Sign in to follow this  
Piper9t3

Crazy FPS spikes

Managed to get FSX working smoothly (steady 30fps) without mucking around with affinity mask in my fsx.cfg......

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Glad you got it working! Tweeks are there to help you out. If they don't help, don't use them.

Which ones did you use?

Dave

I tried ALL possible settings with AM, BP, fps locked to 30 and Vsync 1/2 in Inspector, etc., but I ALWAYS do have spikes when on ground.

Here is what happens to me:

I load the flight, with the aircraft sitting on the runway threshold, VC mode but without launching the TrackIR software. No visible AI traffic, sky clear. Therefore this is a steady situation, nothing moves, nothing changes. At the beginning and for about 30-40 seconds I get about 26 to 29 fps, steady. Suddenly, after those 30-40 seconds, fps start dancing between about 15-25, very irregularly and never go back to those steady 26 to 29, with spikes up to 13 fps.

WHY does that happen? If the sim manages to run at 26-29 fps for 30-40 seconds, why do fps decrease after, without NOTHING changing?

James Goggi

I tried ALL possible settings with AM, BP, fps locked to 30 and Vsync 1/2 in Inspector, etc., but I ALWAYS do have spikes when on ground.

Here is what happens to me:

I load the flight, with the aircraft sitting on the runway threshold, VC mode but without launching the TrackIR software. No visible AI traffic, sky clear. Therefore this is a steady situation, nothing moves, nothing changes. At the beginning and for about 30-40 seconds I get about 26 to 29 fps, steady. Suddenly, after those 30-40 seconds, fps start dancing between about 15-25, very irregularly and never go back to those steady 26 to 29, with spikes up to 13 fps.

WHY does that happen? If the sim manages to run at 26-29 fps for 30-40 seconds, why do fps decrease after, without NOTHING changing?

This happened to me when i tried acceleration pack earlier this year. I just uninstalled it and installed SP1+SP2 and SDK, and everything back to normal, steady 30fps, no spikes. Same settings in both cases, but fps about 21-22 and spikes with Acceleration

Glad you got it working! Tweeks are there to help you out. If they don't help, don't use them.

Which ones did you use?

Dave

My changes to fsx.cfg....BP=0,HIGHMEMFIX=1,TML=2048 and NI settings exactly as in Post 5 above..thats it!!

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Try setting your Bufferpools to 20000000 or 25000000 and remember  UsePools =0 should only be used if you have  2GB or more dedicated video memory on your graphics card. 

UsePools=1 utilizes the computers memory and UsePools=0 draws memory from the video card directly.

Also if you are running a quadcore processor try different Affinity Mask settings =14 is the standard but you can also try 255, 63, 252, and 254.  A lot of people get stutters with 255 but try them out and see if you get some improvment.

If you are so inclined you can drop a copy of your current FSX CFG. in a pm to me, I will have a go at it and you can drop it back in your FSX and see if it makes a difference.

I have done this for like 15 people all have seen improvements and they can all now run FSX with there scenery sliders set to max with very good performance.

Hope this helps.  ~  James

You mentioned UsePools=0 causes the video card memory to be used rather than the computer memory. So, are you saying that if one is using the BufferPools and RejectThreshold settings, one can use UsePools=0 to direct the use of the video card memory as well? Reason I ask is that I thought UsePools=0 was a command to not use BufferPools.

Thanks

Danny

Danny

Probably a AI aircraft started to taxi. Try moving your AI slider to 0 to see if that stops it.

Dave

My changes to fsx.cfg....BP=0,HIGHMEMFIX=1,TML=2048 and NI settings exactly as in Post 5 above..thats it!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave

Probably a AI aircraft started to taxi. Try moving your AI slider to 0 to see if that stops it

Dave, unfortunately I tried with the slider to 0, but nothing changes. I am really curious to understand what causes that decrease after some time...

James Goggi