Sign in to follow this  
Guest LLgaz

Bad FS2004 performance? Check for worms!

Here is my story.....Last week I was having trouble with my graphic card, (The graphic card came loose) I got the card fixed and while he was at it my cousin check for worms and trojans on my computer. The program he used found 3 worms and 2 trojans on my computer. (the program I used did not pick these up) After he cleaned the worms and trojans up I get the computer back, set it up and fire up FS2004 and I am now getting better performance now than I did before my friend check it!I can now fly the PMDG plane into Simflyers LAS with full details of clouds and get framerates in the low 30's! Before I got the computer fixed my framerates at LAS was in the high teens and ow twenties.

That's great... but you left out one bit of important information. What was the program your cousin was using to check for the worms and trojans?

He used 2 programs one called Lava Ad-Ware SE personal and the other is Antiy Labs Gostbusters. Before I used Spybot and that didn't pick up the trojans and worms.

Guest Stainless

Hi guys,:) Another piece of anti-spyware software I find really useful is "Spyware Blaster" (which is free, unless you want automatic updates). Instead of eliminating spyware on your computer, it stops it getting there in the first place. I still use it in conjuction with Spybot S&D though.

Another useful tool is "Hijack This"... It allows you to examine all the vectors that spyware, trojans and worms use to enter your system and you can disable suspect entries. I've had so much success with this tool, that it's now standard operating procedure on my WAN for our Network Analysts to use this tool and/or consult with me when they suspect a workstation is infected. The flip side to this tool is you must know what your baseline, "normal" startup is so you can recognize changes. But it's now replaced Sbybot and Adaware as my tool of choice...-JohnP.S. To avoid most Spyware, turn off "Active Scripting" in IE and use the "Trusted Sites" feature to enable it for those sites you trust. Needless to say, Avsim is at the top of my trusted sites list :)-John

Guest Slacktide

>Another useful tool is "Hijack This"... It allows you to>examine all the vectors that spyware, trojans and worms use to>enter your system and you can disable suspect entries. I've>had so much success with this tool, that it's now standard>operating procedure on my WAN for our Network Analysts to use>this tool and/or consult with me when they suspect a>workstation is infected. The flip side to this tool is you>must know what your baseline, "normal" startup is so you can>recognize changes. But it's now replaced Sbybot and Adaware>as my tool of choice...Yep, Hijack This is a great tool, if you know what you're doing. However, if you're not experienced, it is possible to mess things up worse than they already are. Dan

Guest _patrol_

I use Spybot and Ad-aware and find that Ad-aware picks up a lot more stuff. It gets updated very frequently, where as Spybot hasn't been updated for months. David

Guest Slacktide

Well, I had mixed results. I've been wanting to improve on my framerate for a while, so I checked for worms, and indeed found evidence of a few. Went to the vet's office an bought a praziquantel pill (ten bucks for that sucker!) As a result of this pill, there were no changes in my framerate, but I am no longer grossed out by my cat sitting on my lap while I fly, and the cat seems happy that the worms are gone.Dan

I just noticed how much smoother everything gets when disabling your internet connection. Started getting suspicious when installing my firewall and noticed I had like 10 different IP addresses connecting me. I presume it

Guest LLgaz

>>>>>>>Want to see how the NoCD Patch affects framerate? Click here<<<<<