Sign in to follow this  
starflight

"WED Contest - Amazing Prize"

Copy/pasted from nicolas' post on the Org. Win this contest, you get to ask Austin to implement a (realistic/reasonable) feature YOU want!

They say rules may be changed/refined especially in the next few days. I won't post their updates here, so I've changed their text slightly to link to the original post.

-------------

Here is an amazing contest for scenery designers. The winner will receive a prize never awarded before in the history of X-Plane

The winner of the contest will be able to decide which feature Austin will add in a future revision of X-Plane.

Yes you read this correctly, name your feature and Austin will do it for you!

Rules of the contest  - Airports designed with WED

• You need to create several X-Plane airports with the default tools and objects provided by WED
  • Starts July 2nd. Ends August 31st 2013
  • No custom objects
  • Objects provided by the default X-Plane library only. No external library like  OpenseneryX , RUScenery or other
  • Orthophotos is not allowed for this contest
  • Upload your airports in the DM before August 31st  2013 - make sure to mention your scenery is for the contest
  • Respect the copyright rules of this site (do not copy the work of others)
  • Rules can be amended at any time - make sure you read [the original post] (if we make any change, it will most likely be in the next few days)
  • Airports must be as accurate as possible within what is possible to do with WED
  • No Class Bravo airport please (large international airports)
  • You need to upload at least 3 airports to qualify (or more)
  • The winner will be the one with the best 3 airports

Prize: Name your feature in X-Plane 10

The winner will give Austin the feature he would like to see in X-Plane and it will be implemented in a future revision of X-Plane.

Note: the feature has to be realistic and reasonable. Austin will be the final judge as to what is reasonable.

Read Austin's comment below

About WED

http://developer.x-p...ls/worldeditor/

manual: http://www.x-plane.c...rt/manuals/wed/

Interesting contest. Cool idea.

Im not sure I know enough about WED to attempt something like this. Ive only used it to enhance some existing airports with Static parked planes. Maybe Ill practice a little with it.

Rob

Well I just started to mess around with WED and I thought it would be hard and complicated, it turned out to be a lot easier then I thought it would be. I have already done my local airport KMFE (McAllen TX) in just a few hours. Now I'm working on MMRX (Reynosa Intl, MX) this one is very close to my home town and next will work on KHRL (Harlingen TX) then KBRO (Brownsville, TX) and finally MMMA (Matamoros Intl MX).

Give it a try, its not as hard as some may think!

Carlos

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Prize: Name your feature in X-Plane 10
The winner will give Austin the feature he would like to see in X-Plane and it will be implemented in a future revision of X-Plane.

...and if the winner chooses a stupid feature that no one else wants, they'll get 40 lashes with a wet noodle.  :P

...and if the winner chooses a stupid feature that no one else wants, they'll get 40 lashes with a wet noodle.  :P

:lol:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:

Reminds, me of the book about building railroads I am reading build it fast and cheap worry about bugs later. Competition like this is good the land of barren airports will slowly go away.

Well I just started to mess around with WED and I thought it would be hard and complicated, it turned out to be a lot easier then I thought it would be. I have already done my local airport KMFE (McAllen TX) in just a few hours. Now I'm working on MMRX (Reynosa Intl, MX) this one is very close to my home town and next will work on KHRL (Harlingen TX) then KBRO (Brownsville, TX) and finally MMMA (Matamoros Intl MX).

Give it a try, its not as hard as some may think!

Carlos

Well, I had a look too and thought it looked forbidding... maybe I should revisit it :-)

You need to give WED some time to sink in when you first start. It takes a little bit of time to get the hang of things, but once you understand how things work and interact, you can really tear through a project.

Always start at a very small 1-runway airfield, and do a few to start learning the basics. Move on to a slightly larger 1-runway airport to see how the project starts growing with the addition on taxi signs and lines, interconnecting taxiways, and other elements. Finally, graduate to a larger  airport for a midsize community to get the full experience. Venture into huge international airports at your own risk. :)

I am curious what feature you guys (and girls) would request :Thinking:.

What makes you think that's a punishment...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Before I say this I will admit I have only tried an X-Plane Demo a long time ago and this is the reason I stayed with MSFS.

The biggest complaint i've heard about X-Plane and the main reason most people won't switch over from MSFS is no AI traffic. And as old as the X-Plane platform is now that should've already been implemented, so I don't believe that would be an unreasonable request.

If they added that one feature I believe X-Plane sales would skyrocket since MSFS is essentially dead now, and a lot of people would switch over.

There are already MSFS Payware developers making products for XP, aircraft and scenery, but beautiful airports just don't look right without traffic to populate them.

WED is definitely easy to use once you get the hang of it, I have a couple airports in the works KBOI, KOGD, and 42U. I encourage all xplane users to try it out. It becomes quite addicting and fun creating an airport to resemble the real ones.

The biggest complaint i've heard about X-Plane and the main reason most people won't switch over from MSFS is no AI traffic.

There is a payware AI add-on called World Traffice which this weekend will receive an update to include a 'random traffice generator' which will create appropriate traffic at each airport. If this works as the publisher claims, it will be a big game changer for many people and will bring the X-plane world to life.

Before I say this I will admit I have only tried an X-Plane Demo a long time ago and this is the reason I stayed with MSFS.

The biggest complaint i've heard about X-Plane and the main reason most people won't switch over from MSFS is no AI traffic. And as old as the X-Plane platform is now that should've already been implemented, so I don't believe that would be an unreasonable request.

If they added that one feature I believe X-Plane sales would skyrocket since MSFS is essentially dead now, and a lot of people would switch over.

There are already MSFS Payware developers making products for XP, aircraft and scenery, but beautiful airports just don't look right without traffic to populate them.

There is a new payware add-on called World Traffic (http://www.classicjetsims.com/WorldTraffic/) that's still very much in its infancy but looks promising.

Manage expectations. It's developed by a single person, so don't expect something like Ultimate Traffic or World of AI for MSFS.

A couple shortcomings at the moment include lack of random flight generator and limited civil aviation aircraft models. The former should be addressed in the next week or so, the latter will take more time to build a collection of compatible models.

My contribution to World Traffic so far is a ground/flight route package for Toronto Pearson International (CYYZ).