Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAdlai

Major FPS Loss Due to AI

Hi all,

Despite much (hours of) research, I was not able to come up with an answer to this problem. The problem is that on-screen AI cause a huge drop in FPS, sometimes in the range of ~50%. This happens whether I'm at a small airport like PASI, or a huge airport like KLAX. Also, this only occurs when they are visible. If an AI aircraft is out of my FOV, it might as well not exist. This leads me to believe that it is a texture issue, but that's just a best guess. I'm running WOAI, with 491 packages active, and FSX:A. Any ideas? I know AI cause an FPS drop, but it shouldn't be like this.

491 packages..........at 100% in the slider?

If so, yes, this is exactly what to expect.

The two biggest FPS killers (at least for me) are:

1. Scenery

2. AI Traffic

This is mainly because you are using FS9 models in FSX, these models slow down FSX considerably.
I performed a test where I displayed 240 FS9 AI models on an island in the middle of the pacific and got 11 FPS,
replacing the FS9 model with a native FSX AI model more then doubled the FPS to around 25(remember 240 AI airplanes on the screen).
The last year did see the AI communities first freeware native FSX models made by FAIB but they are a small group and have only recently
finished making the Boeing 737 family and are now finishing up the Airbus A32X family with both FSX and FS9 native AI models.
While these are only two aircraft families they are the most popular jets on the face of the planet so using these models in FSX should increase your FPS.
Using UT2 will also improve performance in FSX since their models are also FSX native.

Hi all,

Despite much (hours of) research, I was not able to come up with an answer to this problem. The problem is that on-screen AI cause a huge drop in FPS, sometimes in the range of ~50%. This happens whether I'm at a small airport like PASI, or a huge airport like KLAX. Also, this only occurs when they are visible. If an AI aircraft is out of my FOV, it might as well not exist. This leads me to believe that it is a texture issue, but that's just a best guess. I'm running WOAI, with 491 packages active, and FSX:A. Any ideas? I know AI cause an FPS drop, but it shouldn't be like this.

System Specs?

System Specs?

I'm gonna guess a 3570K

8 GB DDR3

and a GTX 660 Ti

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

At what traffic settings?

As Nathan already said, traffic can be a real frame eater! I don't use settings above 40%(with MTX that is, but I wouldn't recommend much more than 50% with other addons as well).

I'm running my traffic at 100%, but that is because WOAI doesn't get affected by the traffic slider; it's all or nothing. Also, I don't feel like my FPS should be halved by the AI at a place like KPDX or KEUG. I know I've seen plenty of videos in which people have AI traffic, high settings, and lesser hardware than mine.

Also, I don't feel like my FPS should be halved by the AI at a place like KPDX or KEUG.

This is very well possible in Portland, but I can't comment on KEUG. PDX is a rather detailed airport by default already, plus there's downtown Protland quite close which is modelled in similar detail, hence a FPS loss is possible. In this case, your scenery settings, especially autogen, might be of interest to solve this problem, too.

I know I've seen plenty of videos in which people have AI traffic, high settings, and lesser hardware than mine.

That's possible, too. Just record at, say, quarter speed and speed the video up afterwards, and voila - you got the impression of great performance, although you may actually have no more than maybe 15 FPS!

I would recommend you to reduce your traffic settings, even though you say it will have no effect. From what I remember even WOAI flightplans were programmed to show some flights at very low flights and the amount increases with higher settings.

I'm running my traffic at 100%, but that is because WOAI doesn't get affected by the traffic slider; it's all or nothing. 

I'd doublecheck that if I were you--I'm also using WOAI and it is definitely sensitive (to an extent) to the slider setting. E.g. if I recall correctly there's no difference between 70% and 100% but e.g. 40% is different from 70%. Trust me, there's a huge difference in traffic (and performance) between 40 and 100%. It's possible yours is set up differently but I doubt it unless you went through and changed the traffic files to show all traffic at all AI slider settings.

James

I always found WOAI to run really slow even on FS9, I think the reason for the poor performance is the LOD? Most traffic packages I have used recently will remove detail the further the aircraft is away and the package I use (Mytraffic X) gives the option of using lower quality models which really does boost FPS a lot, it runs perfectly on about 55% which gives a huge amount of traffic.. Would definitely recommend it, you can also download live schedules as opposed to running ones from years ago.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg