Sign in to follow this  
Kronzky

Bush Pilot's Racing League

The Bush Pilot's Racing League (BPRL) has just started its fourth race of the season, so if you like your flying "low and fast", and away from airports, you should check it out.

This month's race leaves Kodiak island (where the last race happened), and continues on at the souther tip of Alaska. It consists of five legs, and the overall length is about 225nm.

Four of the five stops are off-airport, so you have to be creative (and careful) when picking a landing spot. There are also altitude limitations in place, so finding a way through a mountain range can be a bit of a challenge.

But even if you're just looking for a nice scenic ride in gorgeous environments (instead of bare-knuckle racing), feel free to join. The race got some unique routes and challenges, that should appeal to all kinds of bushpilots!

JimmyMemorial.jpg

Here are some of the spots that you'll have to land at:

TBWEMJN.jpg

h84cQh8.jpg

Further details about the race, and the signup forms are here: https://sites.google.com/site/fsebprl/jimmy-memorial-run

This is a time trial multiplayer race? I'm not sure I understand correctly how it's done.

Can I join with the An-2?

This is a time trial multiplayer race? I'm not sure I understand correctly how it's done.

Yes, it's basically a time trial.

You have one month to complete the five legs, and you can do it whenever you feel like it.

The results are validated via FS-Duenna (so you have to be online when flying), and in the end the one with the fastest time (adjusted for the aircraft handicaps) will win.

Can I join with the An-2?

Which particular model are you planning to use?

The rules for allowed aircraft are "Single engine fixed-wing aircraft with piston-driven, naturally aspirated engines. No turbochargers.". So, if your model matches that, you (or we, if it's a free model) do a test flight to determine the actual top speed (for the handicap system), and then you're ready to go.

It's the new payware Sibwings An-2. I'm thinking though.. how can it be fair to all if each one uses a slightly different aircraft?

There's some "complicated math" happening for the scoring, in order to level the playing field a bit. :wink:

It's not perfect, but it does move the different aircraft a bit closer together.

Basically, we determine how long it should take you theoretically, in your particular plane, to finish each leg. Then we compare that ideal time with what you actually achieved when flying it, and the difference is your "race time". So — the closer you get to the theoretical limit, the better your score will be.

As far as the An-2 is concerned, I guess if we go "by the book" it wouldn't qualify, as it's a radial engine. But you should come over to our forum, and we'll have a look. It's a unique plane, and definitely used in bush-flying, so we'll see if we can squeeze it in!

Awesome, now I understand how it's going down. I was sure you won't even reply to me hehe. :)

The August race is now open!

It's taking place in the backwoods of Vancouver, BC (so if you have Orbx's Pacific Northwest region this is an opportunity to put it to good use).

The track leads through some steep and scenic valleys, and has a few challenges thrown in for good measure. There are two off-airport landings, a "how low can you go" leg, and a STOL landing (both optional, and can improve your race times).

The route is set up to allow the use of sea-planes, and is about 150nm long (split into 5 segments).

https://sites.google.com/site/fsebprl/august-2013-race

hwwLnCG.jpg

a5giYvCl.jpg

Phj7yRUl.jpg