Sign in to follow this  
abasa12

To ENB, or Not to ENB?

That is the question :). So for the past couple of years or so I have almost never disables ENBSeries, whichI found made my FS much more vivid (I'm using FlightBeam's recommended .ini), aalthough only quite recently I have begun to wonder whether or not this addition is the most realistic. Although tge colours are quite vibrant I'm not sure this matches reality as well as default FSX (although it certainly looks better)! So what do you think about this - do I stay with ENB, change the settings, revert back to default graphics or some other solution?

All of your help is greatly appreciated!

-abasa12/Dmac Macon

PS - Can't wait for the PMDG T7!

If you can't answer that question noone can :P

I understand your problem, though. I'm using John Venema's ENB settings, and I like it, because it makes the ground textures a bit brighter than the ORBX textures are by default, and that looks absolutely great, but I have the impression that it makes the sky and clouds way too bright. However, I like the ground colors so much that I decided to stick with it.

I had so much hassle and CTDs originally with ENB that after a while I ditched it ......... and my FSX just turned into a washed out cartoon again ... :(

After a full OS and FSX reinstall, and adopting cvearl's ATI Settings from this forum, I tried ENB again 2 weeks ago, and have never looked back....  No crashes or CTDs whatsoever and some amazing settings (I actually use a GTA .ini from the 'net, that looks fantastic with FSX).

When I have it on (especially in photoscenery) and press CTRL+F12 to temporarily turn it off, for a comparison, it is so dramatic how washed out and cartoon-like FSX looks without it.

I see approximately 1-2 FPS hit from using ENB.  (slightly more in heavy weather).

I tried SweetFX but the effect was more subtle, and for me (ATI card remember!), the FPS hit was much much more noticeable.

ENB is a permanent part of my FSX config now.

I use Shade for FSX and have never had any CTD's or anything. It just runs and does what it should do. You could tweak it to your hearts content very easily but tbh I've never found the need to. Worth the few bucks imo.

Shade has nothing to do with ENB...?

I used ENB a long time but got a bit fed up with the blooming skies and gauges becoming a bit 'smeared' (or whatever you call that). I know you can change all settings but somehow I was lowering settings so much that I might as well stop using it... which I did. ;) I can't stand those screenshots with exploding clouds, blooming skies, dark groundtextures, and specially not those oddly colored variations (magenta all over the sky... yikes).

But in the end it's nice to have options. It's a very personal thing, of course.

If you can't answer that question noone can :P

I understand your problem, though. I'm using John Venema's ENB settings, and I like it, because it makes the ground textures a bit brighter than the ORBX textures are by default, and that looks absolutely great, but I have the impression that it makes the sky and clouds way too bright. However, I like the ground colors so much that I decided to stick with it.

That's it - the skies become way too bright and the cockpit becomes way too dark. The problem is that when I turn it off I agree everything looks too washed-out. The only points of darkness stand out far too much, although I'm still wondering which is actually more realistic. I also have pretty low FPS sometimes, and if ENB lowers them then that may be a cause for concern for me. I knew it had some performance impact, I just wasn't sure to what degree.

the cockpit becomes way too dark.

I've had this problem with some other ENB settings, but I found John Venema's to do a good job in this regard. (as said above, it still makes the sky too bright). In case you're interested, it can be downloaded from the ORBX forums.

No, to SweetFX of course.

Dirk. 

I have flashing light when opening a new panel or text appears in the upper screen, like ATC. I have ATI card. This is natural with ENB Series ?

The ENB effects are compelling, but at the expense of slightly blurred edges and textures.  I abandoned it months ago for this reason.  I also got fed up with Shade: too much imbalance.  The only visual enhancements I use now are my monitor's "display presets", e.g. "scenery", "theater", etc.  IMO they are as effective as using SweetFX but with zero overhead and performance penalty.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

kaloska, on 28 Jun 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

I have flashing light when opening a new panel or text appears in the upper screen, like ATC. I have ATI card. This is natural with ENB Series ?

I call it flickering, I have it both with ENB and SweetFX particularly bad in PMDG737, when changing panels, ATC text and switching views. nVidia gtx680 here.

Thanks,

Dirk.

I don't use ENB, purely because I don't want to add anything else which might make it crash more than what it does already :lol:

FSX looks old, and having ENB just adds silicon to an old hag :P