Sign in to follow this  
Vargveum

Blue screen - help me please

Hello gents. I am getting the blue screen of death on start up - BAD_POOL_HEADER 0x00000019

As I am absolutely no computer expert, I am strugling to see what is going on. I have tried to google to find a solution, but to no avail. 

The computer, a Dell Aurora R4, win7 64, starts up in safe mode ok. After I use restore, it boots up fine. However, the next time over, I get the same bluescreen on start up again.

I haven't installed any new hardware or software before this. The problem just popped up out of the blue.

Windows Security Essentials complete scan doesn't show any threats.

The SFC/SCANNOW command tells me that some corrupted files have been repaired. But it doesn't cure the problem

As I write this I am running CHKDSK/R to see if the disk is messed up and it takes a while (honestly I haven't a clue about what I am doing).

Basically, it would be really great if someone could assist me with a checklist to do the right diagnostics on this.

Thanks  

You did a system restore and the system boots up okay.  Goto Windows update and make sure it does not automatically update Windows.  Most likely after the system restore, Windows is downloading and installing an update that doesn't work on your system.  That is why you are getting the BSOD when you restart later on.

I would also go on the Internet and download and install a Driver Updater.  I use Driver Scanner - www.uniblue.com.  It's freeware if you download and run it.  If it finds outdated drivers, it will offer to download and install the drivers but you will have to buy the product (all are pretty cheap at around $30 a year).  You can also see what drivers are out of date and Google the drivers and update the drivers yourself.  In any case it will tell you if any of your drivers are out of date.

You did good running the sfc/scannow.  The following link provides you more information about the BSOD and provides a link to help resolve BSOD's http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557389(v=vs.85).aspx.  I really think it is Windows Update though.  I never allow Windows to automatically update my system.  I want to know what they are downloading and make the selections myself.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim. I will come back when I know more about what is going on. 

Jim

Thank you!

Yesterday:

Computer crashed with bluescreen- safe mode again - system restore - computer started ok - disabled windows update - shut down.

Today:

Fired up and Voila! Started without bluescreen. 

I think that was the solution. Thanks again  :lol:

Great news Daniel!  Hopefully that is the fix.  Normally Windows Update works well but every so often Microsoft issues a bad security update or a fix to a Microsoft.net app.  This is why I tell Windows Update to check for updates but let me decide what should be downloaded and updated.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm increasingly inclined to not let Windows Update run at all; seems like The Morlocks have taken over at Redmond HQ.

@firehawk44

Just wanted to confirm that the problem is solved. Since switching off windows update I haven't had any more bluescreens. 

Once again Jim, thank you so much for your assistance. You cracked it!  ^_^