Sign in to follow this  
Guest _patrol_

Ripple effect

Guest daveg4otu

Over the past year I've tried various water textures - some good - some not so good but one thing I've noticed with all of them - they "ripple" too fast. This was particularly noticeable tonight as I was crossing the Bristol Channel - moonlight reflected nicely on the water - but rippling away far too quickly.Is there any way that the ripple speed could be slowed down?Dave

Guest _patrol_

DaveDo you also have the problem of surf comming up the beach to rapidly? If so there is a fix for this that might slow down the ripples also. If you don't have the surf problem then I have no idea what to do.David

Guest daveg4otu

OK David - point me at the fix - I'll give it a try.Dave

Hi Dave,I copied this a few weeks back from a post in this forum:"The fix required for this wave speed up is in the texture folder of the effects folder on the original disc for fs9. It is named fx_swoosh also whilst there replace the file fx_swoosh2 and fx_falls. All three files are on the FS9 disc one.A third party scenery file has overwritten these files and because they were half the size made the waves faster and waterfalls spray transparent rectangles,Other posts and key words ie, Poodles on Heat,Black rectangles, waves etc.Thanks to Tim and Shep on Visual flight forum."Hope the advice helps sort it out.Mike

Guest daveg4otu

Don't think this is the answer -my waves(breakers/surf on shoreline ) are at normal speed anyway and altering them doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.Thanks anywayDave

Guest pbn

If you haven't tried it allready, you should have a look at a set from Peter Wilding. I don't see much ripple effect, if any, with that set. The filename is pwover15.zip. I got it at the "other" flightsim site, but it might be availible here as well. make sure you get the latest version, 1.5 or higher.CheersPeter

Guest daveg4otu

Thanks Peter - that seems to take care of the problem.Dave

Guest pbn

Glad to help. I just received Pacific Fighters an hour ago, now thats how water should look like. It looks great, the carrier sails forward moving in the swell - awesome. I had one t&g (not intentional), one overrun and one success full carrier landing sofar. This seems to be a great sim.Sorry for going of topic, just had to vent it.CheersPeter