Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

G3D Error with Win 8.1

Today, I installed the Windows 8.1 preview. My excitement for all of the cool new features was cut short upon starting FSX. Several seconds in, FSX threw a fatal error, a G3D.dll error. I use FSUIPC, which I understand normally fixes this error, so this is not a fix in this case. A friend tried running a clean install of FSX and had the same problem. Has anyone else installed 8.1 and found a fix for this error? I use this computer as a development machine and must run FSX fairly frequently to test add-ons, etc, so if I don't have a fix soon, I will have to do a clean install of the RTM Windows 8.

In case it is of any use, here is the log from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c1699
Faulting process id: 0x1258
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce72ea4de7563f
Faulting application path: C:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\FSX\g3d.dll
Report Id: a0bb6d68-dedd-11e2-bf4d-002215eead5a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Microsoft Flight crashes as well. In this case, the faulting module is kernel32.dll.

Brandon Filer

Same error and no solution. P3D is working no problem. Let me know if you hear anything. I've been hammering away all day with no luck.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Good to know that Prepar3D works. Looks like I will be switching to it as soon as possible if FSX is for sure dead with 8.1. I'm going to post on the official Windows 8.1 Preview forum and see if I get any official response there. I fear that they may not care considering that FSX isn't supported and Flight isn't being developed any further (though it is supported).

Brandon Filer

<p>The new driver is still not running FSX?</p>

i'm having this error also, windows 8.1. Worked fine before 8.1.

read somewhere running FSX through runs fine through REX Essentials but am having no luck with that.

And the fish is about to swim backwards.

FSUIPC traps a fault at ba79f, 8.1 looks to be generating possibly a different one in a different mem location. Perhaps if the Morlocks at MS can't figure this out, Dowson will.