Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Piper aircraft

Can anyone recommend a payware or freeware PA28 type - Warrior, Archer, Arrow?   For either FSX or FS9. 

These planes are commonly used for training in UK and all over the world but for some reason they haven't been modelled by the usual players (Carenado did an Archer a long time ago - it needs updated).

What about it A2A, Real Air, Lionheart?  We've lots of Cessnas already. 

John

Supporter.png

John

Have you tried Carenado?

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Can anyone recommend a payware or freeware PA28 type - Warrior, Archer, Arrow?   For either FSX or FS9. 

The Carenado Arrow is OK.. and in it's day, the Dreamfleet Archer was nice in FS9..

Bert

Just Flght have an Archer and Warrior as part of their Flying Club series that can be picked up fairly cheap. They're older style (FS9 made flyable in FSX) and some of the graphics (like passengers) are a bit scary, but the planes fly quite nicely, with clickable VCs and basic avionics to replicate training flights. Certainly not A2A quality - but not A2A prices either.

There's also a Seneca in this series if you want to stay in Pipers but move up to light twins.

Presume you know about Lionheart's Pacer/ Tri-pacer pack already (?)

A2A has announced a Cherokee series (multiple variants) that will follow their Cessna 172. No ETA yet but it's the next item in their new GA line.

Alan_A, on 26 Jun 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

A2A has announced a Cherokee series (multiple variants) that will follow their Cessna 172. No ETA yet but it's the next item in their new GA line.

Really looking forward to them. Their Cub is absolutely amazing, but it's just a bit too slow to be practical. The A2A C172 and Cherokee will be fast enough for cross country. Until A2A releases them, I think Carenado is the best choice. I have their Arrow IV and its a decent model. I also got the free CLS Arrow, but I much prefer Carenado's version.

Aerosoft have the Robin DR400 and Diamond DA20 - two popular GA aircraft in Europe. Worth checking out if you want something a little different from the old Skyhawk.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thanks to all. 

Presume you know about Lionheart's Pacer/ Tri-pacer pack already (?)

I forgot about that completely.  Will check it out. 

A2A has announced a Cherokee series (multiple variants) that will follow their Cessna 172.

This is great news.  I have the Cub and love it but it makes slow progress especially in a headwind...

John

Supporter.png

John

I'm not normally Carenado's biggest fan these days, but their PA-28s (they do a Cherokee but its c.2007, and an Arrow c.2008 and their Archer c.2009) are still the best PA-28s we have at the moment.

The Just Flight (Flying Club) one has better flight handling characteristics IMHO, but graphically, it's just too ugly! ....... the free CLS one is good for freeware, but there is a reason they stopped selling it and made it freeware (ie... it's not really up to commercial standards).

Like everyone else, I eagerly await the A2A Cherokee range!

If you're looking for more information on the A2A Cherokees, first mention was in this video, with more discussion in the thread that follows it.

There's a little more here about plans for the 235.

If you search "Cherokee" on the A2A forums, you'll find other mentions.  Not a lot of detail yet, it seems like work won't start in earnest 'til the 172 is out the door.  But since the 172 is already in the hands of their beta team, we should be hearing more about the Cherokee before long.

I have the Carenado Archer II and the CLS.  The Carenado looks pretty good (as do all Carenados) and seems to fly ok.  The instrumentation is minimum, like many PA28 trainers are likely to be.  It does not have a rudder trim control, but the real airplane does.  Not sure about the flight dynamics, as have never flown an Archer.  Am taking lessons in the less powerful Warrior, and the dynamics seem similar (except for the flaps/pitch performance).  The CLS was free on another web site, and I would say that's about what it's worth.   I flew it once and then discarded it.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I bought the Flying Club version of the Archer III which I believe is derived from the Dreamfleet Archer.  I bought the Beech Duchess for good measure - at ten quid I couldn't go far wrong. 

Will bring back memories of a pleasant trip at Corpus Christi many years ago.  I've not flown a Duchess, or a duchess, since.  ^_^

John

Supporter.png

John

I believe the Just Flight which graphically may be a bit dated, has the flight model written by Rob Young of Real Air and therefore flies very nicely as a result. If I am wrong I do apologise but I believe this is the case.

Good for you Betelgeuse, you'll get your money's worth out of those two I'm sure. I would've suggested the Duchess too but your op only mentioned Pipers.

Flying the Archer recently, I found it works nicely with AccuFeel. Wind buffeting while taxi-ing felt quite realistic for a small GA plane - cool!

Any thoughts on the alabeo PA38? I would LOVE to have a good payware quality paper tomahawk.

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!