Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Need help how to record both FSX and ATC sound

I just started looking into how to make FSX movies. First I thought I would only use FS Recorder with FRAPS and then Sony Movie Studio to make a movie from a FS Recorder replay but now I thought it would be cool to also record live flights on VATSIM and what I wonder is how to record both the sound from FSX as well as the sound from ATC (both my own voice going into the mic of the headset as well as ATC and other pilots voices coming out from the headset headphones.

I've seen these type of movies many times where you hear both the sound from FSX as well as the ATC sound but I can't really figure out how to set this up. I use separate sound cards for FSX and ATC, the FSX sound coming from my main desktop speakers connected to a Creative SB x-Fi Fatal1ty and the ATC sound coming from my headset connected to it's own dedicated USB soundcard only used for ATC.

Maybe this is the problem that I'm using different soundcards for FSX and ATC or how would it be possible for me to record both the FSX and ATC sound (both incoming and outgoing)?

Thanks in advance guys!

Richard Åsberg

Hi

Unfortunatly I have bad news:

If you select COM1 and COM2 in the options menu.

It records COM1 and COM2 frequencies and the transponder code. Recording ATC communication is not possible.

I'm searching for a solution at the moment as soon as I find one, I wil reply here again.

Hi

Unfortunatly I have bad news:

If you select COM1 and COM2 in the options menu.

It records COM1 and COM2 frequencies and the transponder code. Recording ATC communication is not possible.

I'm searching for a solution at the moment as soon as I find one, I wil reply here again.

Thanks for your input but I think we might be talking about different things here because recording ATC is fully possible at least VATSIM ATC which is the ATC I'm talking about. Maybe you were thinking about the FSX ATC? However I don't see why you shouldn't be able to record that as well since that usually comes out from the same speakers where you have your main FSX sound and this of course is no problems to record.

Anyway I managed to have this working now, that is to record both the FSX sound as well as the VATSIM ATC (both input and output) so for anyone else in the same situation trying to get this to work just let me know and I'll try to push you in the right direction.

Richard Åsberg

You can do this with FRAPS as it has the ability to record from 2 audio sources. A better program, since it seems to record with much smaller file sizes allowing you to record longer videos  would be Bandicam. They also claim to have better performance then FRAPS, but I haven't seen it. I only have a C2D though. I use GAMECAM which has much better performance then either program, but it's an old program, and can only record from 1 audio source.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks for your input but I already found a program that so far seems very good called Action! from a developer called Mirillis.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks for your input but I already found a program that so far seems very good called Action! from a developer called Mirillis.

How big are the file sizes with that program? With FRAPS you can use up 4GB for just 10 minutes. With Gamecam, I can get over 2 hours with 1.2GB.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

How big are the file sizes with that program? With FRAPS you can use up 4GB for just 10 minutes. With Gamecam, I can get over 2 hours with 1.2GB.

The compression rate is far better than with FRAPS, for instance I recorded a complete flight from ENGM-ESSA including preflight and everything and the length was 1:40 and that resulted in a 69 GB file and that is 1920x1080 at 30 FPS and when exporting the file in high quality still in 1920x1080 that resulted in a 13 GB file so I would say that is pretty good!

I suggest for anyone interested to download the trial version which will work for 30 days. The only limitation I've found so far is it will put a watermark in the movies and me...I only wish I wouldn't have wasted my money on FRAPS...

Richard Åsberg

Bandicam only allows you to select one audio source,  at least I've never found a second option on my version.

Bandicam only allows you to select one audio source,  at least I've never found a second option on my version.

If you go into the settings option in the video section, there is a primary and a secondary audio source setting. (In the Vista/Win 7 only, WinXP does not support dual audio sources)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

WebMaximus, I've been trying to use Action! to record but it only records my microphone input. What are your settings?