Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

First Carenado Purchase. A little dissapointed.

Hi guys,

I normally fly jetliners but recently after taking the default Cessna out for some vfr and sightseeing, I'm beginning to enjoy flying these small props.  I'm having a blast flying at 1000ft over cities and enjoying the view.

Looking to improve on the default Cessna, I decided to try the Carenado based on all the great things I've heard people say about them in the forums.

As I'm new to props, I naturally went for the C172N SkyhawkII.  The exterior model, gauges, sound, etc are so much better than the default planes.  I haven't flown her yet.  Will do it after this post.  So far I've only taken a look at it under different times of day/night, and flicking a few switches while on the ground.

Here's what I'm not happy about...  The windows in the VC are too dark.  Everything outside looks washed out and murky.  I've never been inside a C172, but I doubt the windows are that dark.

At dusk/night, the VC lighting seems to be lit with flood lighting and I can't have panel lights only.

There is no strobe light!  The button is on the panel, but you can't activate it.

Since Carenado planes are not too expensive, I'm going to give it one more shot and purchase the B58 Baron tomorrow.  For those who already own this one, is there any problems or surprises?  It's their newest release so I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks graphically.  I see that the Baron comes with a panel for controlling window transparency, so I'm happy about that.

I've also heard people say Carenado found a way to make VC's go beyond what was ever intended for FS9 (I'm assuming polygon count and texture quality?).  Is this true?  If so, can someone list some of the models that are top notch?

Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow with a different Carenado plane.

Carenado planes are modelled on real world planes.  So if the C172 has the strobes switch but no strobes, chances are that is how the real aircraft is.  Perhaps the switch was installed by someone who never intended to have strobe lights fitted, or perhaps it is faulty in real life, only Carenado knows.  but they are well known for not adding things to their aircraft that aren't there in the aircraft they use for modelling.  After all, if you book an aircraft at your local airport and it doesn't have an autopilot, you can't just flick a switch and have one magically appear can you?

I just took another look.  The panel where the strobe light switch is suppose to be is there but the button is not installed.

I know they were going for accuracy, but isn't it mandatory for all airplanes to have strobe lights?

Flying VFR does not require strobes as far as I know. Some C172's may be certified for night flying, others are not.

Graeme Butler

My bad, I just checked the product description and it didn't list strobe lights.  Only nav, landing, beacon.

I was under the assumption that all airplanes had to be equipped with strobe lights.

Well, between my first post and this one, I had the chance to fly it using real weather (ASE) and it's really nice.  The flight dynamics is great.  Together with the texture quality, sound, and overall great feel, I can now look past the tinted windows.  A clearer window would be better but I'll have to get their newer model for that.  I'm really enjoying this plane and looking forward to trying another one of their planes tomorrow.

To be honest save your money and wait for the new A2A Accusim Cessna, if its half as good as their other Accusim aircraft it will blow everything else out the water, should be out in a couple of weeks

I doubt A2A will be making a FS9 version...

Good to hear you're happy with it now. It's a nice little plane.

Mike

You might want to look at the Flight1 C172. I've flown that for years and it's great. You can fly in a stable or spinnable config as well as change passenger loads and vision through the VC is crystal clear. Not knocking Carenado, as I own a few of their planes,  but I really like the Flight1 Cessna.

Cessnas are absolutely terrific for sightseeing.  I had a little addiction to flying them in the RW...I found Warriors and Archers (low wing) to be amazingly boring.  I have their C182 with a Bernt Stolle modification and it is wonderful.  Even better, the C337 which has his FDE right out of the box.  Not sure about their C172 but the C337 has a dialog box so that you can remove the glass.  Since FSX is pretty dark already it seems to make it better.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You might want to look at the Flight1 C172

I agree but the OP has already purchased the Carenado version and unlikely to buy another

Gregg, I don't think Bernt's magic has been applied to the FS9 products. I could be wrong though.

(Default C172 - Real Air Upgrade - Icarus HD Paint Job) - - - is my favorite C172 for FS9... It's a good combination and free... I did fully upgrade the panel with Reality XP instrumentation as well - though... I tried the Flight 1 version and it's sat pretty much idle on my machine ever since... Best small Ga for FS9 are still the Dreamfleet - Baron - Bonanza - Archer - and Dakota in my book... My RW experience is just the opposite from Gregg's - I learned in a high wing - once I tried a low wing - lost any interest in ever going back... The C172's I flew seemed very kite like and at the whim of every little breeze on a gusty crosswind landing - the low wing I fly seems more like a little airliner and tracks straight and true in similar conditions... The low wing also allows you to fly a very steep deck angle on final without accelerating - it almost seems to just hang on it's flaps - the C172 you need to keep more level to prevent acceleration and just fly slower to increase your rate of decent... Just goes to show - High or Low - it's just a matter of personal preference...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Don't be disappointed. Cessna MSFS simulation is often associated with Carenado. As for the panel, there's a black panel replacement for the Skyhawk somewhere out there, do a search, and your next purchase (B58) will be a lot better than your first one :)

I didn't know Stolle made FDE enhancement for 182, thought it is only 185 (and several others but not 182).

Just peeked A2A's facebook page and this weekend the team is busy finalizing their upcoming 172, and yes it is for FSX only.

Scott, Nice panel in your Beech!

I assume it did not come that way from the factory..

Bert