Sign in to follow this  
Piper9t3

Crazy FPS spikes

I have just completed a fresh re-install of FSX onto its own dedicated ssd. I have tweaked fsx.cfg with BP=0, HIGHMEMFIX=1 and TML=4096. I have set FPS to unlimited in FSX and set external limiter to 30 fps in NI. Start FSX and get erratic fps spikes 20-30-60-single digits - its all over the place. Tried locking fps to 30 fps in FSX but still getting crazy fps spikes. I don't understand what is causing this. How do you achieve a steady 30fps??

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Try TML at 2048 (still HD).  The highmemfix=1 is a fix, not a tweak for better fps.  High display driver settings will slow things down too as you are asking FSX to render the most extreme textures in the fastest time possible.  Lower a couple of fsx settings too.  Try those in the Orbx manual (if you have one).  They work for all scenery.  It is impossible to maintain a steady 30 fps near the ground, inside VC's, and not until you are well off the ground, maybe at cruise altitude.  You might be able to maintain a steady 30fps if you lower all of your scenery sliders down to a very minimum.

I personally am not in favor of the BP=0 "tweak" - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/281538-the-bp0-conclusions/.  I do like this one -

[bUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=262144

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi John, if like me you use the Bufferpools tweak and experience graphical spikes, this can be easily rectified by increasing your water settings to High 2.x. Now, in doing so you will sacrifice the frame increase you have gained by using [bUFFERPOOLS] Usepools=0, BUT, you have gained better water rendition IMO and most of all the added smoothness that is often associated with the Bufferpools tweak. Nick Needham bangs on about it being a waste waste of time to use the tweak if you then have to run the data through an additional shader, BUT in my experience, as I say, you do benefit by having nicer water and also a smoother sim. :wink:  BTW, FWIW, I have never had any success whatsoever by using any other frame setting other than FSX being locked at 30 in FSX.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Set nVidia Inspector to 1/2 Vsync (I suppose setting it to 30 like you did is something else...?) and lock ingame to 30. That should prevent fps spikes...

Hi John, if like me you use the Bufferpools tweak and experience graphical spikes, this can be easily rectified by increasing your water settings to High 2.x. Now, in doing so you will sacrifice the frame increase you have gained by using [bUFFERPOOLS] Usepools=0, BUT, you have gained better water rendition IMO and most of all the added smoothness that is often associated with the Bufferpools tweak. Nick Needham bangs on about it being a waste waste of time to use the tweak if you then have to run the data through an additional shader, BUT in my experience, as I say, you do benefit by having nicer water and also a smoother sim. :wink: BTW, FWIW, I have never had any success whatsoever by using any other frame setting other than FSX being locked at 30 in FSX.

I share your opinion. My experience was the same, i can't get better combination of graphic qulality and smoothnest then using BF tweak. I tried also Nick's set of recommendations and i get a 10fps less and nice slideshow at any bigger airport. I'm not saying that Nick is not good, but we must try all approaches and see what works best. Different systems - different experience :)

For John, to answer OP: Go to Nvidia Control Panel and check in Display section that your refresh rate is 60Hz. If so, use nvidia inspector https://www.dropbox.com/s/92g87a4ri15yeym/nvidiaInspector.zip

and set FSX profile like here: http://imageshack.us/a/img163/7515/capturelfo.png

For this profile to work, start fsx, go to settings and under graphics tab - set filtering to "Anisotropic" and limit FPS to 30.

FSX being locked at 30 in FSX.

lock ingame to 30. That should prevent fps spikes...

Gonna keep it locked inside FSX...

John Pipilas

Gonna keep it locked inside FSX...

one more thing, you have great hardware to run FSX at high settings, google for "Word Not Allowed's Flight Simulation World" and folow his recommendations

Zelijko

I have read thru Word Not Allowed's guide many times! I Must be making a fundamental mistake here. Gonna keep at it trying to correct this...thanks for the help

Set nVidia Inspector to 1/2 Vsync

Jeroen is there any special tweak needed in fsx.cfg for using 1/2Vsync?

John Pipilas

John, you must try this  increasing your water settings to High 2.x  

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Will do Howard! thx

John Pipilas

Zelijko

I have read thru Word Not Allowed's guide many times! I Must be making a fundamental mistake here. Gonna keep at it trying to correct this...thanks for the help

Jeroen is there any special tweak needed in fsx.cfg for using 1/2Vsync?

No, none at all!

Try setting your Bufferpools to 20000000 or 25000000 and remember  UsePools =0 should only be used if you have  2GB or more dedicated video memory on your graphics card. 

UsePools=1 utilizes the computers memory and UsePools=0 draws memory from the video card directly.

Also if you are running a quadcore processor try different Affinity Mask settings =14 is the standard but you can also try 255, 63, 252, and 254.  A lot of people get stutters with 255 but try them out and see if you get some improvment.

If you are so inclined you can drop a copy of your current FSX CFG. in a pm to me, I will have a go at it and you can drop it back in your FSX and see if it makes a difference.

I have done this for like 15 people all have seen improvements and they can all now run FSX with there scenery sliders set to max with very good performance.

Hope this helps.  ~  James

tRcyI.png

Don't just use any number for AM. The numbers DO mean something! My testing has confirmed what Phil Taylor said. The rules are:

1, No AM, HT on or off, OS and FSX on core 0, threads on 1,2, and 3. With HT on virtual cores are not used.

2. HT off, AM=14, OS on core 0, FSX on core 1, and threads on 2 and 3.

3. HT on, AM=254, OS on core 0, FSX on core 1, and threads on 2, 3, and all 4 virtual cores.

HT on, AM=14, CPU temp 62C. With AM=254 my CPU temp jumps to 76C and at times goes over 80C. Stock air cooler.

Dave

You should have HT turned off period with an Intel core, AMD is a different beast altogether, and I have a friend Paul Jenkins that was on the FSX Testing team and worked with the Microsoft "Aces" team and he calculated these numbers, I am not just throwing random numbers out there dude....lol   These do work! i was just saying that AM=14 is a great stand-by but try the others.  you can go to Intel.com and find your specific processor number and see exactly how many cores and threads you have and then match it up to the number that corresponds to the AM to use.

Here is Paul's List =

For 2-core 4-thread CPU
15=1111 = ALL 4 cores
14=1110 = last 3 cores (cores read from back to front)
7=0111 = first 3 cores
3=0011 = first 2 cores
1=0001 = first core
For 4-core 8-thread CPU
255=11111111 = ALL 8 cores
254=11111110 = last 7 cores
252=11111100 = last 6 cores
127=01111111 = first 7 cores
63=00111111 = first 6 cores
For 6-core 12-thread CPU
4095=111111111111 = ALL 12 cores
4094=111111111110 = last 11 cores
4092=111111111100 = last 10 cores

tRcyI.png

I know but others may not. I just read a thread here that a guy had an I5 and was using AM=84 "cause he read it somewhere".

Dave