Sign in to follow this  
bob34

FSX -> Warning before you install Win 8.1 Preview

Since I installed the Windows 8.1 preview (x64) tonight, FSX no longer starts. It's CTD 20 seconds into startup.

I'm starting to see some buzz on a few forums, including Microsoft's TechNet (?) forum and many have the exact same issue.

Just thought I'd throw this out there and maybe save some pain of cleaning out 8.1 ...

If you've upgraded already and are experience (or not) this issue, I'd love to compare system specs.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

I understand there's new catalyst and nvidia drivers for 8.1 (new DirectX and WDDM).   Maybe that's related?

scott s.

I think it's a fantastic idea since I was awake 3 more hours after I posted this with no results. Updated Nvidia drivers for 8.1 are only available via Windows Update - and we're at the mercy of whenever MS wants to push them though. Right now, nothing. And that's assuming this is a driver issue. I've had a lot of years getting FS to work on mis-behaving machines, and I shutdown last night with no results.

And P3D is working - but FSX CDT - even with a fresh fsx.cfg.  

And even better - refreshing the OS is the only way to remove 8.1 (assuming that works).

That's why I'm anxious to see if anyone has this working with no issues so I can compare specs.

Update - Windows Update pushed the latest drivers for NVidia this morning, but results are the same. Still CTD before FSX starts.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog

Don't install Windows 8.1. I Did , now my X-Fi stopped working, my Kaspersky 2013 did the same!

Everyday I think about returning to Windows 7 , the best OS for sure!

Alexis Mefano

Alec - check back if you get it working. I've been at it all day and still no results.

Good luck

Don't install Windows 8.1. I Did , now my X-Fi stopped working, my Kaspersky 2013 did the same!

Everyday I think about returning to Windows 7 , the best OS for sure!

Bob Donovan - KBOS

Alec - check back if you get it working. I've been at it all day and still no results.

Good luck

I have installed a trial version of another Antivirus, that will let me run my PC for 15 days without worries, by the end of the trial I expect Kaspersky to have released an update to make it work again!

Alexis Mefano

I half expected issues with legacy programs and Win8, which was one of the reasons I never upgraded, even though Alienware offered to give it to me for $15 (promo offer at the time of buying my machine).  There is a laundry list of other reasons I flat out refuse to upgrade, but a primary reason is that I have a multitude of programs, games, devices that I really don't want to mess around with updates, configs and the like.  I have a very stable Win7 system right now and I am very pleased with it.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I am not sure that there are any compelling reasons to 'upgrade' from Windows 7. Don't need touch screen interaction, don't like teletubby metro, what are the advantages for the PC user?

Ian R Tyldesley

I thought Win 8 might be a little lighter in overhead - and overall, it's running very well with FSX.  But now - this 8.1 is a disaster. I can't uninstall it and FSX is dead right before the weekend. Checking other forums, everyone is in the same spot as me with FSX.  My fault for installing an untested BETA.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

I thought Win 8 might be a little lighter in overhead - and overall, it's running very well with FSX.  But now - this 8.1 is a disaster. I can't uninstall it and FSX is dead right before the weekend. Checking other forums, everyone is in the same spot as me with FSX.  My fault for installing an untested BETA.

Never put a beta OS on your main box. I learned this years ago... Create a VM to play with or have a junk machine around to testing things on. Rebuilding everything sucks. It would be funny if FS9 ran without issue.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Yep, its a beta, these things happen. There's a reason one don't install betas on mainopssystems. That being said, Win 7 is still FSX best friend! Have Win 8 on 3 other systems and they work flawlessly! FSX and disconnecting joysticks still sticks me to 7...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.