Sign in to follow this  
piperarrow41

No Turbulence?

Ok, I'm getting a little confused here, so let me just ask this one more time and I'll take it from there:

Do the Opus "turbulence effects" actually effect the handling of the aircraft itself causing it to either lose/gain altitude and/or heading and thereby increasing pilot workload?

...or is your effect only a visual one?

Sorry for any confusion with back & forth postings :-)

YES of course they do if you enable the Bump Aircraft option in the DHM dialog !

I thought it was all very clear in my previous posts. YES ... but you have to enable the aircraft effects in addition to the pure DHM head movements. The two are coordinated but enabled separately within the Cameras and DHM dialogs.

The SAME 3D accelerometer data, both low and high frequency recorded turbulence data, is used to create the pure DHM and BUMP the aircraft.

Other FSX controlled effects require data in the injected weather, which again you must enable.

Stephen

Ok Stephen...is there any way to have turbulence impact on my plane without using your cam system though? In other words...can the bumping aircraft be enabled somehow without using the DHM cams?

Hope that is clear now. The two parts were separated because we developed and included the head movements first ... Wanted to get people using the recorded DHM data. Then in a beta development cycle, we added the Bump Aircraft option to complete the effects and allow people the choice ... Some severe turbulence can upset auto pilots which some users do not want, hence you still have control over both.

You need Live Cameras to get the RW DHM effects, true head movements based on the recorded 3D accelerometer data.

You need DHM to get Bump Aircraft, it uses the same DHM data and is coordinated, with suitable phase shift, with the head movements.

You need to Enable Wing Flex to inject turbulence data with the weather and get some of the additional FSX effects (wing flex, exaggerated needle flutter etc.), so obviously this option will need the FSX turbulence effects enabled. They do not really interfere with the Opus ones.

I think that just about covers everything.

Stephen

Once again ... Please refer to my answer above to the same question.

No there isn't.

You need the above to use the Opus effects. That is BOTH Live Camera + DHM + Bump Aircraft and the Live Weather Engine to supervise everything and make it intelligently controlled and based on RW meteorological conditions ... for all the same reasons as I explained at the top of this topic.

Stephen

Shucks, Ok...thanks for that detailed info...was just hoping to get turb back without switching away from my ezdok setup is all. So I guess that's not going to happen right now. At least I understand your thought process for how it all ended up working this way...again thanks for taking the time.

LOL, reminds of Red Dwarf.

"Everybodies dead Dave, everybodies dead, everybodies dead Dave"

Dave (same name coincidentally) your question has already been answered further up from Stephen in post #10

All you can do is rely on FSX turbulence or some other camera Addon. Neither of which will be as realistic or as intelligently controlled as LC and the LWE. No Addon could ever know the meteorological conditions well enough to accurately model the turbulence. The LWE maintains nearly one million meteorological parameters to give a very detailed and accurate RW picture of the conditions affecting your flight.

If you want RW accurate and intelligently controlled turbulence then you must use both LC and LWE in collaboration. These were the main two reasons why we developed OpusFSX in the first place ... To bring realism to a new level in the sim with RW weather and RW effects.

Stephen

Stephen, I have to say, that while I am a strong supporter of Opus RW I am nevertheless extremely disappointed at having to effectively uninstall Ezdok and reconfigure everything to have a turbulence effect. I actually like Ezdok and want to continue using it, but in doing so Opus RW eliminates any turbulence. I am confused as to why I cannot simply have your weather engine inject the weather and allow Ezdok to run my cameras. I understand that Opus has been designed in a particular way that requires RW and camera views to be somehow linked, but I nevertheless feel it's a mistake. As I said, I am a strong user and supporter of Opus, but nevertheless I'm disappointed with this particular aspect of the software. (constructive criticism ^_^ )

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks for the thorough explanation Stephen, much appreciated and with all this said I guess there's no need for a testflight using a GA aircraft anymore.

What I will do though after this explanation is enabling FSX turbulence and wingflex in Opus since I often feel during approaches in bad weather there's not as much of I challenge due to the weather and turbulence as I would imagine there would be IRL flying in similar conditions. Will be very interesting to see if it makes any noticeable differece!

Richard Åsberg

Please read post 10 above.

Live Camera has to be in total control of the views in order to match the DHM head movements with the Bump Aircraft motions. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.

It is not a design choice, it is essential !

I'm sorry but you can only have one program in control of the eye point (head movements) and that program must obviously be in control of the camera views. I am not interested in anything other than max realism and for that the replayed 20ms accelerometer data must coordinate both the head movements with the actual aircraft's phase shifted motions. Both are needed to present these RW realistic effects within the sim. Without this there is NO realism and NO RW turbulence effects. The effect would be totally ruined and the recorded 3D accelerometer data wasted. Of course the effects must also be supervised by the LWE which knows the exact meteorological conditions and is therefore able to intelligently control BOTH the head movements and the aircraft motions. The Live Camera interface software is responsible for replaying the various DHM effects data, superimposing the effects, and controlling both the head movements and aircraft motions. This was and still is our aim. To bring maximum realism in both weather and the accompanying turbulence effects, both inside and outside the cockpit. Its the only reason I fly the sim.

Stephen

Of course, there is always the possibility of giving users more control over the severity of the aircraft motions, the amount or level of the Bump Aircraft motions. I might add a slider control for those who wish to alter the Bump Aircraft scaling.

Stephen :-)

I actually like Ezdok and want to continue using it,

Hi Howard,

Initially I had the same opinion. I used Opus for wx and EZ for cams. Took me a while to jump over to Opus for the cams but am glad I did for all the reasons that Stephen has outlined in his posts.

See the SimForums Coming Soon. I am thinking of adding a slider control to adjust the scaling between the DHM head movements and the Bump Aircraft aircraft motions. This should allow users to fine tune the effects, both DHM and Aircraft, to suit their aircraft and personal preferences.

We will for all the reasons highlighted above never separate the two head movement and aircraft motion effects though. They are both driven by the same data and coordinated for maximum realism. That's how it has to be I'm afraid, no other compromise will work and could not be coordinated with any other camera Addon doing its own thing.

Stephen

Hi Howard,

Initially I had the same opinion. I used Opus for wx and EZ for cams. Took me a while to jump over to Opus for the cams but am glad I did for all the reasons that Stephen has outlined in his posts.

Hmm, thanks for the reply Graham, but the problem I have is that I much prefer the Ezdok camera DHMs as I find Opus look very artificially generated (sorry Stephen :rolleyes: )

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Artificial .. That's a laugh. Its RECORDED data from on board real aircraft. Need I say any more, but if you prefer your silly wobbles then fine. Its enough for me that we have recieved a great deal of praise from RW experienced GA and airline pilots.

Stephen

Not intending to offend Stephen, just my opinion.

Howard