Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Cade

MD-11 Crashes on selecting SID or STAR

This   has happened  to a few of  us in here using the fmc  imput,  what  caused me to get  a ctd  was imputing  a  destination   airport in, what solved it  for  me  was simply using  the  repair option using the md-11 installer

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Don't  think there was  a need to re install fsx  but if  you didn't  have much  to re install than good luck to you

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

<p>There is a CTD related to waypoint sequencing in the STAR/missed approach phase. The check to see if you will experience it is to press PERF and see which page it jumps to. If it goes to DES it will CTD. If it goes to CLB, CTD averted. Play with the waypoints (butr carefully) until PERF is correct. Playing with the waypoints when PERF is in DES mode during approach can trigger the CTD as well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think I found the most reliable way to avoid CTD was to do a DIR TO the current waypoint, then check PERF. I will test and report back - I want to do a trans-oceanic shortly.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Best regards,</p>

<p>Robin.</p>

Robin,

the CTD has to do with waypoints selection and the current phase the fms is in, but not in the way you described. 

Here is the solution: 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/400619-ctd-using-the-pmdg-md-11/

Hi,

this is a known bug. It occurs every time T/D comes before T/C or when you are trying to go to from the FMC CLB directly to the FMC DES phase without CRZ phase vice versa.

Just make sure that the cruise phase is activated properly at any flight. This also includes DIR TO selections of waypoints in CLB phase, when the next one is in DES phase.

The very short or non existing CRZ phase makes this also more likeley to happen when ARR Airport is the same as DEP Airport, as there is not much distance left for the CRZ phase. Just add some additional wpts even if they are not needed and skipped later. Just to make sure the FMC transfers to CRZ phase. If not do this manually by setting a lower CRZ alt into the FMC.

Jan-Paul

Jan-Paul

Took some figuring out but I remembered it was related to CLB/CRZ/DES phase.

Nicely explained and thanks for finding a description of the exact cause. I knew that ensuring PERF page was in CRZ avoided the crash most times, but I was not aware of the CLB/DES issue.

What about CRZ to CLB?????? I found CTD most likely at 3000 ft, less at 6000 ft. I also found a few times the INIT page would reset to FL100 for cruise when 3000 ft was previously entered. Note that these flights involved same dept/dest.

There is another issue with ALTN airport. I guess this is related to the CLB/CRZ/DES switching? Any hints on how to detect this crash before it occurs? Is there a particular pattern of altitudes to be looking for in the FPLN page?

Maybe using this info we can create the definitive "how-to" on avoiding CTD with the MD-11???

I shall do some more test flying!

Best regards,

Robin.

What about CRZ to CLB?????? I found CTD most likely at 3000 ft, less at 6000 ft. I also found a few times the INIT page would reset to FL100 for cruise when 3000 ft was previously entered. Note that these flights involved same dept/dest.

The reason for the crashes at same dept/dest, is that T/D can appear before reaching T/C. That case leads to a 100% crash as soon the A/C passes T/D and it is stiil in CLB Phase.

At same dept/dest it is very important to have enough waypoints available to allow proper transfer into CRZ phase. Its irrelevant if those additional waypoints are acutally used or skipped later. They only are there to support the FMS Phase switching. 

Generally the crash happens as soon one phase is left out e.g. CLB dct DES vv without CRZ. This is the reason why the crashes happen that often with same dept/dest.

Jan-Paul