Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Has anyone managed to get a file removed at FSPLANET?

Guest danowat

Yep, and thats why I will not upload files to FS.com eitherDan.

Guest Ken_Salter

I have had several of my files "appear" on FSPlanet without my permission (especially for FSAutoStart which has a license to use which you must agree to).I have sent emails to the operator of that site asking (politely) for removal and this has not happened.Good luck, but don't hold your breath.

Guest jon_151

I simply can't understand some people who takes money out of author that did the work for free.FSPlanet is just a site where it list best freeware download TO their opinion, they don't give the heck user like the file or not, they just put it on. They even put shareware LOL :-lol the recent example Yak 40 (was it ?).Simply to proof my words, I remember seeing Virtual Airline livery on FSPlanet, when the paint scheme is good and nice, they don't give a damn and want to find out if the airline exist in real world. They have the following resources: - Avsim.com- Flightsim.com- Fsfreeware.com- Simviation.comFSPlanet targets BIG size file, quality file. So if you package a virtual airline livery, with great panel, great sound and the size is big, don't be suprise to see it on FSPlanet.com

Guest P3_Super_Bee

The guys at Historic Jetliners (HJG) are no longer labeling there stuff as "freeware" but "Conitionware" They state, "This aircraft model is not Freeware, its Conditionware. It is provided free for your personal enjoyment under the following conditions:" Then go on to state their conditions of use.

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Guest daveg4otu

I have rather mixed feelings about this business of files appearing elsewhere without the author's permission.I have noticed thatFreeware scenery files which I have uploaded to AVSIM and Flightsim do appear on other sites ( including FSplanet).Now- as I did these files as freeware - obviously I'd like as many people as possible to see them and use them. As said further up this thread - in some ways it's a compliment that someone else likes them enough to go to the trouble of uploading them to other sites.BUT - and this I think is the root of it all as far as purely "freeware"(Files given free of charge or restriction as to use?)is concerned - the author is surely entitled at least to be informed if site www.FSxxxxx.com(whoever) is going to be distributing his work.All that really would be needed in most cases is for the site operator to Email the author of files uploaded by a third party informing the author of this fact and requesting permission to distibute.Most people would undoubtedly be pleased to give their permission as the ultimate objective for most authors is to get their freeware to as many users as possible.This sort of action would ,at the very least , be polite and keep the author of the work informed of who is doing what with his/her files.Regarding the rather thorny business of whether the website in question charges for access to your free files- all I can say - if it's free access on one site and pay on another - I know where I would go.Dave

>Hello,>>as a regular contributing author to "FlightXPress" magazine I>want to state publically here that this article does in no>way represent my personal opinion about this issue. This>article appeared without being prior announced to the other>reviewers and I want to make clear that it does not represent>the opinion of FlightXPress

Guest danowat

Again, I reiterate, I do not mind my files turning up on a site where it IS possible to download for free.FS.com make if "difficult" to download for free, and FSplanet make it downright impossible, and as such would have a problem with either of those sites hosting my files."all I can say - if it's free access on one site and pay on another - I know where I would go."But what about the "green" FS user?, what if they think FSplanet is the only download site?, he must be getting some traffic, otherwise his site would have been dumped ages ago.BTW, I have still not recieved any reply from FSplanet, I doubt I will, looks as if we will have to "put-up" with his antics, as it seems that there isnt, or people can't be bothered / don't see it as a problem, anything we can do about itDan.

Guest daveg4otu

>>But what about the "green" FS user?, what if they think>FSplanet is the only download site?, he must be getting some>traffic, otherwise his site would have been dumped ages ago.Good point - unfortunately it's impossible to tell what trafiic is happening and as for as I can tell there is no way of finding out how many times a file has been downloaded at FSPlanet.Dave

As I've only a limited amount of freeware to offer, I'm reticent to voice my own opinion, but nevertheless, here it is... :)While I agree in principle that it's to the author's benefit to have as many avenues of distribution as possible, my major concern is one of keeping the project updated.I know for a fact that there are a number of sites who've never bothered to "harvest" any updates, and in fact only have v1.0 (the FS2002 version!) available for download.This means that I have a TON of "support emails" each week from users asking "When are you going to upgrade the model for FS9? It's been out for over a year now!" :(I have a "canned reply" that simply informs them that the update was made available shortly after FS9 was released, and has been available at avsim.com all this time.Also, Tom is quite right. Everyone needs to remember that there's a world of difference between "profit" and "revenue." :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator