Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

757 Delayed :(

Philipp is currently working with Austin on some other aspects of the X-Plane core engine and will eventually also get the needed changes for the 757 into X-Plane.

Blessing and curses, all at the same time.

This is a blessing because you've got a platform development team willing to listen and adapt to the needs of 3rd party developers on the fly.

This is a curse because you've got a platform development team which could now be pulled away from their current work in order to repair/enhance a subsystem in the sim which is probably only going to be utilized by a small fraction of all X-Plane users. Of course, I say this not knowing if the items needed for the 757 are just 2 minutes worth of tweaking, or if they are going to be a 2 week struggle. Not to mention Tom's valid concerns (*since answered) about things breaking for other developers.

If the X-Plane development squad was larger, it could easily absorb even a significant change - but being what it is, any reallocation of time will have an impact somewhere. I only hope whatever engine model changes are needed are truly quick and easy to allow the guys to carry on with whatever bigger picture improvements are underway.

The first impression I get from this news is not any sadness at a 3rd party delay (meh), but rather a mild irritation that a 3rd party project may just have leapfrogged over other work that the broader population of X-Plane users would be more likely to see and enjoy.

Blessings and curses, I say!

As a little perk we have decided to release something which was planned for the end of the year, but we have moved it to the front burner so you have something new to play with till the 757 is out. Any guesses?

What is that little perk?

I guess one thing they ( LR ) could fix, and wouldn't arm anyone, is the simulation of the windmilling low pressure compressor (usually read as N1). N2 looks more or less acceptable when an engine flames-oout in XPlane, but N1 figures are way out of sync...

Then, their model is, I believe, not prepared to tackle more complex 3 spool turbines ( i.e. RR )... Adding a bit more of complexity would be great :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

the engine control system is very poorly simulated ( assumed temp is very broken, Alt eec does not function properly)

I'll be quite honest and say: I've never paid attention to what the EEC is doing, apart from limiting the max N1 speeds (which the 777 seems to do).

Am I correct in believing the Alt EEC is supposed to override the standard safeguards that are normally in place?  Evidently there's a lot more to learn about turbofan thrust management than just controlling the throttle lever.

the sounds are AWFUL, it sounds like your outside the plane with the APU running or the flaps deploying.

Yes,  I'll agree 100% on those points.  I also think the "ambient" sounds could certainly be ditched.

They also tied both flight directors together, to me it's a medium level sim, in high level sims like the NGX and what IXEG is building

Now I think the upcoming 757 is going to do this as well.  However, I've not been put in a failure condition where I would want to take advantage of independant flight directors or air data systems.  For *normal* flight it's fine, though I appreciate the failure conditions reveal the true extend of systems fidelity under the bonnet.

Blessing and curses, all at the same time.

The first impression I get from this news is not any sadness at a 3rd party delay (meh), but rather a mild irritation that a 3rd party project may just have leapfrogged over other work that the broader population of X-Plane users would be more likely to see and enjoy.

Excuse me, but this is getting ridiculous. In a software development process this leapfrogging as you call it is totally normal.

There is no fixed priority since some things will be pushed back, while other minor details might suddenly get a much higher priority simply due to the whim of a single developer. In such small companies developers work more or less independend from each other since they can interconnect with each other immediately if necessary. You don't have to propose a change and wait a few months to receive a compromise that doesn't help you one bit... Instead you go to your colleague that probly has the necessary informations in his code and discuss your problem with it. In many cases the solution isn't something that you would have expected , but something completly different, that needs less code changes than yozr original idea.

But you can't do this if your colleague is on a critical path  Otherwise you would really delay something. So you have projects that you can't continue since it would disrupt the work of your colleagues, you have problems that would simply take to much time to start at this moment, you have things where you don't know how to fix something and you have things that are not so complicated and that depend only on your own systems. And only you can decide which you will fix when.

Sometimes proposed changes might be very bad or even stupid ideas since the requester simply doesn't know anything about your code or the implications that his small change might haver for other components.

So there is no leapfrogging, instead it would be extremly inefficient id youz would make a single queue. In a big caompany you couldn't work this way, since the managers wouldn't even know what their engineers are really doing, but each administration layer really decreases the efficiency dramatically!

So I have to say: Sorry you simply doesn't know what you are talking about! It is simply impossible from the outside to determine the real internal status and priorities on the inside of such a small company.

Sorry about the little confusion, I received this news immediately after they posted it on the FlightFactor Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

I'll be quite honest and say: I've never paid attention to what the EEC is doing, apart from limiting the max N1 speeds (which the 777 seems to do).

Am I correct in believing the Alt EEC is supposed to override the standard safeguards that are normally in place?  Evidently there's a lot more to learn about turbofan thrust management than just controlling the throttle lever.

Yes,  I'll agree 100% on those points.  I also think the "ambient" sounds could certainly be ditched.

Now I think the upcoming 757 is going to do this as well.  However, I've not been put in a failure condition where I would want to take advantage of independant flight directors or air data systems.  For *normal* flight it's fine, though I appreciate the failure conditions reveal the true extend of systems fidelity under the bonnet.

I would not mind some of the drawbacks if this was a 30 dollar plane marketed as a mid level sim but it is marketed as a study level sim and priced as such.  As far as the eec goes you can get it to override but it does not do so in the manner the real plane would and if you try to limit the takeoff trust with a assumed temp  you can not override the limited thrust.  The only way I could reduce thrust with assumed temp is to enter a NEGATIVE assumed temp. I read up on everything I could find on assumed temps and I asked some RW pilots  in the 777 and it should not even be possible to enter a negative temp let alone have that negative assumed temp reduce thrust.  When you try to enter a proper assumed temp the N1 INCREASES then with you get up to near the limit the FMC will allow you to enter  you finally start to get a slight derate but nowhere near what you should see.    

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I've bought R+P 777 and was highly disappointed. I was expecting PMDG quality. Wish I would've done my homework sooner. But on the X-Plane platform, its the only decent 777. How I wish PMDG would've made a 777 version for X-Plane users. What I'm mostly unsatisfied with the most is the virtual cockpit, looks extremely bad. After being so used to the high level of details on FSX planes and coming to  this. I was extremely disappointed.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I've bought R+P 777 and was highly disappointed. I was expecting PMDG quality. Wish I would've done my homework sooner. But on the X-Plane platform, its the only decent 777. How I wish PMDG would've made a 777 version for X-Plane users. What I'm mostly unsatisfied with the most is the virtual cockpit, looks extremely bad. After being so used to the high level of details on FSX planes and coming to  this. I was extremely disappointed.

Soon X-plane will have PMDG level quality.  The IXEG 737 will be at that level and may surpass current PMDG offerings.   

There is a lot of strong points on the navigation side on planes that Phillip is involved in but with that said I have both the crj and the 777 and there is a lot of  tech errors that are obvious on both and none were ever fixed.    Plus Nick from the .org is involved in the R+P projects that alone is enough to reason to worry about the fidelity of the systems and quality of the product. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

<p>Really? I'm curious, do you have any pictures that you can show me? I would love to have a PMDG quality aircraft for X-Plane.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nevermind, I found screenshots, looks impressive, however I'm not a fan of classic models. Wish they would've done the latest NG model of the 737 instead. Sigh</p>

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

<p>Really? I'm curious, do you have any pictures that you can show me? I would love to have a PMDG quality aircraft for X-Plane.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nevermind, I found screenshots, looks impressive, however I'm not a fan of classic models. Wish they would've done the latest NG model of the 737 instead. Sigh</p>

it's been mentioned many times on Avsim and the .org plus there are videos on youtube.

http://www.ixeg.net/

http://www.ixeg.net/blog/item/29-autothrottle-system-demo

Just found out from FlightFactor's Facebook page what the surprise is. It's an -300ER upgrade for the 777 (discount for existing owners). The existing 777-200LR and 777-200F will also be updated to v1.5 with new sounds, lighting and more. Due out this weekend apparently!

Is this for ramzzess 777? I really wish they would focus on redoing all the textures for the VC. It needs a makeover badly.

Is this for ramzzess 777? I really wish they would focus on redoing all the textures for the VC. It needs a makeover badly.

Yes, Flight Factor is the new name for Ramzzess Aviation.

Maybe they will update the VC textures one day, but TBH it doesn't look too bad to my eyes.

version 1.5 of the 777 will be released soon with: new exterior lights, new sounds, etc.  this was confirmed on the .org