Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Is AVSIM site slow or is it my system?

Tom, just FYI - I do also see a similar delay to the folks above when I load the site. Most sites come up pretty much instantly on my connection, but Avsim sits for approximately 5 to 6 seconds before the page loads here.

Edit - it's the same whether I do www.avsim.com or forum.avsim.net too by the way.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Tom, just FYI - I do also see a similar delay to the folks above when I load the site. Most sites come up pretty much instantly on my connection, but Avsim sits for approximately 5 to 6 seconds before the page loads here.

Edit - it's the same whether I do www.avsim.com or forum.avsim.net too by the way.

Thanks Ryan. Okay, initial load up is slow. How about when you are in the system and going from forum to forum, as an example?

I get about a 15 sec delay from clicking a link to getting full page display.

Same time frame clicking back to original page.

Hello Tom, same lag here ...even clicking from forum to forum. :(

We have over 800 users online at the moment, and I am beginning to work up to a real lather over Tapatalk. For those who use it, don't be surprised if is disappears real quick.

And here is the same Pingplotter graph from my location, showing absolutely no issues. I don't know what to tell you...

Your trace shows that your connection to AVSIM takes a completely different route and, most importantly, passes through a different ingress point into the provider's network. That's why I stressed that the problem lies somewhere between the penultimate hop as seen from my neck of the woods (i.e. that AMS-IX BGP peer router at 195.69.145.37) and the AVSIM host.

As all of the network and server infrastructure between those two nodes (endpoints inclusive) appears to be maintained by one and the same entity (that's merely a halfway educated guess, though), they should be able to take a look at their network management stats and see if they're experiencing excessive packet loss along the way. Contacting the site's provider and forwarding them relevant Pingplotter data (and other evidence) would be a reasonable first step towards resolving this issue.

Clear as mud? :P

We have over 800 users online at the moment, and I am beginning to work up to a real lather over Tapatalk. For those who use it, don't be surprised if is disappears real quick.

If it's causing this much of an issue for you then I would understand you disabling it. For what it's worth, here in the UK I'm experiencing a 6 second delay from the initial HTTP GET request to any sort of response from the server. The page also seems to take around 8 seconds to know what to do with ipb_print.css.

Edit: In fact, I did some more diagnostics, and aside from the slow server response (going between 4 and 16 seconds), the slowest parts of the page by far are anything served from ads.avsim.net. Everything else exhibits a <1.0ms latency in the page load, yet anything from ads.avsim.net are all over 200-300ms. I hope this is of some use to you.

Are ANY of the Tapatalk files installed at 

http://forum.avsim.net/mobiquo/

Maybe a Tapatalk installation or configuration issue that occured recently ?

Are ANY of the Tapatalk files installed at 

http://forum.avsim.net/mobiquo/

Maybe a Tapatalk installation or configuration issue that occured recently ?

Nail on head, sir. The 'tapatalkdetect.js' problem file is actually called 'tapadetect.js' under that directory, so that would explain the missing file problem.

Mind downloading and installing a copy of PingPlotter (it's shareware), running a trace to forum.avsim.net using a trace interval of 1 second for about 10 minutes, and posting an image of the resulting trace here (using the "Save as image" option)? That way, it'd be fairly easy to deduce if we're similarly being affected by packet loss, or if the culprit should be sought elsewhere.

Mind downloading and installing a copy of PingPlotter (it's shareware), running a trace to forum.avsim.net using a trace interval of 1 second for about 10 minutes, and posting an image of the resulting trace here (using the "Save as image" option)? That way, it'd be fairly easy to deduce if we're similarly being affected by packet loss, or if the culprit should be sought elsewhere.

A traceroute/ping plot etc will only tell half the story.

I get nothing more than 100ms ping response from each hop here in the UK. However, it takes the forums around 20 seconds to load each page. You need to run a full 'record' of each page load in your browser to see what's happening. For me, it's taking 15 seconds for the AVSim servers to actually respond to a page request...it then only takes around 5 seconds for the page to actually load. This could probably be what most of the UK/Europe/Far East etc sees.

A traceroute/ping plot etc will only tell half the story.

I get nothing more than 100ms ping response from each hop here in the UK. However, it takes the forums around 20 seconds to load each page. You need to run a full 'record' of each page load in your browser to see what's happening. For me, it's taking 15 seconds for the AVSim servers to actually respond to a page request...it then only takes around 5 seconds for the page to actually load. This could probably be what most of the UK/Europe/Far East etc sees.

Exactly what I'm seeing here too. I've seen anywhere from 15-30 seconds for their server to actually react. So it's not just you over there, it's happening to me too here in Ohio.

EDIT: This post took 20 seconds to actually submit lol

Edited by FDX016 - Nick

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo