Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Bannister-Pearce

Heavy stutter fsx. CPU failure imminent?

No affinity mask set?

The first core (technically Core00) is then running the FSX load - typically at 100% utilization, unless
an external framerate limiter is used.

If you introduce affinitymask=14, this load should clearly move to the next core (Core01) and
Core00 should now be lightly loaded.

The remaining cores should vary, and even if they max out, there should be no noticeable effect on FSX.

Try renaming your fsx.cfg file and let FSX run with the default settings as a test.

You'll have to select the proper graphics resolution, and limit framerates to 30 in FSX for the test.

Also try running a CPU monitor, like CPU-Z or Rightmark while FSX is running, and see if the CPU throttles back at

the times FSX stutters - possibly the Processor is taking protective action..

Here is a typical CPU usage snapshot with FSX running with affinitymask=14

Bert

Morning burt,

Compared to the view above , all I'm seeing I cores 3 & 4 getting a good work out. It Appears that windows own 'set affinity' takes priority over the 'affinity mask' command in my fsx .cfg. I tried using affinitymask=7 to see if it would leave the last core free with no result. However. Switching between core via 'set affinity' seemed to work.

I'll post up a shot of my task manager later to show what I'm seeing.

Best wishes,

Jess B

May or may not be related to your issue, but Windows Defender is known to be troublesome.

Disable it, and run Microsoft Security Essentials.

You can test your RAM very easily, by trying one stick at a time. Try different slots as well, to determine if it's the MB or RAM.

You can also try memtest, or indeed Windows 7's built in memory tester. Just go to the search box and enter memory, then hit "diagnose memory problems".

Very unlikely to be your CPU. Your temps are fine, as you confirmed. And CPU's very rarely fail.

Having said the above, given that everything else runs okay on your comp, it is most likely an FSX issue. Sorry to have to say this, but you may have to bite the bullet and completely reinstall FSX and all add-ons.

ok guys, here's a shot of what's going on core wise.

taskman1_zps42dc1123.jpg

Spook, nice idea but i don't have securesearch installed.

the above was taken at my usual settings. Scenery maxed out except water - high x2 and autogen - dense. 

rolliing it back to nothing still causes stutters but only core 4 is working hard, with occasional spikes on 3

To eliminate affinity problems - with FSX runing, open task manager, go to processes tab, right click on FSX and select "set affinity" from menu. Then check cores 2,3,4 and click ok. Load the flight and see what happens.
Also, could you attach your FSX.CFG file and Nvidia Inspector settings? + screenshoot of FSX menu settings.
If not memory, just one bad tweak or setting can do this in FSX

Tried it last night. Cores 3&4 still fills up whist core 2 sits quietly. The problem seems to be core 3. It's this core that's overloading and causing the stutters. 4 is working hard but not at 100% at the moment. Cores 1&2 seem asleep by comparison.

This ones got me beat so far. I can see this ending in a reinstall. Grrrrr

Installing FSX elsewhere will mainly pick up loads of old settings so may not be any use. Try renaming dll.xml, try renaming exe.xml so they are unused, uncheck all the addon scenery or better still rename the scenery.cfg, restore default terrain.cfg, use a stock aircraft.

...default the GPU to let app decide

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

And got the little S.O.B! I've just spent the last hour or so doing as Steve mentioned (hey Steve btw, long time since we've spoken eh!) and after removing my dll.xml file, the stutters ceased and everything. Returned to normal in the cores with 2,3 & 4 all working properly.

So I systematically disabled everything in the XML and then switch them back on two by two. The culprit is fs copilot. It's the one that's been forcing everything onto the last two cores. Disabling it brought everything back in line.

I've no idea why it was doing that but I'm glad its gone. Of course ow I have to find out how to make sqauwkbox work over my network.

Thanks for the help guys.

Best wishes,

Jess B

hey Jess, yes I've been busy, will be emerging from bat cave soon.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

Memory could be an issue I guess. It's two sticks of 8gb ram by ocz iirc. It's new, just 4 months old, but I'm wondering if one stick has worked loose. My rig gets dragged to shows and back so it's possible a bump has dislodged a stick. I'll investigate tomorrow. My rig is unavailable due to guests. Grrrrf

Jessica, I have just fixed a machine on which nothing would run for more than a few seconds, I checked everything was seated properly and removed then re-seated the ram, it works perfectly now......I know weird! <_<

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

And got the little S.O.B! I've just spent the last hour or so doing as Steve mentioned (hey Steve btw, long time since we've spoken eh!) and after removing my dll.xml file, the stutters ceased and everything. Returned to normal in the cores with 2,3 & 4 all working properly.

So I systematically disabled everything in the XML and then switch them back on two by two. The culprit is fs copilot. It's the one that's been forcing everything onto the last two cores. Disabling it brought everything back in line.

I've no idea why it was doing that but I'm glad its gone. Of course ow I have to find out how to make sqauwkbox work over my network.

Thanks for the help guys.

Best wishes,

Jess B

FSCopilot has a tool that modifies core usage, it was most likely that (name escapes me at the moment) You can probably run FSCopilot and just disable that one program and be good to go. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W