Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Quick AN2 Question

Does the Antonov AN2 have an autopilot??  Is it possible to install  one if not??

Weirdly enough, yes and no.

The aircraft has no autopilot that I can see, but I accidentally hit ap on on my Saitek panel the other day and she started banking left to come to a heading.

Spot on Jessica. The An-2 has no autopilot but FSX does. How was your day at Popham? Do tell.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Loud. Lol.

I'll say this, sibWings have the noise of the startup procedure spot on. It was deafening from the cockpit. I also got away with a copy of the checklist and a meters to feet conversion chart the guys use. The guys were fantastic and the aircraft itself was stunning. It's quite a climb to the cockpit through.

There wasn't a taxi test as they found a leak in the brake pneumatic system, but we did do an engine run up, all the way to 2100 rpm and it was fantastic.

I had a smile on my face for two days afterwards. :-)

Best wishes,

Jess B

Ok, thanks. Next question, does it have a heading bug that can be set?? if it does, then I can install my RXP GNS530 in the 2-D window, move it over to my second monitor and use it. While I greatly enjoy hand flying T/O's, landing patterns and turns, I find straight and level flight mentally excruciating in the extreme. My OCD demands that I fly within 50 feet of planned altitude and + - 3 degrees of intended course. It's agony!! LOL

Sounds like a dream day Jessica B-P. (hope it's OK to say it that way) :-)

I don't have any experience with this bird, but this thread sounds like it's somehow connected to the SDK autopilot. So the GNS should come in handy here (configured for all those A/P 'links').

Additionally I'd take a look at the stock A/P commands in FSX (increase hdg, decrease hdg etc.): There's a likelihood they could work, too.

I find the AN-2 to be exceptionally stable and easy to hand fly. Trim her well and she's pretty easy to keep on course.

Hi Woodhick,

Just to clarify, any aircraft in FSX can have the default FSX autopilot commands 'activated'.

Airplanes that don't appear to have an A/P, (like the Alabeo WACO as an example), with have this entry, in the Aircraft.cfg :-

[autopilot]
autopilot_available= 0

....you can simply change that '0' to a '1' and the aircraft will now respond to the assigned default FSX autopilot key commands.

Eg. AP Master = Z, Wing Leveller = Ctrl+V (... I think from memory!).

....or of course, you can assign your own.

I have just fitted a RXP 430 WAAS into my WACO YMF (Popup, not VC integrated!), and have 'actvivated' the AP as above, and all commands are working perfectly, and the aicraft will follow the RXP, when the NAV/GPS switch (which still functions by key assignment even though there isn't one in the aircraft) is set to GPS and the NAV AP mode (ditto) is activated.

Just in case anyone thinks that's crazy in a WACO; it's actually an optional extra!

http://www.wacoaircraft.com/assets/PDFs/Sales/YMF-D/IFRPriceSheetr29.pdf

:smile:

Cheers.

Probably not recommended for planes with a custom A/P.

Thanks, Dave, I was aware only of the stock aircraft, but your tip should work with addon aírcraft, too, if they have no 'external' A/P modelled.

Probably not recommended for planes with a custom A/P.

Thanks, Dave, I was aware only of the stock aircraft, but your tip should work with addon aírcraft, too, if they have no 'external' A/P modelled.

That's right. If they are using custom code for the A/P (eg... for things like FL CH, VNAV, etc, which aren't part of the default FSX AP code), then it's best to leave the [Autopilot] entry alone in the Aircraft.cfg.

But for any aircraft without an AP, above is totally safe, to get the default stuff 'activated' for the plane.

In a plane that wouldn't normally have an A/P, I'll often activate it purely to use the 'Wing Leveller' function (for moments when nature calls!) :lol:

Guest JetFueler

There was some discussion about this in the SibWings AN2 Specific forum.

The autopilot is enabled by default and hitting 'Z' will turn it on and off.  It uses wings and pitch level so it will roughly hold heading and altitude for you if you get it trimmed out.  It is adequate enough if you need to run and grab a beverage or use the restroom but it won't be rock solid.  I believe the reasoning behind this was because while it doesn't really have an autopilot this will at least simulate someone taking the controls for you momentarily.

Airplanes that don't appear to have an A/P, (like the Alabeo WACO as an example), with have this entry, in the Aircraft.cfg :-

Yes, I know that one.  I fly the Waco also and use my RXP GNS530 with great success. 

There was some discussion about this in the SibWings AN2 Specific forum.

The autopilot is enabled by default and hitting 'Z' will turn it on and off. It uses wings and pitch level so it will roughly hold heading and altitude for you if you get it trimmed out.

Now that's really interesting and sounds like what I'm looking for indeed.

Thanks to all :-)