Sign in to follow this  
shermank

Attn: Simmers in Paris, France

Sherm,I am not French (but Belgian) but I can assure you that only some French do not like Americans (how much: anyone guess). As for GWB that is another matter but this is no place to make political comments if we wish to avoid heated discussion.Enjoy flying.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Guest Mikerookie

Hi Sherm,I am french.I gave up reading the usenet flight sim board because of all the political heat, sheer stupidity, absolute BS of the arguments about GWB, Irak war and french/american supposed hatred. This is just too much for me.I have been working for the last 20 years for a large american corporation and have come to grow respect and friendship for american people.One of the reason I am a daily reader (and sometimes poster) on this forum is that I find the quality and maturity level of this board among the best on the net as far as flight simming is concerned.Now, All I want is to have nice discussions about my hobby with whoever is willing, wherever he may come from. And Avsim is the place.This is why I would be happy and honoured to welcome Tom in my city.In the meantime, Good flight !Mike, out.

Guest Mikerookie

Roger,Tu seras bienvenu ! Contacte moi sur ICQMike, out

I approve you completely Mike.Let's forget those words to the politicians.We are a small community over the world sharing the same passion, meaning that we have a lot of things in common.IMHO Simflying is not a simple hobby it's also a way of life, a way of thinking, regardless to the stamp in the passport.I am always proud and happy to communicate with simmers from Arab countries, forgetting for awhile the problems of our peoples.Let's continue...Tom, if you come once to Jerusalem, you'll get a guide to visit the city, a friend to share your passion and a fellow to have a good diner downtown :-))(that's true for you too, Mike, obviously)Regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Sherman, there is a lot of confusion over this matter. I realize that your comment was just in jest, but too many people really believe it. I have lived in Paris for many years and can assure you that the French do NOT hate Americans. Just the contrary. The overwhelming majority of French people admire and respect us. And, they are convinced that we love them right back. You might even get the impression that they all want to BE Americans. But, this feeling is pretty much shared by everyone in the world - just check out the lines in front of American consulates. Tens of thousands of people trying to get a residence visa.On the other hand, Americans have always hated the French. This goes back many centuries and probably has to do with old tribal enmities, Brits vs. French, Protestants vs. Papists, etc. We have always assumed that the French hate us, and so we hate them back. Unfortunately,, since very few of us speak the other's language, communication between the two countries has been deficient and the misunderstanding has persisted.But, this is changing, and the French press has amply reported on the prolonged and unjustified French bashing in the U.S. in recent years. The French are learning at last that we hate them.Too bad. They have always been our best friends and allies. Without them, there would not have been a U.S. of A., as we would have lost the Revolution without their assistance. The very symbol of our country, the Statue of Liberty, was a gift from the French, symbolizing their respect and friendship for us. And how have we paid them back?Too many Americans who know absolutely nothing of France or the French are very quick to assume that the French hate us and are our enemies. But, in times like these, it is wise to be able to distinguish between your true enemies and your faithful friends.Best regards.Luis

Guest HSIMAN

Hello Tomglad you are visting our ParisI live here since 1978 and would be very pleasd to meet you thereHere is my contact mail csantoni@noos.frhope you give me a call and we' ll try to meetfriendly christian

Hi,I'm fr.simflight.com chief editor and live near Paris. We may meet if you want, drop me a mail at sebastien(at)simflight.com . BTW, my spoken english is not perfect but anyway we may be able to meet . :-)

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

Bonjour Mr Tom Allensworth,You will be wellcoming in France.Thank you for your work in our passion : the simulation.I can't meet you in Paris, i live in the south of France but we support you.SincerlyEric TurpinAiles VirtuellesPS: if someone of our amercican friend want to come in the south of France, contact me !!!!

Guest Melvin

Hi Dillon,Your comments about French citizens can be assimilated to a provocation and lead me to bring my own ones :1) It would have been a great pleasure for me to meet Tom during his trip in France but I'm persuaded that a little town near the Luxembourg border at three hundred kilometers from Paris is not a dreamed destination where Tom would like to spend a few days. In these conditions, you can easily understand that my invitation would have been rejected and I thought it was needless to respond to this message.2) I would like to inform you that it's holiday time in France and teenagers are currently leaving their schools for a little more than one week and departures for the French Riviera are numerous during this season particularly for Parisians which can explain that Tom's proposition hasn't received the expected welcome.3) After having read a thread on Francesim's forum this morning mentioning Tom's arrival, I can swear you that French simmers know that Tom will be among us the next week and I'm sure he will receive several appointments.Before ending, I wish you, Tom, a nice trip in France...Greetings...Vincent Mellinger

This discussion has gotten way beyond Tom's announcement that he will be in Paris, hoping to meet up with some simmers on his visit. I guess i am somewhat at fault, and do want to clarify that I have no animosity toward France or the French. I might have some advice for the foreign policy, but this is not the place to bring up that subject.My wife and I were in Paris for a few days a couple of years ago on the way south to Provence. Virtually everyone we encountered was polite and helpful, with perhaps the exception of one sommilier at an aubuerge outside Avignon who professed no knowledge or interest in the great California wines of Napa. His disdain was evident, if not toward Americans, then certainly to our wines.In Paris, we had a remarkable experience. We like to roam around at will and I had the idea we could find a quaint restaurant in one of the suburbs. We took a bus, until the end of the line with no such restaurant in sight. The driver in his Franglais explained that he was done for the day and returning the bus to the bus barn. In my fractured French, I explained how we were looking unsucessfully for a restaurant and wanted to get back to our hotel near The Bastille. Without a pause, the driver took the bus off his assigned route and drove us to a nearby Metro station, from where we made it back to Paris Central and a very pleasant dinner. Clearly the canard that the Parisians are snooty toward American tourists is just that, a canard (not a duck). Politeness and Friendship are universal values. It's alwasys true in flight sim forums, and true in the world at large, if we only take the time and patience to experience it.Sherm

Well guys my view is starting to change. I just found it odd that Tom had this post up for awhile and nobody from Paris responded... I actually love France and would love to go there as with many other countries. What always makes a place bad for me is people's attitudes... It's all do to uninformed stereotypes we have of different people (partly thanks to the media these days). A comment was made about it being a holiday in France at this time. I've found many Flightsimmers are not teenagers, their older adults. Hopefully more of the older folks will come out and meet Tom.A comment was also made about GWB and although we don't want to make this into a political discussion, that administration has seriously tarnished the view of the American people to the rest of the world (whether you like him or not this is the facts). So in the context of this discussion I could understand anyone's reservations towards Americans especially if GWB is re-elected...Thank the maker we can make some sort of a difference in some people's eyes through communities like we have with Flight Simulator... There are so many great people that have to live under the tyranny of corrupt political leaders. It's sad that the whole general population has to take the heat for one person's bad decision (or decisions period).To all that's checking I'm not trying to be political here but all Americans are facing different dynamics in the world when traveling than what we faced before and things should be discussed and friends made where ever possible. Just because you live in a place doesn't mean you agree with the policy. So when I come to visit you look at me for me and don't judge me based on a decision someone else had made (please)...Have a safe trip Tom....

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest bisinchi

Tom,Even though I live near Paris, I won't be in Paris next WE (it's a 3 day WE, so it's a nice opportunity to take a break from the Paris area), so I can't meet up. Sorry. Hopefully you will meet up with simmers and have a great WE in Paris,Francois

Guest bisinchi

Hi Sherm,What's wrong with California Wine? It's pretty good, I tried it (so are a lot of wines from many countries all over the world). Regards,Francois