Sign in to follow this  
slait

Coolsky DC-9 Post Hype

Hey folks,

Similar to my Majestic Dash post, who can share some opinions about the Coolsky DC-9 after the new and shiny has worn off? Both pro and con are appreciated.

Thanks again!

- Aaron

It is highly accurate and realistic, even down to circuit breakers and their interaction with various systems, it has failures, a nav simulator that makes finding/tuning stations very simple, checklists, situation states, a load manager, and good flight dynamics. Add in the McPhat HD liveries and virtual cockpits, and you get fantastic looks to go with all the functional features. IMO, it is the best overall steam gauge, jet airliner for FSX at the moment.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

I have recently gotten it and can't find a fault. Love it.

Would rather have gotten the McPhat cockpit textures in the base pack, obviously they thought ahead on that one. That bothers me actually but oh well.

Get it you will not be disappointed....a must have for sure. Having multi crew experience helps too

Lee

Frankly, having to drop more coin on the liveries and HD cockpit is the thing holding me back the most. Feels like a bit of a milking if I'm honest.

• Upvote 1

- Aaron

I know it seems wrong right?

I'm enjoying it without those extra texture packs right now and I think you will too.

I know it seems wrong right?

I'm enjoying it without those extra texture packs right now and I think you will too.

I agree with Lee...it will not disappoint you without the mcphat.

jeff

Ok, good to know. Unfortunately though it looks like the user created liveries are still in the single digits on Avsim. Without at least the SD pack from Mcphat it looks like all my flights would be flown using the Eastern livery.   :P

- Aaron

Not sure if it is specifics for Coolsky DC-9, but I got about 25% less FPS with it than with PMDG NGX (24-25 vs 30), which causes stutters.

Aleks

The DC9 had a few more issues out of the box, so the release hype wasn't as positive as the Dash. I think it's great. The load manager is built in, so no need to alt-tab out. The livery thing, yeah wasn't that impressed at the time, but it's cash long since spent so it's largely forgotten. You don't need to get them all to start with. I've still got a couple to get - maybe one day. I'm a little surprised there haven't been more repaints, but I guess it doesn't get the exposure that the new toys get. There is a sense of accomplishment you get by getting from A to B without simply tying the AP to the LNAV & VNAV and watching the scenery. The built in tutorials look interesting, but tbh I haven't dug into them. Night lighting (post SP) is really good.

I'd pick it over the Dash if forced to choose (please don't make me though...). I just prefer a little old school.

Mike

Not sure if it is specifics for Coolsky DC-9, but I got about 25% less FPS with it than with PMDG NGX (24-25 vs 30), which causes stutters.

Aleks

This doesn't sound good, anybody else did?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Don't know because I don't count 'em. But I don't notice it performing any worse.

Aleks

I got no performance issues with the Coolsky dc-9 whatsoever. As mentioned there were some initial issues. These have long been resolved. The aircraft is very responsive and a joy to (hand)fly. The NGX has been in my hanger a lot since I have the Coolsky dc-9

b rdgs Dick

Does it work in P3D ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The Coolsky DC-9 is the most underused purchase I've made, of the last 6 months.

There's  nothing really wrong with it, I think it's more just that the mission of flying an aircraft like this just doesn't appeal to me.    

Totally my fault (lack of research); but if I had known it did not come with any retro-fitted FMC, I wouldn't have bought it, because flying a retro-fitted, current-day version of the DC-9 was all that really appealed to me,     I'll fly a C172 using VOR to VOR all day, but it's not what I personally want to be doing in a DC-9. 

To re-iterate;  yes, I'm perfectly aware that this plane was flown using VORs only when first launched, but today, there is not a DC-9 flying anywhere in the world that doesn't have some sort of GPS or FMS retrofit ...... and it's the present day DC-9 flying that would appeal to me).

If Espen ever releases a retro-fit FMC for it, I think I'd fly it a ton!

It's a superb product overall, with things like the automatic config system, integrated training, etc, you just have to think to yourself;  do I want to fly a DC-9 with no other nav system than VORs and ADFs.