Sign in to follow this  
maukro_1990

Want the most realistic vc view. WideViewAspect= True or False?

i dont want to go off topic,but i have a question:

if i use TrackIR,do i have to have many monitors?or one is sufficient?

I'm sorry,but i didnt find a place to ask my q

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

I use the Project Magenta CRJ glass cockpit on a second computer and screen for the main and navigational display and an old laptop for the FMC, and set the zoom on my main out-the-front screen to where I just see the cockpit window and the autopilot buttons. Essentially, just to the point where the main nav display would be looking down.

I use a little program called XMouse button control to program the click wheel for the shift-O (I think that's the panning combo) for when I want to look around the cockpit or out the window, otherwise my attention is focused on the displays during takeoff and landing.

FYI 90% of the time I use the mouse+spacebar to pan around - I find that a surprising number of simmers don't know about this feature in FSX. I have a TrackIR and EZCA and Opus and all of that, but most of the time when I don't feel like getting that stuff all set up, I just use the mouse - functions exactly like "mouselook" in a first person shooter game.

777 is fixing this zoomed out with huge windows look btw too, we spent a crazy amount of time getting the view right. It's much more constrained out the front and looks very close to what you actually see sitting in the seat.

Hey cool! I set the entry to "Tue" now and zoomed to .80. It looks really good! Are there any screens that can´t handle the "True" value? I mean i have a 1920 x 1080 screen/resolution. Is it ok that i set the value to "True"? 

Nice to hear that you, PMDG, create the most realistic view for the 777 VC cockpit. It would be nice if you write down a tutorial in the manuals about getting the realistic view (Set zoom to .80 etc.). 

A realistic cockpit view is very important for me. It´s funny to see that some people fly an aircraft while they sit on the jumpseat^^. 

I use this too. Is there anyway to configure FSX so that the mouse is always the look tool without having to hold down the spacebar? Save a hand or a finger that could be used on the yoke! Would make it easier to look around on approaches

In my opinion that wouldn't work. I also use mouse+spacebar to pan around, and also fly with speakers pretty loud, the vibration from them moves the mouse ever so slightly and can trigger the pointer...so for me, it wouldn't work :lol:

I use this too. Is there anyway to configure FSX so that the mouse is always the look tool without having to hold down the spacebar? Save a hand or a finger that could be used on the yoke! Would make it easier to look around on approaches

You can do this if you have EZCA. Holding the middle mouse button down lets you steer the view with the mouse. I also have a small amount of lateral and vertical movement set up for the pilot view too (usually 0.02 lateral and 0.01 vertical). This makes panning and tilting much more natural as in real life your eye point moves right when you look right, it move up when you look up. I can then view the overhead and centre pedestal easily without using other preset views. I find this the perfect set up. I rarely use other views I have set up in EZCA, though as it only takes a few minutes to do I still set them up, it's a once only task for each add on. Anyone who has EZCA but has given up with it might like to try this idea.

I'm completely with Ryan about VC zoom. I set my primary view so that I can just view the main flight instruments at the bottom of the screen, zoomed out just enough to give a good view over the glareshield.. Zoom can then be as close to perfect as possible (maybe 0.8 or 0.9). Things are more constrained in the NGX as the view through the HGS is the primary consideration.  Zooming out to 0.5 or less is very unnatural and not much use unless you have excellent resolution and eyesight to read the flight displays.

ki9cAAb.jpg

sidh, on 07 Jul 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

sidh, on 07 Jul 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

1.0 zoom is the most accurate and use Ezdok for adjusting position

This is quite true. The gentleman in this video explains in detail why and also how zoom 1 with wiedeviewaspect is the same as .75 in in non-wideview mode and that 3d "perspective" is correct with these settings. Which is why we must always qualify Wideview on or off in any discussion surrounding favorite zoom.

Regardless, Zoom 1.0 is technically correct if using wideviewaspect and .75 is when not but your FOV must be dealt with and your perception of it is affected by changing the physical distance from which you sit at the monitor versus its size. If you think of a screen as a window that you can move closer to or further from, there is a point where the scene out the window is correct which is when it fills 35 degrees of your Vertical field of view. There is a calculation for correct distance of a screen so that it fills about 35 degrees of your VERTICAL field of view which he covers in part two of the video.

In the end, to compensate for distance to screen, I have settled on .75 with wideviewaspect on my 27" at about arms length from seated at the controls. For my screen size and viewing distance, it (zoom .75) seems to fill at least about 35 degrees vertical. He explains this at about 11:20 in the video.

http://youtu.be/qjbCFNSofpk

Anything further out in zoom is too fish-eye and 1.0 is just missing too much peripheral even though it is not technically correct. So .75 is my personal go to zoom for my seating arrangement and screen size.

I also use trackir.

C.

Elliot,

I use X-Mouse Button Control. http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

What I did was create an FSX profile in X-Mouse, and switched the mouse look button from the spacebar to the enter key (Yours can be anything, just make sure you don't use it in-sim) inside FSX.  Then I setup X-Mouse to press enter when I hit the middle mouse button, so now when I want to look around, I press the middle mouse button and my mouse switches to the look tool, then press it again to freeze the view when I'm ready to press the button/switch/knob I want. Very easy to use.

It will work fine with one monitor.

This is quite true. The gentleman in this video explains in detail why and also how zoom 1 with wiedeviewaspect is the same as .75 in in non-wideview mode and that 3d "perspective" is correct with these settings. Which is why we must always qualify Wideview on or off in any discussion surrounding favorite zoom.

Regardless, Zoom 1.0 is technically correct if using wideviewaspect and .75 is when not but your FOV must be dealt with and your perception of it is affected by changing the physical distance from which you sit at the monitor versus its size. If you think of a screen as a window that you can move closer to or further from, there is a point where the scene out the window is correct which is when it fills 35 degrees of your Vertical field of view. There is a calculation for correct distance of a screen so that it fills about 35 degrees of your VERTICAL field of view which he covers in part two of the video.

In the end, to compensate for distance to screen, I have settled on .75 with wideviewaspect on my 27" at about arms length from seated at the controls. For my screen size and viewing distance, it (zoom .75) seems to fill at least about 35 degrees vertical. He explains this at about 11:20 in the video.

Anything further out in zoom is too fish-eye and 1.0 is just missing too much peripheral even though it is not technically correct. So .75 is my personal go to zoom for my seating arrangement and screen size.

I also use trackir.

C.

If we buy into this zoom factor of 1.0 when wideviewaspect=true theory, this is the math.

Your distance from monitor is height divided by .61

My screen is 34 cm high. Distance therefore should be 56 cm. While that indeed is roughly my distance, I still use .75 zoom anyway. Might bump to .80 or .90 at most but not sure.

C.

I believe Ctrl+O will do this and lock mouse look on. Problem is you can't adjust things in the cockpit without turning it back off.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I believe Ctrl+O will do this and lock mouse look on. Problem is you can't adjust things in the cockpit without turning it back off.

i found a neat trick to this that i use for taxing. hold down the space bar then hold down the ctrl key then let go of the space bar. Effectively is a mouse lock and you only need to either right click or hit the space bar again to deactivate.

I used to have the wideview turned off and often use zoom .40 but now with wideview on i use .60, Reason i use this is because i like to see the entire cockpit without needing to pan around but at the same time i can't see everything unless i actually look at the instruments or look out the window. Feels much more realistic to me. Though i am glad that PMDG are setting up the view point properly since I've never sat in a 777 i wouldn't know what you'd normally see.

http://youtu.be/qjbCFNSofpk

I also use trackir.

C.

Awesome video series there! I'd never seen that before - that guy did a great job explaining it!

This has been my go-to video for explaining what horizontal FOV settings (basically what WideViewAspect=True is) in games do for a while - it's more general but also does a great job of explaining the mathematics and optics aspects of why this is important:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Does the shaking feel more realistic than say opus ? what are the "eye level" effects ?

Thanks

Hi, I can't compare it to opus since I don't use opus, however I find it to be very realistic and very easy to adjust. The eye level effect is that you can save the vertical and horizontal view outnof the cockpit. I have my joystick configured to center my view when I press a button.

Reik Namreg

One is sufficient.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Awesome video series there! I'd never seen that before - that guy did a great job explaining it!

This has been my go-to video for explaining what horizontal FOV settings (basically what WideViewAspect=True is) in games do for a while - it's more general but also does a great job of explaining the mathematics and optics aspects of why this is important:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

His REX video is hilarious. :-)

Not sure I can do zoom 1.0 personally. Experimenting but .75 still feels right.