Sign in to follow this  
kingboby

Pixelated Textures!

Hi All. I have a problem.

As seen in the (hopefully) attached screenshot, I am getting hugely fuzzy/pixelated/bad (how else can I describe them?) textures. This happens to the trees all the time and most of the ground when the land detail textures are on, compared to not as much when they are off.

I have been trying settings with all sorts of things including the graphics card and the in game settings but nothing seems to work. I have recently started with a clean install of FSX which would have cleared any other problems I may have had.

One other thing which I think is the problem, I got FSPS's Xtreme FSX PC editor to do stuff with the cfg but I cannot for the life of me find out which setting it is to remove these ghastly textures. Grr. My pc was running this stuff fine before.

In the screenshot you seen Orbx PNW with Orbx trees activated, you might see a bit of Fall City stuff and the default Cessna. 

Thanks,

Matt

EDIT. Pic now attached, see? I knew it would go wrong.

I have considered this some more, I do not think it has anything to do with FSPS Xtreme, only in the fact that it turned on the land detail textures that weren't on before, but should the grass in this screenshot be like concrete? is it actually showing the right thing?

It's still flickering on the trees considerably.

It's as if the sim is trying to render the land detail textures from 2000ft in the air at a 10nm radius.

Suggest you start with a clean fsx.cfg file (just rename the existing one as a backup)

and without any editor or tweaks.

Just set filtering to anisotropic and check anti-aliasing in FSX.

Also un-tweak your video card settings.

Then do another screenshot.

Bert

You might check to see if you have replaced the Detail.bmp file in the \Scenery\World\texture folder. Stock file date is July 26, 2006. Changing this can make certain features of the game look a little chunky.

Detail.bmp issue indeed.

Probably the detail.bmp you have installed (the one in your pic is certainly not the default FSX one) has not been mipmapped which can cause nasty visual effects.

www.antsairplanes.com

Hi all, I seem to have sorted the problem. Still not exactly sure what it was that was causing the trouble. I started with the clean cfg and did a couple of tweaks from kostas guide and transferred the AI to the graphic card, seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for all your responses,

Matt

I have my LOD_Radius set to 7.5 and went to the default Friday Harbor (I usually fly in photoscenery only) and saw the pixilated textures.  I'm thinking you had your FSX settings set too high causing this anomaly and, when you rebuilt your fsx.cfg  (a clean config), the LOD_Radius was changed back to the default and problem appeared to be solved. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That's exactly what FSX looks like if you have disabled all texture filtering and no antialiasing.