Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

FS9.1 Update - A word to the wise

Guest laurie7j7g7_moose

the TrafficInfo.dll has not had any changes done to it, so the older version is still the most recent.there are 33 default modules total. i tend to just back them up & my FSUIPC.inii would not recommend setting the DLL's to read-only, its never wise to start altering the attributes of such files.

Guest jaapverduijn

Mainly to avoid a vicious circle. Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Hi,If you check your Backup folder in FS9 root you will find that TrafficInfo.dll is not present. I can only assume that the updater did not modify this file and so there was no requirement to create a backup for use in the event of a reinstall.Mike

Hi Robbie,http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...9.1_english.aspExtract: "How to Uninstall the UpdateIf you want to uninstall the update, follow these steps. Go to the Flight Simulator root directory. Double-click the FS9UpdateUninstall.exe icon. Delete the BACKUP folder. Note: After uninstalling the Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (Update) you will need to delete the BACKUP folder, as it is not removed by the uninstaller program."Assuming you restore all the default .dll files in the Modules folder from the relevant FS9 installation CD prior to running the 9.1 update, then this will ensure that these and only these files are backed up. Otherwise you are liable to end up with a mixture of default and modified (from 3rd party installs) .dlls which only serves to confuse the issue and may hinder the updater's progress. I have noted a few folk have commented about the inordinate length of time the updater has taken to complete its tasks. Maybe this is one of the reasons why. Better to start with a clean sheet prior to updating as MS themselves have in fact recommended. As I have mentioned, the updater takes only 3-4 mins to complete operations on my setup. Some others have observed even quicker times.Mike

I was planing on installing 9.1, but it sounds like a lot of pitfalls that guys like me with mediocure knowledge should not do, true or not?? I wanted to do the fix mentioned in the current issue of Computer Pilot re terrain resolution

There's nothing wrong with 9.1, it's ^%@$^$@%# addon makers that don't take care to only distribute their own files that are at fault.If you don't take care you can even end up with FS2000 files in your FS2004 installation because of that.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I did all that and now it tells me I cannot re-install the update!!