Sign in to follow this  
michal

Will anyone ever make a new FS?

What do you think? Will any company ever make a FS that will rival M$FS?WOW. Wouldn't that be neat.JimCYWG

I vividly recall there was a fellow on this forum who claimed he was going against MSFS with a competitive product. He was gathering his team, asking for general advice. He got ton of advice, folks were wishing him good luck, etc. He sounded 100% committed in delivering a much better flight simulation product in the same price range as MSFS. At least 2 years must have elapsed and we never heard from him again.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)

Guest Stratobat

"Will any company ever make a FS that will rival M$FS?"Maybe, you never know :-cool Regards,Stratobat

Guest Gdavis101

There is always X-Plane, as far as flight physics go I think it has FS beat.. But, graphically it doesn't really compare. I am happy with MS, they always deliver a fantastic product.. I remember the early days of Fly( was a good product,but had a lot of problems, or the old Sublogic titles for that matter.. Pro Pilot, eeew!In a way I am not looking forward to another MSFS title, Way too many addons for the current and they are always a pain to make work in the new..

>>In a way I am not looking forward to another MSFS title, Way>too many addons for the current and they are always a pain to>make work in the new..Hehe, you say that now, but wait until the previews come out. ;-) I agree that FS9 is a great sim, and I love the add-ons I have or will have soon. I just know that I thought 2002 was pretty neat, then all this GPS, enhanced weather, and other new things with beautiful pictures had me excited like a kid before Christmas, LOL. I guess it'll depend on what they add to it. 2000 to 2002 didn't seem to offer anything new that I recall (I started with 2002 but had played with 2000). Either way, I'll buy it, but FS9 will be on my computer for a long time no matter what.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest ThrottleUp

I really hope the successor to FS2004 is a really *new* sim. I say that because in my opinion FS98--->FS2004 has felt like a series of upgrades. Im not dissin the hard work put in by MS but I really wish they had modernized *all* of the sim instead of just a bit of it. For example the sky & clouds in FS2004 look fantastic - but apart from autogen sprouting rectangular blocks and trees the landscape *still* feels and looks like FS2000. And they *still* used the old 737-400. I wouldnt have minded paying more for the sim if they had thrown in some Airbuses or a NG737 with solid panels. We see so many brilliant freeware & payware planes out there from PMDG, Open Sky, MelJet, Project Fokker & Simtech...I hope MS is taking notice and puts airplanes like that in FS2006 or whatever.And I hope they ditch the awful-looking bitmapped paintjobs and use GMAX like I see in all the freeware planes....whoaaaa doesnt the Open Sky A340 look sweeet!Ok Im done http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/lynx/bluetongue.gif

Guest oyvindhansen

>I really hope the successor to FS2004 is a really *new* sim.I don't. Rewriting from scratch has the effect of wiping out all the little tweaks that 'lubricates' any mature program. It'll take many years to make the first version, and then a couple of versions to iron out bugs and add polish - look at Fly!, it would probably have taken a Fly!3 to make it into the product that it was meant to be in the first place. Also old addons will probably not work anymore and addon developers would have to learn a whole new system. -

The last team that tried it was the TRI Fly! team... they did not survive commercially and their two releases put their users through a roller coaster ride of patches.. but at the same time, they introduced better systems, graphics, ATC, and better scenery. Microsoft certainly paid attention and took many ideas from the Fly! title and included them in their next releases.Every time a new team emerges, they raise the bar, and everyone gains!I personally think that Microsoft has done a great job of taking the original Sublogic package and upgrading it again and again to the level it is at today! It may not be perfect, but with add-on mesh scenery and add-on airplanes it sure is a joy to fly!! I, for one, cannot wait to see what FS10 may have to offer... if the past is a guide, it will be a headache for a while as we sort out which add-ons work, and which ones do not, but after that it will likely replace FS9 on all of our harddrives!

Bert

Well X-plane do in many ways surpass FS 2004 while in others being way behind.But really there is combat flight sims that is much much better than FS 2004 so I think they will instead of just patch their old versions try finding something new to make it better.What they definiatly need is a totally revamped graphics and flight physics engine.

Guest ThrottleUp

Well I dont know...with advances in computing power I think the possibilities are limitless.I mean...look at the FPS genre...new titles being cranked out all the time with ever-increasing graphics sophistication and artificial intelligence.I know that the development parameters of an FPS and a flight sim must be very different so you probably coundnt compare them anyway - but Im just noting the fact that Im playing games like Far Cry & Splinter Cell and the mind-blowing landscapes, vehicle animations & AI make me wonder why I dont see that sort of thing in MSFS.I agree with Oyvindhansen when he mentions that a new prog will wipe out all the tweaks but if MSFS decide not to pursue a brand new sim then I really hope they do some sorting out :)Because I dont want to buy FS10 with the same old planes, dodgy bitmapped fuselages, tired terrain & water tiles!The Fly! team did a commendable job...their panels and graphics were wicked.I aint bashing FS2004, I play it for hours and hours on the weekends and I never get bored. But as customers who throw our hard-earned money at giants like Microsoft we should indulge in constructive criticism.:)

One day maybe there'll be a compeditor to MSFS again. The late 90's and early 00's were a "golden age" for civilian flightsims - we had Pro Pilot, Fly, Flight Unlimited and X-Plane...now we only have X-Plane.I think it was thanks to those sims that MS were forced to do some major upgrades to their sim. I mean, FS2000 was really ages behind Fly or Flight Unlimited which featured better weather, better scenery and real-time AI and ATC. X-Plane is soon comming out in version 8.0 though which is supposed to feature a completely new scenery system.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Kilstorm

I personally would like for FS to take on the way that MS does its OS. Design the sim to allow updates that improve the sim like how they release Service Packs. Then every 4 or 6 years they can release a completely new sim that offers major changes. I'm not saying to provide the updates for free-they would cost normal price, just allow the user to upgrade the sim without starting from new. I would just like to see a root program so that if I buy an addon I will be able to use it for six years or so without having reinstall it or not be able to use it till a patch is released. It could be done its just a matter of taking a new approach to how new release are made.

Guest ThrottleUp

I downloaded and tried out the X-Plane trial. Its impressive but the scenery aint hot at all and the panels...well all the jet airliners seem to share a base panel that looks identical so you dont get that "Im in a different airplane" feel that you get with MSFS.What I really liked about it was that you could fly the Space Shuttle re-entry and fly on Mars and all that!But I got bored fast and within 10 miutes of downloading it I uninstalled.For those on here who wanna try the demo be aware it kills the joystick after 6 minutes!

Guest BOPrey

>I personally would like for FS to take on the way that MS>does its OS. Design the sim to allow updates that improve the>sim like how they release Service Packs. Then every 4 or 6>years they can release a completely new sim that offers major>changes. >Make that 10-15 years. Just take a look how MS OS came to what it is now.16bit MS DOS 198132bit MS NT 1992and we have not seen any thing completely, I mean completely, new from MS ever since.