Sign in to follow this  
mortenha69

TWR will not issue Clear for Take Off after lineup

Well, we're off to a great start! (NOT!)

While I'm writing this I am lined up for take off at ENNA (Norwegian Air Force Base, Banak, way up north) RWY 17. The last TWR instruction I got was: "Lufthansa 229, Tower, Runway 17, line up and wait".

And that was 10 minutes ago...

This is obviously not supposed to happen! Unless this is a cruel joke that RC throws at noobs!

These are my settings RC:

Load a flightplan

ENNA to ENBO@34000 (Alt1- , Alt2-) / ATA.BADIX.PIGAX.BDF.LAVNA.EVD.ULVAK.. *RVSM

Controller Info

Departing Rwy 17, Arriving Rwy 7, Dep TL( FL 80) Arr TL( FL 80)
D/ATIS(12480) D/CD(0) D/GND(12210) D/TWR(12210) D/DEP(0) D/ARR(0)
A/ATIS(12390) A/GND(11810) A/TWR(11810) A/DEP(12400) A/ARR(12400)

Radar Contact options

LUFTHANSA 2 2 9 Heavy
display text(OFF) play pilot(ON) auto reply(ON) ckpt ding(ON) AI interaction(ON) tune on contact(ON) vfr squawk(1200) 250kt alt(10000) Alt dev(300) Hdg dev(15) Spd dev(10) AI chatter(OFF) Live chatter(ON) IFR Training(OFF)
.FLT/.WX Path =

The RC panel inside FSX has only one selectable option:

Main-0

And my first fix enroute is:

<ATA>33m/250/11740

"NoDepProc" was selected under Controller Info before I clicked the "Start RC" button!

I'm tempted to just push up the throttles and start rolling. But I feel this will only give me a sh*tload of virtual trouble with the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority. And no real solution to my troubles with the absent controller in Banak tower!

Instead I'm listening to Live chatter. TALKING NORWEGIAN!  LoL, Truly amazing really.

It doesn't matter that the chatter has been recorded at ENTO TWR, 860nm from my current location.

You Yanks always have trouble grasping the size of Norway, thinking it is no bigger than Rhode Island.

So, any suggestions?

-----------------------------------------------

Morten Haughom

Greetings from the sticks!

N70° 22' 23 - E031° 06' 02

Vardø, Norway

Did you run the MakeRunways utility?  This is done via the button on the RC4 UI that says something to the effect of rebuild scenery db.  RC4 needs to know about the scenery you have installed so it can tell when you're near the entrance point to the assigned take off runway.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Yep Kevin, I did. Twice even. I was told in another thread that the version shipped with the RCv4.3 download was old. Downloaded ver 4.65 from Peter Dowson's own site.

Morten Haughom

Vardø, Norway

What value do you have for Heading in General Options? The default is 15. If you have changed that to a lower value it may prevent RC from issuing a take-off clearance.

Nothing else immediately springs to mind.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Try turning off the AI traffic. In my experience, there's a hung up AI somewhere that kept RC from issuing me a takeoff clearance. Once you get your clearance, turn the AI on again.

Ray: No didn't change the default values.

Bert: I'm looking into it :)

Thanx both of you, will report back soon :)

Morten Haughom

Vardø, Norway

Morten,

Turn Ai Chatter on. It's on by default so could be the cause of the problem if you've turned it off.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This is beyond embarrassing, and if I had any brains, I should tell a cheesy lie now and leave this forum for a month with my cheeks still burning red even after 30 days of shame and utter discomfort. But you all came to my aid, I owe you the truth:

I was lined up alright, only it was RWY35...

I should never get a job that requires mastering spatial orientation. Sad to say, it is a major part of my job, as I my profession falls under ATS: I'm an AFIS Officer at ENSS TWR.

Any explanation is probably lost on you by now, as you all are laughing so hard, it becomes hard to read further because of all the tears...

But I need to warn about distractions and how dangerous they can be when you're flying big jets: I was multitasking beyond my capacity. Desktop simming with a two year old in a foul mood running around your feet isn't recommended. Not when you in between this, also have promised your better half to finish painting the guest bedroom. Making you run back and forth in an attempt to fool her into thinking you're making progress.

What is the lesson? Don't buy exiting software unless you have cleared your schedule. And grow up! Having the impulse control of a ten year old isn't charming nor good for the family harmonics...

I apologize for wasting your time, you deserve the laugh.

Now the kid is asleep, the bedroom is finished. And can't wait to get airborne with RC!

Happy flying :)       

Morten Haughom

Vardø, Norway

Well done for being so honest Morten. I sympathise with you. It sounds like you don't get much peace up there in the land of the midnight sun.

I've made similar mistakes. Lined up on 27R at EGLL when ATC was expecting me on 27L. You're not the first and you won't be the last. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Been there many times myself.  As a single father of a now 4 year old whom I have 100% of the time, I've really had to try hard to figure out how to manage my flight simming time.  It's not easy to fly when you have a young one around and I've made the same mistake a time or two by trying to keep track of too many things at once.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, glad you figured it out.  Enjoy RC4.  I'm really enjoying flying around your country right now myself.  I'd love to visit in person some day as I'm sure it's a million times more beautiful in person than FSX could ever portray.  Some real breathtaking scenery there from what I have seen in pics and in the virtual FSX world!!!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Been there, done that :)

I don't recall the airport but it had diverging runways about forty degrees apart with a common taxiway joining the two at the apex.

I also noticed in your controller options you chose your departure runway. If you have FS ai turned on with interact with AI selected as normal to allow RC protection services, it is best to let RC assign the runway. It examines ai patterns first at highest priority since in certain circumstances they do not follow an easily predictable runway assignment. FS runway selection scoring for ai is very complex including allowing in some cases modest tailwinds according to aircraft type.

For best performance and least confusion I recommend avoiding Pre-recorded chatter not be enabled as it is random. AI Chatter along with Interact with AI should be on to provide chatter according to the present ai and with the vertical ATC strata boundaries and only those on the same frequency (tower, ground, departure, enroute, approach).

Pilot auto reply and co-pilot comm handling can allow you to miss an ATC command with no repeat request option. In addition if not near a waypoint to be crossed and credited, you can use with manual comms the procedure of delaying the acknowledgement just a bit to allow the aircraft to start turning or getting established in a climb or descent so the RC controllers do not get impatient for your aircraft to respond to their commands. Just be sure you complete an acknowledgement before crossing a waypoint to be credited or else RC will consider it missed. If that does happen bring up the extended menu (9) by default, choose direct to, and select the next waypoint to skip the missed one in the list.

Happy travels.

only way I can troubleshoot it, is if you make a log. instructions pinned to the top of the forum. be sure you click debug before loading the .pln

this is possible, if the plane isn't within +/- a couple of degrees of the runway heading. is it possible somehow the runway heading is wrong in the scenery files?

rc will also wait for ai crossing in front of you, and if ai are in your take off flight path. so it's a good suggestion to turn off ai, as a test.

is this runway a weird one where the threshold is way behind you, from where you entered the runway?

jd

Hey all I run into this with waiting for TO clearance. After I don't hear anything for a couple min I full throttle. ATC don't tell mr to stop that aircraft and after I'm airborne ATC will say acy4423 have you started that turn yet and I thought it was a ray heading because no other directions past line up and wait