Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Has anyone managed to get a file removed at FSPLANET?

Guest danowat

I have just been told that my Skyvan package has been uploaded to FSPlanet, not by me, and against the readme file, which states, the package is not to be uploaded to ANY site other than AVSIM.Has anyone managed to get one of their files removed from there?If so, how?CheersDan.

Guest DemolitionMan

How about getting ALL the developers together that've been robbed by this spanish thief, and procecute him in spain? It's time that this guy was stopped, he's a parasite for the whole community. They're starting to get wise with internet law in the European community at last, after years of ignoring the problem, and hoping it'd go away. The laws are being changed at a rapid rate, to try and stop this kind of thing. It should be possible to nail him somehow when we ALL get together. How about it guys?BestGrahame (EDHL)"Hasta la vista, ferdy!"

Guest Robert Sanderson

That site is confusing, slow loading and garish. I found my aircraft there along with a repaint that I know was only uploaded to Flightsim. My aircraft was uploaded here at Avsim and to SOH. I didn

Guest R5D4

I uploaded a file to avsim and it appeared on flightsim.com and fsplanet....so they are all the same. The fact is that all Fs sites hosting freeware are profiteering ...not just fsplanet. Should freeware authors decide who does and does not profit from their work?

Guest DemolitionMan

Man, I wish I was computer savvy enough to whack ferdy with something really nice, like a DOS attack :+ ,hehe.Couldn't happen to a nicer person,lolBestGrahame

Guest danowat

"I uploaded a file to avsim and it appeared on flightsim.com and fsplanet....so they are all the same. The fact is that all Fs sites hosting freeware are profiteering ...not just fsplanet"Hmmm....ok, flightsim.com will at least have the good nature to remove files if you ask them."Should freeware authors decide who does and does not profit from their work? "Of course they should, AVSIM DO NOT profit from any files uploaded to the library, they offer a TOTALLY FREE service, which is why I will only ever upload files to AVSIM.Dan.

Three things:How can you imagine that we profit by providing over 400 megs of bandwidth a day for downloads?AVSIM does not poach files from other sites (as Ferdy does), though enthusiastic users might upload someone's file here.When asked, we'll remove a file immediately.There is a big difference.

Dan,something I have not known before, but which was explained in a very interesting article in the austrian/german FS-magazine "flightxpress" is, that if something is declared as "freeware" anybody can do anything with such a programme, file, utility (software in general), no matter what the readme says. There is no possibility of a legal action against this."FREEware" does not mean FREE in the sense of "free of charge" but in the sense of, that there are no restrictions, what can be done with the softweare.(the recently to the AVSIM library uploaded 707 follows this principle).Even more interesting is that in most computer/software areas developers have nothing against it, that a third party charges money for a freeware product. These developers only wish this freeware to be distributed to as many users as possible, no matter how this is accomplished.Only in the FS community the term FREEware became common for free of charge, which is actually not correct.The articel in "flightxpress" provided some interesting internet links, which get into this matter more deeply. I will check the links at home tonight and post them.Ans this is not only valid for certain countries.To clarify, I do not state, that I personally think that this is fair or good.Wolfgang

>Dan,>>something I have not known before, but which was explained in>a very interesting article in the austrian/german FS-magazine>"flightxpress" is, that if something is declared as "freeware">anybody can do anything with such a programme, file, utility>software in general, no matter what the readme says. There>is no possibility of a legal action against this.>"FREEware" does not mean FREE in the sense of "free of charge">but in the sense of, that there are no restrictions, what>can be done with the softweare.>the recently to the AVSIM library uploaded 707 follows this>principle.>>Even more interesting is that in most computer/software areas>developers have nothing against it, that a third party charges>money for a freeware product. These developers only wish this>freeware to be distributed to as many users as possible, no>matter how this is accomplished.>>Only in the FS community the term FREEware became common for>free of charge, which is actually not correct.>>The articel in "flightxpress" provided some interesting>internet links, which get into this matter more deeply. I will>check the links at home tonight and post them.>>Ans this is not only valid for certain countries.>>To clarify, I do not state, that I personally think that>this is fair or good.>>WolfgangIn addition to the above, according to this flightxpress-article, freeware can not only be distributed without limit, it can even be modified.Wolfgang

Guest R5D4

Wolfgang this is how I understand "freeware" too - hence my question.Tom:>How can you imagine that we profit by providing over 400 megs of >bandwidth a day for downloads?The file library adds value to avsim which in turn allows success in revenue generating efforts...So indirectly AVSIM as a third party are generating revenue on the back of freeware, regardless of whether avsim turns a profit........>There is a big differenceThe difference is not that big imho, only that fsplanet do not play by your rules in extending common courtesy to freeware authors regarding (questionable)rights of distribution. I do not use fsplanet, I should add, but I don't see them as evil either.

Guest danowat

So basically what you are saying is that as soon as someone releases something for free, it is no longer there property, and they have no control over what happens to it?.Quite frankly, that sucks.Now, what if I were to charge 1p for the archive, I suppose then it would be classed as payware and then I would retain all control of said file?Dan.

First, everyone, do some reading:http://isp.webopedia.com/TERM/F/freeware.htmlhttp://dict.die.net/freeware/http://www.free-definition.com/Freeware.htmlOne of the most important lines in the last document:"Freeware is usually copyrighted and its license may restrict certain activities."The last site (Wikipedia) is probably the best definition I have seen. It is simple; unless the author of a file SPECIFICALLY STATES that his file/creation is free of distribution restrictions, restrictions on modification, etc. etc., then the restrictions that ARE INCLUDED must be adhered to.

Guest danowat

Hi Mark,I have asked, first e-mail addresses to ferdy, got bounced back, no such e-mail address, have yet to hear from staff e-mailDan.

"The file library adds value to avsim which in turn allows success in revenue generating efforts...So indirectly AVSIM as a third party are generating revenue on the back of freeware, regardless of whether avsim turns a profit........"Phrases like "AVSIM as a third party are generating revenue on the back of freeware..." are misleading at best and prejorative at worst. Yes, we do generate revenue. But, unlike Ferday, Flightsim.com and others, we put ALL of the revenue back into purchasing bandwidth and hardware SO THAT we can continue to provide a hosting service for 10's of thousand of files that the authors might otherwise have to pay bandwidth costs to distribute. I can't tell you how many of those authors started out wanting to distribute their files on their own sites, and found the cost to do so not only prohibitive, but would have forced them to do other than "freeware" to support their site. So, "on the back of freeware" to me is an insulting statement. "The difference is not that big imho, only that fsplanet do not play by your rules in extending common courtesy to freeware authors regarding (questionable)rights of distribution. I do not use fsplanet, I should add, but I don't see them as evil either."There is a big difference. Ferdy generates additional PERSONAL income from his site and he does so by ripping off files from other systems AGAINST the specific wishes of their authors. When asked to remove files, he more often than not ignores the author.I don't understand why people in this community are not outraged by this behavior. Ripping off freeware and treating authors with contempt is a no win proposition. How many contributors to this hobby do think have quit contributing because of sites like FSPlanet? More than a couple I suspect.And no, this is not a competitive thing between AVSIM and FSPlanet. FSPlanet is no competition to AVSIM, period. See the following to prove my case:http://www.avsim.com/pages/rank.htmlThis is about guys like Ferdy being a threat to our hobby and truly leaching off the good works of others, in total disregard of those contributor's wishes.