Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

Kai Tak

Are there any decent freeware Kai Tak addons for FS9 that represent the IGS landing. I am not too worried about how good the airport looks just if the checkerboard approach is there so I can have fun trying that famous approach.Thanks in advance

Two. One by Thomas Kwong, for FS2000 which works just fine in FS2004; one by Roger Mole, for FS2004. Then there's one by payware people .... Ultimate Hong Kong. And maybe another payware version, by Samsoft ... although I think they haven't updated their FS2002 edition. I'm not sure .... they never respond to emails.Click on my banner, below, for more on Kai Tak.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Re Samsoft: You then might find interesting their email dated Sep 19, 2004quote Hi !Yes, the HK scenery is under construction, this time we use most gmax technique to do it and we hope the frame rate is good. The HK scenery may contain the Kai Tak airport, but we want to focus on CLK airport rather than Kai Tak, and the CLK airport terminal will also have internal structure and environment, etc. It also includes Macau airport.It will be schuduled to finish on 2005 Januaray. --#####################################SamsoftWeb Site - http://www.samsoftpub.comEmail - webmaster@samsoftpub.com#####################################unquoteBest regardsPeter

Guest gasebah

Mark,allow me a personal question here.I always asked myself what kind of connection you have with HongKong and Cathay. I just came back from HongKong yesterday btw, and yes, I was flying Cathay :-).First I thought you might be located in HKG. But then I read your profile. State of NY isn't anywhere near, so?Alex

Guest gasebah

Great read, and great to have the opportunity and meet so many interesting people here in these forums, one of which I meanwhile even visited in the US.Thx fr the insight Mark.Alex

Thanks for the info Mark. I also read your bio, very interesting adventures. Thanks alot

Guest slingshot

Hello all!I've read a few threads about this topic and decided to reply to this one so I don't create another thread. I installed Roger Mole's excellent Kai Tak scenery but unfortunately it kills my framerates (from about 34 to about 8-10) and there is a lot of stuttering near the airport. Then I decided to just use the ILS file and the AFCAD from the package and the checkerboard from Roger Mole's previous Kai Tak package. The result was that the ILS worked but the runway lights are off (the taxiway lights are on however).I tried a few AFCAD files from other people which failed to work with the ILS. I also installed Thomas Kwong's excellent Kai Tak scenery for FS2000 but it also killed my framerates. So I'm kind of stomped at the moment.All I basically want is a working ILS and working runway lights so I could see at night. I don't really need the scenery since I prefer to run the FS smoothly at mid level details. At the moment, I could make things work with just the taxiway lights, but runway lights would make things a lot easier.Could anyone shed some light on the this problem I'm having? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!Thanks in advance!!Nicolas

Hi NicolasIf you download afcad_vhhx.zip you will at least get the runway lights with this afcad file. With the Afcad2 program you can easily add the ILS if you have the correct coordinates for LOC, DME and GP.In the scenery package from Roger Mole there are two bgl files named CHINAILS and CHINAMKB. Slip these two into your ...(Fs9)Addon sceneryScenery folder, then you have the ILS. I am not shure, but it looks like the ILS at VHHX in these files are slightly out of position. So if someone have the correct coordinates for LOC, DME and GP this is an easy task to do in Afcad.

Guest ponyboy

This request seems to come about every few weeks out here. Yes, I feel your pain. If there is one airport I want to see done, and done right, is Kai Tak. Here's some news I can add. I emailed Roger Mole a ways back and he said he has been too busy with his business to redo his version and has no plans to. Samsoft admits they don't plan on doing much (if anything), to Kai Tak in their next version so I would rule them out. I can say that I have been in talks with a very well known modeler who IS planning to do Kai Tak! So if all goes according to plan we should have something for 2005. However, we are thinking of a joint effort to help ease the burden a bit. So if you have some modeling skills and might be intersted in lending a hand, go to my site (www.MileHighProductions,ahost4free.com), and d/l the video "Project Nine Dragons" for more info.

Guest slingshot

Thanks for your replies!I managed to add runway lights but the ILS (the ILS file from Mr. Mole's package) was behaving a bit strangely prob due to the modified AFCAD. I think I'll try and modify the default VHHX AFCAD and I'm still looking for the coordinates for LOC, DME, and GP so I could put in the afcad but haven't had much success yet. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.As always, thanks in advance!!Nicolas

Under no circumstances, repeat: under no circumstances, buy anything from samsoft. Crappy, if any, tech support; mediocre products. I think this site is run by a bunch of 16 year old high school kids.ricardo

Guest slingshot

Well I made a rough ILS with the 12/31 runway. Test flown it using the NAV radio and DME and it works relatively well and should keep me busy for a while.Thanks again for all your replies!!Nicolas

Guest yarvelling

Ponyboy...I wish that I had the modelling skills, etc, needed 'cause I'd love to help you with your 9 Dragons project....Sadly however, I don't!I do want to wish you the all best though :) I, among the many others here, would dearly love to see a good, usable Kai Tak in FS9. Having lived in Kowloon as a child during the mid sixties, Kai Tak holds memories...watching in awe as airliners descended seemingly between the buildings as they made their final approach was an amazing sight!!My father recalls times during the mid-late fifties, when he was in the British army, and stationed at a small barracks just north of Kai Tak; he remembers seeing Chinese workers removing the top from neighbouring mountain peaks (Lion rock?) to allow for an easier approach (-this was pre the famous Checkerboard approach!) as the planes would swoop down over the peak and turn sharply left to hit the runway! Infact, if anyone was using the barracks firing-range at the time, they had to stop and wait until the plane was down and out of range, lest it accidentaly got shot!!