Sign in to follow this  
Guest AFACadet

Gamespy reviews Wings of Power

Guest progrmr

Sorry, but I have to question any package that comes with so many planes for only $30. Good addons cost much more to make. It ain't all about eye candy! I doubt the flight models are worth anything.I don't have it though so I may be wrong.

I've got Firepower the CFS3 version of this add-on and love it. It took CFS3 out of the dust drawer and into a frequently used fun sim. If I'm gonna fly warbirds I want to shoot at stuff, have stuff shoot at me and always have the ability to just nuke'em!Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Programmer,Believe it - because it's true. Read the excerpts from reviews at the bottom of this post. Wings of Power is proof of what $30 can truly buy. These are all external shots of the included aircraft, but what really makes Wings of Power stand out are the highly detailed virtual cockpits and being able to fly them using the actual aircraft manuals. The gorgeous virtual cockpits represent just the very top layer of an amazing world beneath. Avro Lancaster B Mk. IIIlanc1.jpgFlying Fortress B17Fb17f.jpgFlying Fortress B17Gb17g.jpgAr234B2

Guest Expendable

I purchased this product just this week from my local GameStop store after hearing about this add-on for the last several weeks. I have only messed around with the included B-17's and the B-24J, but I am impressed with the product so far. They claim that the aircraft flight models are extremely realistic and can and should be flown using the procedures in the actual flight manuals. This appears to be true from what I can tell. There are a few things that aren't modelled because of limitations in FS2004, such as the operation of the intercoolers on the B-17.The included manual gives you plenty of detailed information on the operation of each aircraft and includes abbreviated checklists for each. This is enough for the casual pilot to get up and running. The same information is also provided in-game via the checklist screen, which is really nice. They do recommend that you obtain the actual flight manual for each of the aircraft for full realism. It would have been awesome if they had included the actual full checklists on the CD or something so that I would not have to go out and buy copies of the flight manual, but that's not that big of a deal. My dad has a copy of the B-17 flight manual, so I'll probably borrow that.In short, the aircraft that I have tried are beautifully and accurately modelled, and I believe that you really are getting a lot for your money at only $30. I highly recommend this add-on for WWII bomber buffs!

Guest AFACadet

For everyone worried about spending $30 for this amount of aircraft... DON'T.I have had an amazing time with this add-on, its been one of the best FS buys I've made since FS5.The virtural cockpits are amazing, the external models capture the shapes extremely well, the effects are awesome, the B-17 sound is one of the best FS sound packages I have EVER heard (not an overstatement) and the flight models are amazing.This is a steal at $30.The downsides I've had though are lower frame rates due to the complex models and huge textrues and the jet sounds are poor and they use defult flap sounds.I like flying extremely complex simulations that have (in this order) accurate flight model, accurate cockpit, and accurate sounds. This add-on fits the above in almost all respects.If you want to see more, check out the wings of power website at www.shockwaveproductions.com and look at the three videos. I had heard about the awesome flight models before, but it was the 100% accurate B-17 sounds that sold me. They are one of only a very small handfull of true, accurate, and correct radial engine sounds available.