Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hangar

FS Global Real Weather: I'm Having an Issue with 10sm Visibility

I noticed that while using metars that denote a "10sm" visibility that I will never see anything greater than 10 miles vis inside the sim when below the lowest layer of clouds.

Now many here know that 10sm in a metar simply means that the vis should be 10sm or greater (so many times you should see 20, 30 or even more miles vis even though the metar says 10sm). But no matter what locations I test this in FSGRW, as long as the metar says 10sm for that location I will always have what appears to be a dismal grey looking visibility of about 10sm out my front window on short final.

I already posted on their forum and notified FSGRW support with screenshots...just have not received a response as of yet to let me know if they know why this is happening to me.

So I thought I'd ask here...can any users of this weather app confirm they are getting MORE than 10 miles vis on final approach at times when the metar being used says "10sm"?

**EDIT** - well that didn't take too long,support just got back to me and says

"our source data seems to be wrong (or I have a bug in the interpretation code). I'll provide a proper fix in the next update."

Good to know it's not my own doing and that they will try to fix it...but that being said I just paid for a weather addon that won't give me anything more than 10 miles visibility, hmf  :unsure:

this was the same problem with Open Clouds

Glenn

Ryzen 3700X, X570 Pro Wifi, 32GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia Titan Xp "Galactic Empire", RM750x PSU, H700 case, 2x NVMe M2 SSD, 1x SATA SSD

It probably is a simple matter of changing the logic.

Maybe he coded it so that when it reads 9999 it gives you 10 miles or more but when it reads a particular number it gives you exactly that visibility.

Great to hear he is looking into it, but the variables can make it difficult.

Will Reynolds

Flight Sim Addict

Posted Image

For anyone viewing this thread, just wanted to let you all know that the author has already resolved this issue and visibility for metars denoting 10sm are now being calculated in a more realistic manner.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

21%
    $5,415.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now