Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Miracle CPU, I'm baffled!

Was doing some overclocking tests, and it all went bonkers, so I reset to "optimised defaults". This is what happened...

The CPU now refuses to run at stock frequency and voltage and seems to be doing miraculous things. Doesn't matter how many times I reset to defaults. Also, my old 4.5 GHz settings now cause crashes.

In Prime...

Core temps: 69  77  77  71  So perfectly acceptable temp, but the frequency is 4.6 GHz, and the voltage is varing from 1.488 - 1.504. Ambient temp is 25.3C.

This should be impossible for Ivy Bridge, surely at 1.5 volts it should be overheating and shutting down?

I'm baffled. It's not a voltage error in CPUZ, because the Asus monitoring also reads the same frequency and voltage.

This CPU has NOT been de-lidded.

Any ideas chaps????

Hi Martin,

It must be some sort of reporting/monitoring error... That sounds impossible, and if so, it is not accurate. But, how to know?

Kind regards,

I remember this advice from some overclockers forums - never use two applications to measure the same thing - assus monitoring and CPU-Z like you did. Before i uninstalled Assus monitoring, i saw CPU temp of -60c and some other bad readings(i'd wish -60, but is not posible with air cooling :) ).

Stephen has right, it's probably monitoring error

Don't worry chaps, all is well.

I have just flashed the BIOS. Everything is back to normal now. :rolleyes: It was obviously a reporting error as Stephen said.

BIOS got corrupted.

As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I remember this advice from some overclockers forums - never use two applications to measure the same thing - assus monitoring and CPU-Z like you did. Before i uninstalled Assus monitoring, i saw CPU temp of -60c and some other bad readings(i'd wish -60, but is not posible with air cooling :) ).
Stephen has right, it's probably monitoring error

That would probably be correct if it was +60. The Asus temp monitoring measures CPU temp, based on TCase. Not core temp. Core temp is higher. Are you sure there was a minus sign there?

absolutely, this was a warning, i have some screenshots  :lol:

:biggrin: It must have believed it was submerged in a tank of liquid nitrogen.