understand not everyone places the as high a value on the scenery as I do, so I'll spare y'all the crying. This does give the OSM army a new lease on life to keep plugging data into the maps which will eventually be used in the simulation. Time to fire JOSM up again...

I guess I only hope they come up with a more user serviceable method of working the base scenery for XP11 - that could spare us all the long waits for updated scenery AND open a new cottage industry around X-Plane, should that ever come to pass...

This all has gotten me back into OSM edit again, emphasis on Wisconsin lakes. Fired OSM edit up today and it looks like they are using a new edit system, new to me a least, called iD Open Street Map Editor. I would try JOSM but am leery of the Java requirement so I just work on line.

iD seems to be easier to use in the tagging area.

I have a question for you scenery/OSM guru's.  Will XPX accept (upon DSF recut) the "line" type of edit for rivers, streams, etc or do we still need

to make a river a closed polygon??  To me the closed polygon is very, very, difficult for a small stream or in some cases a decent sized river.

I still am amazed at the amount of errors on some roads in OSM, going through houses, across farm fields where its apparent that no road exists, but I am correcting what I find if its fairly obvious that it is incorrect.  Many times it looks like the person editing did not zoom down far enough.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

I have a question for you scenery/OSM guru's. Will XPX accept (upon DSF recut) the "line" type of edit for rivers, streams, etc or do we still need to make a river a closed polygon??

They have coded in a new method for generating a river using the "waterway:river" tagged way, however it will be rendered in the simulation very generically. It will likely be very thin, and will be entirely generic.  (Waterway:stream will be ignored, as far as I know)

When adding in rivers which don't exist in OSM, I tend to use BOTH methods - the "waterway:river" way will define the centerline of the river and allow the river's name to display on the OSM map (*After all, we're not only editing for X-Plane purposes!) Then, I create the closed polygon using the "waterway:riverbank" tag. This fleshes out the river more completely. Andras notes that in these cases, the wider of the two elements will be used when the scenery is created for X-Plane.

I still am amazed at the amount of errors on some roads in OSM, going through houses, across farm fields where its apparent that no road exists, but I am correcting what I find if its fairly obvious that it is incorrect.  Many times it looks like the person editing did not zoom down far enough.

Many of the roads in the US were populated using "TIGER" data. There are a lot of issues with this data, including phantom roads, poorly placed intersections, completely wonky neighborhoods, etc. etc. . The state of Connecticut is notorious for having some out of date "low resolution" roadway information in OSM via TIGER.

I have 2 questions about railways.  :wink: The default global scenery is often showing a single lane for trains where in the real world there are 2 lanes.

Unlike roads, does OpenStreetMap need 2 lanes (2 ways) for railways ?

Will a future scenery recut draw catenaries for railways with the key electrified ?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:electrified

Thanks Greg,

Will give the River and Riverbanks (closed polygon)  tag a go.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

Will give the River and Riverbanks (closed polygon) tag a go.

I've used a "river" tagged open way for any river which you can easily throw a stone over. I use closed polygon "riverbanks" for any river who's layout can be easily discernible from the sky.

Unlike roads, does OpenStreetMap need 2 lanes (2 ways) for railways ?

Yes - the railway way is considered a single rail line in OpenStreetMaps (*and X-Plane). For tandem tracks, you will need to add in a parallel way. (As an example, see the "Northeast Corridor" rail line in northeastern USA - two, sometimes three, tandem tracks depending on sidings and such)

-Greg

Thanks Greg,

I was somewhat successful with Riverbank but then the tag ability just went away. Got into Waterway but no Riverbank available even with using search. I must assume I am making a mistake somewhere. I wonder if there is a help section for iD vs Potlatch.

Anyway thanks again and I think I have hijacked the OP's thread quite enough... :blush: .. Will start a new thread if I run up against insurmountable odds.

Chuck