Sign in to follow this  
newtie

SceneryConfig Editor question

I've downloaded this from SourceForge and already seem to have a problem. Most of my scenery objects (Megascenery 2.0 states, FSDreamteam airports etc.) do not show up there to be enabled/disabled prior to a given flight. I'm assuming part of the problem is that I have MS 2.0 located on another disk, although that's not the case with other sceneries.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

I started using it today also, and its not really intuitive with the groups and everything, even after reading the manual.

It only needs your scenery.cfg, so it doenst matter where your scenery actually is, on which drive or in which folders.

You mean that not all of your scenery is showing in the list, or that everything you check to 'activate' isn't showing up in FSX when started?

The Scenery Config Editor loads your Scenery.cfg when it first starts up and will show all of the scenery you have installed whether enabled or disabled.  If that's not the case, then you need to begin the process of adding the areas missing.  I have most of the MSE V2 scenery and it is located on another HDD, separate from FSX.  I just added 35 States using the Scenery Config Editor and it works great and definitely not as difficult as adding the scenery within FSX in the Scenery Library.  In other words, it does not have that Windows 7 bug where you have to click on a blank space to enable a scenery.  I do not use groups but I added all my scenery then ran FSX so the scenery could be indexed.  I then closed FSX and went back to the Scenery Config Editor and deactivated all my MSE V2 stuff  and then clicked Save (very important as that will save it to the Scenery.cfg).  Now, before starting a flight I'll open up the scenery config editor and enable only those States where I'll be flying over in my flightplan.  I might add adjacent States too as you can see some of those States when you are at FL100 and higher. 

If you try the method I tried and explained here a week or two ago whereby I saved a flightplan, say from Chicago to St Louis, as KORD_KSTL_Scenery.  I thought I could simply click on this KORD_KSTL scenery.cfg and the States of Illinois and Missouri and the other addons relevant to this flightplan would show up.  Most of the time they did and I clicked on Save in the Scenery Config Editor to save it to the Scenery.cfg, BUT, I saw that the stuff wasn't being transferred properly to the Scenery.cfg.  I would start that flight from Chicago and suddenly see default scenery on the ground.  I would look in the Scenery Library and I would see that it was not enabled so something screwy happened.  Since then I have been simply activating what I need for a planned flight, save it, and then Go Fly.  So far it works great.

I agree the Group Plans doesn't work well as it is a bit complicated.  Don't like complications.....

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, Jim.

I'll see about adding all the absent areas tomorrow.

Also, do you use the same procedure for adding/deleting airports?

Mark

ps. Is there a way to automate installing 30+ .exes when adding MS 2.0 states? I really like the scenery, but very laborious to install.

Also, do you use the same procedure for adding/deleting airports?

Yes.  Everything relating to adding/removing scenery is solely done through the Scenery Config Editor.  To automate installing all your MSE States, the MSE install program for and setup file will add the entry into your Scenery.cfg.  So, for Missouri, all you need to do is run any of the setup programs.  The first one or the 10th one.  It will place the entry into your scenery.cfg and where the product is located.  So just reinstall a setup file for each State then go into the Scenery Config Editor and move their priority up or down.  I have all of mine in alphabetical order so I can find them a little faster when I'm enabling them.  I found this out about running just one setup program accidentally after manually adding each one through the Scenery Config Editor.  Also I have all of the addon airports, like from FS DreamTeam, placed higher in priority.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just got home and checked a few things...

the MSE install program for and setup file will add the entry into your Scenery.cfg

Most of my installed sceneries, airports, MS 2.0 Arizona and Nevada aren't there. A few are.

They are in the scenery library within FSX tho'.

So, I'm not sure what's goin' on here, but at this point, it just seems easier to uncheck those areas that will not be flown over within FSX prior to a flight vs. using the SceneryConfig Editor.

Thanks Jim,

Mark

Mark