Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

First Carenado Purchase. A little dissapointed.

Hi Bert,

Thanks... LOL - yeah - I don't think many of the instruments were available in 1982... A Dentist owned it previously and I guess he had the spare cash to dump into the panel - I'm sure he didn't get a good return on his investment... I consider myself pretty fortunate - I've never seen a STEC-65 with altitude preselect in an aircraft of this class before... I wasn't even in the market for a plane - just happened to look at this one on a whim - the shock and awe of how nice it was - made it an offer I couldn't pass up...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks for the help, guys!

I apologize if my first post seemed a little harsh on Carenado. I didn't know about the strobe lights. It was mostly the tinted windows that I wasn't happy with but after my first flight with it, I can look past the dark windows. It's my first time with GA and I'm still learning.

I have flown the default Cessnas quite a bit, but boy, it's nothing like the Carenado. The Carenado has a much better feel to it. I really dig the VC as well, especially when the sun is directly behind me and the panel gets bright.

I'm tired now, as I stayed up a little longer than usual just flying around and doing touch and go's lol.

I will keep the Flight1 and Dreamfleet suggestions in mind. At the moment I'm going for eye candy and I want to support Carenado for their continuous FS9 support. I will take a look at the Flight1 and Dreamfleet later on as well. GA aircrafts are priced quite nicely and I think I'm going to end up with A LOT of them lol. After looking at screens of the Baron's exterior model and VC, I'm drooling. Getting this as soon as I get home from work tonight along with Fly Tampa's St. Maarten complete package so I can go back and forth on short flights from St. Maarten to St. Bart's and Saba. Should be excellent for practicing my landing.

I never put much thought with the whole high and low wing. I guess I'll find out tonight as the Baron is a low wing. The only downside with low wing I can think of when it comes to sightseeing is that the wings/and/or engines tend to get in the way and you have to do a slight left turn to get nice clear views of the scenery.

I never knew I would enjoy GA this much lol. I have a feeling my DC-10 and MD-11 are going to be parked in the hangar for a while lol.

If youre running a 64 bit operating system, don't buy the RXP-equipped Dreamfleet planes.The avionics don't work in 64 bit! After flying Carenado, you may also be disappointed by the significantly lower resolution of the Dreamfleet VCs. As a Windows 7 64 bit user, I prefer the Carenado models with the Dreamfleet dynamiscs...

If youre running a 64 bit operating system, don't buy the RXP-equipped Dreamfleet planes.The avionics don't work in 64 bit! After flying Carenado, you may also be disappointed by the significantly lower resolution of the Dreamfleet VCs. As a Windows 7 64 bit user, I prefer the Carenado models with the Dreamfleet dynamiscs...

That's interesting - is it a Dreamfleet thing? I'm running FSX, Win 7/64-bit and the RXP in my RealAir and Carenado products seems to work fine...

Tom McDonald

It's a generational thing. The Dreamfleet products use an older version of the RXP gauges that does not work with 64 bit OS. Your second generation RXP gauges have been reprogrammed to work with 64 bit OS. If you already own the RXP gauges, that sort of doubles the lack of need to pay the extra bit for the RXP versions.

and remember what I said about low-res vc textures! The VCs are not bad, but they do look dated.

Thank you Ematheson. I am running Win 7/64bit.

I got the Baron last night. WOW! The quality is superb. I never thought FS9 can pull off this type of graphics. I mean, everything from the VC to the exterior model looks so realistic. I will be buying more Carenado planes for sure!

The B58 is more difficult to fly than the C172. Coming from jetliners, sometimes I forget just how sensitive the controls are on these smaller props. Also, the increased speed/power makes it more challenging than the 172. I love it.

Just a question for those flying the B58... In general, what speed are you using for take off, approach and landing?

It's not listed in the provided instructions/performance sheets. For V-speeds it said to look for it in the FS9 Learning Center. Well, I can't find it.

So far I'm rotating just after 90kias, approach around 100kias and I'm landing between 100 and 90kias. Is this good enough?

I see that there are two indicators on the IAS display, one blue and the other red. One is at 90kias and the other at 100kias. I'm assuming they're approach and take off speeds that are automatically calculated? Which one is which?

Thanks

Google - baron b58 take off speeds - you will find a checklist download with all the info.

Echofox

My only complaint with the Baron is that it is not compatible with paints for the FSX version - unlike their other FSX conversions, they had to remap the exterior pretty heavily to make it compatible with FS9. I do like repaints, though - and there are so many good repaints for the Carenado planes it is hard to know when to stop!

Just remembered, here in Avsim Library, Werner Shott's - Beech Baron 58 checklist - plus all his other great checklists.  fs9b58.zip.

Echofox

+1

A2A + DX10 make the upgrade to FSX more than worth while!!

+1

A2A + DX10 make the upgrade to FSX more than worth while!!

Eh, I don't think so.  It would take A LOT more than that to make me go back to FSX.

Strobe lights are NOT just for flying at night  ...

Strobe lights

High-intensity strobe lights that flash a white-colored light are located on each wingtip. Most smaller planes are only equipped with one of these strobes near the leading edge just behind the red or green navigation light. Larger airliners may be equipped with an additional strobe at the trailing edge as well. These flashing lights are very bright and intended to attract attention during flight. They are sometimes also used on the runway and during taxi to make the plane more conspicuous.

Some smaller planes may have only one strobe light on the tail and others may have none on the wing tips and one on the fuselage underneath the plane and one on the tail.

The placement is determined based upon the field of coverage it provides from that position. They cannot "impair the flight crewmembers' vision or detract from the conspicuity of the position lights," according to FAA Part 23 Airworthiness Standards.

--------------------------------

The following is sourced from FAA written exams, the FAR and the AIM.  Most of these lights are required to be operable and if not, the aircraft is not legal for flight.  This includes the beacon (rotating or red strobe), anti-collision strobes (night flight if aircraft certified after 1971 and day flight if aircraft is certified after 1996), position lights (for all night flight), and landing light (if flight is for hire).  For your preflight considerations, you should ensure that all lights are operating properly prior to flight.

Phase of Flight
    Lights in use
Engines Running
    Aircraft Beacon On
Evening, Sunset to Sunrise
    Position Lighting On + other lighting
Taxi
    All exterior lighting ON except position lights during day
Exception: Strobe lights off at night so as not to blind other pilots
Position & Hold
Takeoff, Landing   
Climb out / Descent
Cruise Flight
    Strobes ON + Landing and/or Taxi Light ON*

* This is not a popular position but here's my evidence that you should use a Landing Light ON at all times.  FAA Bird Strike Study cites 80% less bird strikes, NTSB Midair Collision Study cites 37% less midair collisions and FAA Operation "Lights On" requires landing and/or taxi light ON during cruise flight. FBOs will not teach this as this chews up landing lights at a cost of about $50 a bulb. 
I always fly with a landing light on to enhance my aircraft's visibility in cruise flight.  I recommend you do it also. 

Eh, I don't think so. It would take A LOT more than that to make me go back to FSX.

As far as I'm aware there is nothing with the accuracy & fidelity of A2A's aircraft currently available in either XPX or P3D.

When there is, I'll consider changing platforms - until then, FSX with A2A, DX10, & SweetFX, plus Orbx's Alaska scenery keep me in the air.

Each to their own ... ... ...

As far as I'm aware there is nothing with the accuracy & fidelity of A2A's aircraft currently available in either XPX or P3D.

When there is, I'll consider changing platforms - until then, FSX with A2A, DX10, & SweetFX, plus Orbx's Alaska scenery keep me in the air.

Each to their own ... ... ...

This is an FS9 forum :rolleyes: .