Sign in to follow this  
jongreen

FSX Acceleration Pack

More and more add-ons seem to require installation of the FSX Acceleration pack but I am concerned that installing it on top of an existing FSX Sp2 set up (which is heavily laden with numerous add-ons) might mess things up. I have heard some horror stories but can anyone offer their own experiences in this respect?

Thank you!

I have no experience with this myself, but I've also heard bad things about that. I personally would not do it, besides I'm not aware of so many addons that explicitly require ACC instead of SP2, most of those are fighter jets. I'd recommend to either uninstall FSX completely (or at least all addons) or wait until you have to make a complete reinstall (which I don't wish you, though), that is most likely the only absolutely safe way.

The impending Milviz 737. That's the one I would really like. Apparently ACC is essential.

According to Microsoft:

If install SP2 and later purchase Flight Simulator X: Acceleration, you must uninstall SP2 before installing Acceleration.

According to Microsoft:

If install SP2 and later purchase Flight Simulator X: Acceleration, you must uninstall SP2 before installing Acceleration.

I once tried to install ACC over an existing install of SP2, but the ACC installer forced me to remove SP2 at first IIRC.

That alone most likely wouldn't be the potential problem - the problem is whether existing addons will behave properly if you removed SP2 and installed ACC. I'm not sure exactly what files Acceleration adds or modifies, but it seems likely that at least some more complex addons may have a problem with it.

Been there - done that and it worked with no issues. I had FSX Deluxe installed with SP1 & SP2. Microsoft Store had a sale several months ago for FSX Gold for $9.99, with UPS delivery included, so I bought it. You do need to remove SP2. Go to Control Panel, Remove a Program, (or similar depending on what Windows version you are running), find Microsoft Flight Simulator X:SP2, uninstall it,reboot and install the Acceleration DVD. Mine installed with no problem and also was activated online, again with no issues. I had a complete FSX backup "just in case" but did not need it. All the add-ons work with no issues.

Hope my experience helps with your decision.

Lyn