Sign in to follow this  
HugoStiglitz

Your opinion on this tweak?

Hello everyone! Hope everyone is going well and is exited for the pmdg 777! So I decided that I have to much stuff on my simulator and that I should install a clean copy with minimal addons. So I reinstalled the sim, ORBX England and Wales, France VFR, and Germany VFR along with some airports. Also, the only aircraft I installed was the coolsky DC9 (Great plane!!!!).

I wanted to do some FPS testing so I took the mighty DC9 to EGKK (Gatwick, default airport) and did a flight around the airport with ORBX scenery. My first test was with  "Bojote's automated FSX Tweaking & Tuning Service" and i'm keeping all the tweaks except for the Buffer pools. I first changed it to poolsize=0 while using an external FPS limiter set to 30. (I have an AMD Radeon 6870 1 GB FYI). My FPS on the RWY with the DC9 was an average of 22, when I took off it was i think 25 and when I was landing it was between 19-24.

My next test was to delete the buffer pools section and run the game from the normal launcher (non limited FPS). When I got on the runway I set the exact same settings as before and I have 20-21 FPS, when taking off I had about 24-25 and when I was in the air it was between 29-40, and landing it was 18-23. 

P.S. Im not using Fiber Frame Fraction because it's said that with multi cor CPU's (I have i5 2500K @ 4.4 ghz with 4 cores), it wont effect anything.

I was wondering if anybody had an opinion weather I should keep buffer pools or not, because it's said that with an external limiter you can get blurries. Also, if you have any tweaks to give my to improve performance and so, then please share!! Thanks! 

Don't use external limiters: they may result in blurries. Use the ingame limiter at 30 combined with the nVidia Inspector 1/2 Vsync option. I do use Bufferpools=0. It's the best tweak out there. And the only one I use. You will find that everyone has a different opinion about this all, though... so in the end you simply have to test and find out what works best for YOU! ;)

http://forum.avsim.net/files/file/1-fsx-hardware-software-guide/

Well I cant use the nvidia inspector since i have AMD. Whenever I tried using the internal limiter I was getting a lot of stutter and it didnt seem smooth. But ill try it again ;).

I would recommend you to keep using the FPS limiter as you have AMD card like I do. 

The internal limiter might be better for Nvidia, however at least on my system with AMD Radeon 6990 external limiter has worked by far the best. Internal limited caused by FPS to drop by 5 and after a long flight it took ages for textures to load while with external limited @ 30fps & FPS set to unlimited in FSX things work just perfectly. 

You need to lower FFTF to .15 or even .10. Whoever told you it doesn't do anything is wrong, that's only true if you are set at unlimited frames.

It helps balance the BP=0 tweak with the internal limiter and it will absolutely give higher FPS.

And yes, use the internal limiter.

Really you should just use whatever setting seems to give you better performance, rest doesn't matter.

For me the internal limiter did absolutely no good, just lowered FPS and made textures load way slower. 

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions, however I just found the perfect balance for performance. Using the external limiter with BF=0 and the tweaks I stated above+ the ATI card configuration tool on avsim, im able to get 24FPS with the DC9 on the runway at gatwick and when I take off i get 30+FPS using orbx EU scenery! 

I would very highly recommend you to change your username to something else tho, I imagine that you'll get a ton of spam mails due to the fact that your username is the same as your email address (or so I assume)

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Ya I know, when I was changing it I accidentally changed it to my email (I was VERY tired) so now I cant change it for the next 90 days I would say. I tried searching for some admin emails to contact them however I cant find any.

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions, however I just found the perfect balance for performance. Using the external limiter with BF=0 and the tweaks I stated above+ the ATI card configuration tool on avsim, im able to get 24FPS with the DC9 on the runway at gatwick and when I take off i get 30+FPS using orbx EU scenery! 

Do you have a link for the ATI card config tool you mentioned?

Ya I know, when I was changing it I accidentally changed it to my email (I was VERY tired) so now I cant change it for the next 90 days I would say. I tried searching for some admin emails to contact them however I cant find any.

Make a post about it in this forum -> http://forum.avsim.net/forum/312-help-using-the-avsim-forums/ and I'm sure an admin will help you out as soon as they got time

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Do you have a link for the ATI card config tool you mentioned?

Sure! Here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/404430-optimal-settings-for-ati-users-with-fsx-great-results/       Plus, I added a FFTF line in the CFG file (Thanks to Bonchie), however, i put set it as .40 for faster texture loading and didn't seem to get performance issues with the settings I had ;) .

Make a post about it in this forum -> http://forum.avsim.net/forum/312-help-using-the-avsim-forums/ and I'm sure an admin will help you out as soon as they got time

Thanks! I'll try that out!

Don't use external limiters: they may result in blurries. Use the in game limiter at 30 combined with the nVidia Inspector 1/2 Vsync option.

I have to disagree with this in some cases. This works fine so long as your actual frame rate is higher then your locked frame rate setting. If it is lower, you will actually lose a few frames due to a FSX bug in the in-game limiter. This affects me because I only have an E6850 C2D system at 3GHZ. When set to unlimited those frames are restored. For this reason I use the NI 1/2 VSync option as you state, with it's own limiter set to 30FPS. With this option I regain those frames up to the limiter setting. I also don't notice any blurry problems as well.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

There is no 'right' answer here..... just opinions.

Although people like Jeroen say "don't use external limiters", with my own experience (and an ATI video card), I get positively better, smooter results using an external limiter (I use antilag) than without.

I also use PoolSize=0 as my card has 2GB DDR5 VRAM so coped with it fine.