Sign in to follow this  
piperarrow41

No Turbulence?

I am not getting any turbulence with the real weather downloads.  On a warm and windy day like today I would be getting bounced all over the place in a real GA plane.  Is there a setting that I am missing to activate turbulence, or does Opus just not model it accurately?

Of course it models everything accurately, very accurately indeed (silly comment). All DHM, including the intelligent turbulence effects are associated with Live Camera views. You must enable LC, configure at least one default virtual cockpit view for your aircraft with DHM enabled. Please read the LC manual, you will find a guide there.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Is there any way to make Opus generated turbulence effect the plane itself? Reason why I ask is that I tried Opus and saw only "head" movement due to turbulence but no effect on plane (ASI, VSI, attitude, etc.). Perhaps I was doing something wrong.

Aleks

The OpusFSX Live Weather Engine downloads all METARs from Met stations all over its 800 x 800 mile weather map along with megabytes of GRIB forecast data for the upper atmospheric conditions. It then maintains nearly one million meteorological parameters to define the weather and all turbulent air masses from the ground upward to FL420 and beyond. The LWE models all forms of turbulence from possible rotor effects, thermal effects, wind shears, and even clear air turbulence determined from calculated gradients in the ambient conditions. The LWE is responsible for determining the location and severity of all turbulence effects and supervises these effects through the Live Camera DHM.

The DHM, including all high and low frequency turbulent motions is ALL based entirely on captured real-life, 3D accelerometer data, recorded on board real life aircraft, mostly on board our own light aircraft and a B737-800. This accelerometer data is used as the basis for all head movements and associated phase shifted aircraft motions (bumps). This results in a very realistic, intelligently controlled turbulent motion, in addition to the other taxiing, takeoff, landing, and vibrational motions. All recorded at 20ms resolution.

We have recieved a great deal of praise from many RW experienced GA pilots and experienced airline captains. We have also used our own extensive 17 year experience of touring around Europe to develop the most realistic and intelligently controlled turbulent effects available on the sim. The combination of the LWE and LC with its recorded DHM effects provides an ideal partnership to transform the sim experience. Not just our opinion.

So in answer to your question, yes we have modelled most forms of turbulence and combined this with recorded RW turbulent motions. Just enable the recommended LWE options, configure your VC cameras with DHM effects, and fly.

Stephen

Please refer to the LC manual. Yes. You enable the Bump Aircraft option within DHM. There are other options which can also be used. But we recommend setting the Bump Aircraft option.

Stephen

I have enabled the DHM effect on many of the aircraft I fly and it works great.  However, after setting up the view in Opus, I find myself having to fine tune it within FSX using the ctrl/shift/backspace keys and it won't, the camera is locked.  Is there a way to enable the DHM within Opus and still have the ability to adjust the view within FSX using the keys I mentioned.  I'd rather not have to toggle between the two programs each time I want to adjust the pilots seat.

The FSX turbulence effects are not, in our experienced opinion, very realistic. But if you want them then you must enable the FSX turbulence and thermal motions (it will have little if no impact on the Opus realism or effects) and also tick the Opus Wing Flex option. Then you will have it all.

Stephen

Just configure all the views you need and feel free to use the hat switch for panning. But DHM continuously adjusts the XYZ eye point positions without any adverse effect on the FSX performance. You cannot have two sources of control for the single eye point but you can integrate TrackIR if you want to look around the cockpit.

Stephen

Ok, I have those checked.  But, is there a way to enable the DHM effect and still be able to fine tune the pilots view point within FSX instead of having the toggle between the two programs and trail and error it? 

Why the trial and error, just configure or fine tune your VC camera view in the Cameras dialog and save it. You cannot alter the XYZ within FSX as that will be at odds with the DHM updates. Microsoft did not provide any means to read the current eye point position so you cannot adjust the XYZ within FSX. You must configure your required camera views and fine tune them with the arrow keys in the Cameras dialog.

If you want to look around then we recommend the standard hat switch panning or the use of TrackIR. I just have a number of views configured to allow me to move my head position for panel views, MCP, Overhead, throttles etc.. In the jest, I find that with the hat switch is more than enough. I occasionally will use TrackIR in the Lancair or SF260 for instance.

We do not provide direct interface with the keyboard or mouse because the program is designed to be non-invasive and hence not have any adverse effect on the sims performance.

Stephen

For those of us who do not use the Opus camera effects at all, is there anyway for us to get turbulence in our weather while using Opus?

I prefer to use the "other" camera addon for FSX, but I like using Opus for weather only and I really miss having some light-moderate turb affecting my plane during the summer months.

For other users like myself who don't use your camera system, it would be nice if you would consider adding turbulence to the weather as an option at least.

No, it is tied into Live Camera and supervised by the Live Weather Engine to give the utmost realism and intelligent control.

We will never do anything else because the effects are all real, using captured 3D accelerometer data which needs Live Camera's DHM for the replay, and they are intelligently controlled for maximum realism which needs the Live Weather Engine which knows the exact meteorological conditions surrounding your aircraft along with all the ambient gradients affecting the turbulent air.

Anything else would not be realistic enough for us to bother with.

Sorry but the interface is designed to enhance the realism and immersion in the simulator by marrying the LC DHM with the RW weather of the LWE.

Stephen

Stephen, a discussion regarding turbulence effects in Opus is also going on over here -> http://forum.avsim.net/topic/407011-fs-global-real-weather-and-opus/page-4#entry2702557

I answered over there and also referred to the Opus documentation that if you have the Bump aircraft option checked the aircraft indeed will be affected by the turbulence rather than just being "eye candy".

Just wanted to confirm with you I understood this and what the Opus documentation says on the subject correctly that the aircraft indeed will be "physically" moved in the air by the turbulence rather than it being a camera effect?

Richard Åsberg

You keep pushing the "realism" aspect...but what I do not understand (because you never discuss it) is how does your turbulence (which I thought was only a camera effect, but I must be wrong here) then actually effect the plane and it's handling?

In other words, if I fly hands-off through heavy turbulence in a C172 using the Opus cameras will the plane itself lose the ability to fly itself straight and level...or will it stay/return to normal flight on it's own?

That's correct (WebMaximus) you set the Bump Aircraft option in the DHM dialog. You can also set the Enable Wing Flex option in the Weather Preferences dialog and combine this with enabling the Turbulence and Thermal Effects within FSX. I don't bother with the last part but always have Bump Aircraft set.

So configure DHM for all your camera views you wish to show effects including turbulence. Then set Bump Aircraft option in the DHM to let the turbulence 'bump' the aircraft, just as in the real world. Also if you want the wing flex whilst passing through cloud layers then turn the FSX Turbulence and Thermal Effects on (to get FSX to flex the wings and rattle the instrument needles) and Enable the Wing Flex option in the Weather Preferences dialog to get the LWE to include wing flex turbulence levels in the cloud layers.

All of this is described in the documentation. I have no idea why people think when I say realistic I mean pretend after all I've been flying through this sort of muck for over 17 years all over Europe so you would think I know what turbulence is. And anyone reading our Facebook would know we've just battled through 'severe' turbulence on our way back from Venice.

Stephen

In other words, if I fly hands-off through heavy turbulence in a C172 using the Opus cameras will the plane itself lose the ability to fly itself straight and level...or will it stay/return to normal flight on it's own?

I'm sorry, you said I was correct...but I was actually asking a question there, lol. Which one is it?

BTW - I do have turbulence enabled within FSX at all times...but I still don't get any turbulence when using Opus's weather. Am I doing something wrong there?

I wasn't talking to you but the above post sent to me who asked if it was the Bump Aircraft option that was needed. Sorry I should have mentioned a name or refered to the actual post.

I have edited and added to the above post. I will edit it again to mention the person concerned.

Stephen

Yes you are. For a start you should read the manual. If you want to enable the FSX effects in addition to Opus then you must do everything I have mentioned above. That is set the Enable Wing Flex option in the Opus Weather Preferences dialog. FSX needs turbulence levels setting in the weather data for its effects.

The Opus effects are controlled by the LWE.

Stephen

Just read the manual it is all described there so there is no real reason to keep asking the same question.

Configure Live Camera views, VC views are best. Turn ON Bump Aircraft with all your Enabled DHM effects (the DHM and Bump Aircraft settings are associated with camera views).

Enable Wing Flex in the Opus Weather Preferences dialog and enable the FSX turbulence and thermal effects to match this setting.

The the Opus LWE will supervise all the Opus effects and FSX will do the other sim stuff.

Stephen