Sign in to follow this  
JL1976

Advice and opinions sought to finalize PC build.

Hello from down under,

I am seeking your opinions on my proposed build.

Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System Ships in 24hrs $165.00  

Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals In stock $149.00  

ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB In stock $849.00  

Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply In stock $269.00  

Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24x DVDRW OEM In stock $25.00  

ASUS Maximus VI Hero Motherboard Due 05/07/13 $299.00    

Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2400C10R 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 In stock $239.00  

Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1002FAEX In stock $99.00  

SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB SSD In stock $105.00 for OS  

Plextor PX-512M5P 512GB SSD In stock $419.00 for FSX  

Intel Core i7 4770K In stock $385.00  

Corsair Hydro Series H110 280mm CPU Cooler In stock $149.00  

NZXT Switch 810 Case White Due 25/07/13 $189.00

Should I consider a 3930k, or a Titan GPU?

Any feedback or ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers  

Should I consider...

No, not unless you just have the spare $$$ lying around. I don't think you'd see any added benefit for FSX. Play other games? Then the Titan might warrant further investigation. Otherwise, the specs listed should do a fine job.

Hello Meshman,

Thanks for your response.

The Titan was a consideration as I am likely to go multiple monitor and would like to run hi res and 4x SGSS. I'm sure the 780 will be up to the task.

Thanks again.

Hello Meshman,

Thanks for your response.

The Titan was a consideration as I am likely to go multiple monitor and would like to run hi res and 4x SGSS. I'm sure the 780 will be up to the task.

Thanks again.

3 screens + 4xSGSS is going to be a slideshow with enough clouds, even running a Titan. That's not to say that with that setup you're going to need all the GPU horsepower you can afford. The 780 is much better value than the Titan considering how close they are performance wise and current prices, but if money is not an issue and you want to run SGSS, even at 2x you're going to be GPU limited in 3 plus cloud layers, so a Titan would provide a little extra oomph

Hi Dazz,

Thank you for your input.

In your opinion would I be better off with one high quality monitor and just call it a day, rather than trying to push the envelope with multi screens?

Hi Dazz,

Thank you for your input.

In your opinion would I be better off with one high quality monitor and just call it a day, rather than trying to push the envelope with multi screens?

Goes down to personal preference. Multi monitor is great, no doubt about that. All I'm saying is that you'll need to make some compromises (antialiasing) because obviously the resolution is tripled. 4xSGSS means 4x as many pixels to render, so that's 12 (or 6 @ 2xSGSS) times the number of pixels to render compared to a typical single monitor + 8xS setup.

Titans / 780's are awesome, but they're not 6-12 times as fast as let's say a 760. Not even close. Increasing SGSS one notch takes 2-3 GPU generations to overcome the perf hit that comes with it. But there're plenty simmers here with 3 monitors and very happy with their setups even if they need to trade off a bit of IQ. Your call